lilygrandma
My daughter age 15 decided to put her female cat age 3yrs to sleep. (My 1st grandbaby) "lily" had stopped eating and drinking we did take lily to the vet and was told "possibly" liver disease and was given iv bag with needles and a food enhancer medication and to force feed lily. We did all yet lily still wasnt herself 100% so we took her AGAIN back to the vets and this time around we were told hospitalization would be preffered after first exam to determine how to aggresively care for her medical needs we agreed but because the vet "policy" requires a deposit payment first before hospitalization could be done which we were told approx grand total of $4000.-$6000. For treatment we needed to atleast pay $1500. Up front. We dont have that kind of money which treatment doesnt include the cost for any medications may need we ended up taking lily home contuineslly force feeding and again iv. Lily would vomit and not use her litter box and would stay under our daughter bed or underneath the bathroom counter. One nite lily made a rip in our screen and jumped out we eventually found her underneath some bushes. At that point I became angry of what I felt of being turned away from admitting lily to begin with due to the payment of deposit required before service and treatment can be started. Knowing lily at the time jumped out the window gave me hope that there is a chance for her to survive and get better so again we took lily back to the vet explained that lily never ever jumps out of windows nor has she ever escaped before again vet told us the same thing from the 1st visit and stated lily has a 50/50 chance of survival yet again lily came home. During which as days past lily became weaker and weaker. Days followed ahead and lily rapidly went down hill. One day I notice that lily couldnt stand and walk nor could she hold her head up high she pratically crawled into our hallway still not crying or meowing. As the day progressed so did lily then early in that evening lily who once was a quiet cat became loud making a grunt sound and again we took her to a different vet hospital in hopes of having her admitted again a huge deposit is required and again lily came home. We administerd her iv and medication only this time she didnt vomit as late night came lily began to meow arching her back becoming aggresive bit my husband on his finger which lily NEVER EVER did that to us or anyone else then her body started to jerk eyes twitching gurgly sound becoming louder along with the meos and her mouth open tongue sticking out. I looked into lily eyes and thats when she told me through her eyes that her time has come I cried as I was petting her and said to her no you hang in there grandma loves you and im not giving up lily buried her head into my comforter covered her eyes with her left paw and I knew she heard and understood me yet it was too late lily was already having seizures and the gurling sound was her respiratory system already shutting down I went to my daughter who came into my room and I looked at her and said its time to put lily to sleep with my eyes filled with tears. My daughter held lily in her arms and cried. I called lily vet and we took lily in and we put her too sleep within 20sec of injection. We werent prepared to answer the dreaded question of her remains my daughter told vet a communiol cremation however I didnt feel in my heart allowing some stranger to release my lily so the very next day I called the pet cremantory and lord and behold lily wasnt cremated yet so I changed the arragment to private cremation and I now have lily back home. What hurts me the most is being told by the vet it was a 50/50 chance of survival yet we kepted getting turned away because of the required deposit. Lily had a chance and on November 5th 2013 at 453am lily took her final breath. Im so outraged that a homeless indivual mentally unstable goes to any E.R. and gets adequate medical care when "animals" are turned away with extreme critical medical needs. Lily wasnt our house pet she was and forevermore be our family member. Im joining the animal right advocate campaign in honor of our "LILY" too fight for all animal breeds to be given the same medical treatment as humanes do irregardless of their financial background. I grew up all my life with dogs as I was ONLY A DOG LOVER it was my daughter who warmthed me with her unconditional love for all animal breeds. The very first time she came home with lily my heart melted. We still have 4 other felines 1 male and 3 females that we also love and adore. Lily was the first feline in our home never complained never whined drank water out of my hands or faucet siamese mix white with dark brown tail and light brown shade around her eyes to nose speck of black and hazel green almond shape eyes...very loyal very loving full of grace that didnt deserve to perish over money as my lily and the other felines are not figuares or just about $$$$$ signs they are my babies my family. RIP my lily girl 2010-nov 5th 2013. I love and miss you
Quote 0 0
LG
Oh Lillygrandma, I'm so, so sorry......  It is so hard when our babies are sick, especially when faced with a life threatening illness.  To be turned away for medical care must have been completely heart wrenching! I can't even begin to imagine how painful your experience was! I would be enraged and heartbroken.

Lilly was lucky to have a family that obviously adored her. It's clear you did everything you could for her while in an impossible situation.

Please know that I am thinking of your family during this hard time.

Sincerely,
LG
Quote 0 0
lilygrandma
Thank you for your kind comment as its soothing..lily will always and forever be in our hearts.
Quote 0 0
Catladykaren
I wish there was a way for me to save my furry daughter too. She has cancer that I can't afford to treat and I am overcome with guilt and despair. The one and only blessing is the option of euthanasia. She doesn't have to die "naturally" in pain and suffering. I just wish I didn't have to be the one to make the most terrible decision in the world. If she could somehow tell me that is what she wants and when, it might help me to let her go. But I cling to a desperate hope that she will get better and stay with me just a little longer. Right now she seems stable but I could be blinded by grief and love. I want so much to save her. If my love could heal her, she would never die. I'm on the verge of hysterics knowing my final act of love will be to end her life. I'm so sorry for your loss. All clinics should offer financing options, because loving an animal doesn't necessarily mean you have thousands in the bank.
Love is eternal....
Quote 0 0
lilygrandma
Catladykaren, iam truly sorry for what you are experiencing and what your daughter is going through. No amount of money can buy any love. As our babies mean so much more too us. There is guilt and deniel feelings I have yet as I watched lily go through the pain and suffering in her final moments I do have a little bit of peace knowing that her absolute time of putting her too sleep was indeed the right decision. My daughter and I wouldnt be able to live with ourselves had we not made the hardest decision as lily would have gone in pain. I do have lily home and I do find some comfort as I get to hold her and kiss her knowing the reality is I dont see or hear her in the flesh. Had I allowed her final destination be with some stranger I would feel like we abandon her. As time passes we as a family will decide on what proper action should we take wether its keeping or scattering. For the time being I feel some comfort in having her home. No one can make that decision for you in terms of what or how to decide which isnt easy. Think about the happy moments you two shared and look into her eyes as she will tell you. The bond is like no other and I honestly believe that animals and human are the same as our humane love ones dont want to leave us yet they also dont want to be a burden either and animals are the same. Keeping you and your daughter in prayers and just know she loves you.
Quote 0 0
LG
Hi Catladykaren,
    I am so, so sorry for the pain you are going through! My sweet dog, Chili, was diagnosed with liver ca. last December and we were told she would maybe live only a few days. We were told there were no options, not surgery, or chemo., because of the severity of her condition. She lived another four and a half months, which was an unbelievable blessing!

Since then, though, I've learned that there are homeopathic vet. doctors that might have either extended her life, or at the least, offered options for comfort that might potentially be more affordable. There are even things like aroma therapy (yes, it REALLY works! I've seen it used on horses and it's amazing), which means purchasing specific essential oils (you could probably even get some info. on line), acupuncture and other things. Dietary changes can be very helpful as well. You may want to look at the "animals with ca." site offered through Rainbow Bridge. One other thought; I don't know your situation, but you may want to look into something like Care Credit (healthcare financing), which I've had to use more times than I like to admit, since Chili had several serious medical problems over the years. Her care would have been impossible without it. I don't know if this is an option, but I wanted you t have the information.....

I must say, my biggest regret is that I didn't know about the homeopathic vets when Chili was ill.....  I wanted you to have the info. in case it might help your situation.

My thoughts are with you during this difficult time.

If your interested, Chili's memorial is at:

http://RainbowsBridge.com/residents/CHILI001/Resident.htm

Quote 0 0
Catladykaren
Moved to "She didn't want to go."
Love is eternal....
Quote 0 0
LG
Good luck Catladykaren. Having information is never a bad thing. I do want to be clear, though, that in no way was I suggesting that you should use Care Credit and move forward with aggressive treatment. No one can decide what is in your sweet kitty's best interests but you. What do I know of your little one's condition, or your life situation? I just felt I should provide you with information, based on what I've been through. Those feelings of helplessness and guilt can be SO overwhelming..... I always feel that at least if I seek out information and do all that I can, based on my animal's needs and my family's situation, I will have fewer regrets in the long run.

By the way, it is amazing the similarities between our situations; I was told Chili would only live a day or two(and she lived 4 1/2 mo.)and you were told your little one would be gone and yet she is still here! I am so saddened that I didn't know about or look for any holistic options..... I don't know that it would have helped, but that is MY regret and "what if". I wouldn't want you to have such regrets, if possible...

I know you are doing all you can for your little one. Please let us all know what you find out. I will be thinking of you.

Sincerely,
LG
Quote 0 0
LG
Hi again Catladykaren,
    I was just reading a post from Heartsick, where she provided the info. below to someone who wasn't sure if they could afford the medical care their dog needed for ca. I copied it and pasted it below, because it sound like it might help you. I hope it does......

Thank you, Heartsick!

Copied post:

I am so sorry for what you are going through.

Get in touch with these sites.

They will help you pay for emergency vet care as they believe that no pet should die because of money.

http://www.IMOM.org                

http://www.help-a-pet.org

FairyDogParents.org

Quote 0 0
lilygrandma
Hi I dont mean too be rude or insentive however please comment under catladykaren topic. I posted this topic in grieving of loosing my own grandbaby "lily" thank you
Quote 0 0
LG
Hi Lillygrandma,
    My apologies. I will admit that I'm brand new to all of this, so am still learning.... So I don't make this mistake again, when you are able, could you explain? When you say comment under catladykaren topic, where do I find this? This is probably a dumb question that will make most people roll their eyes, but I really don't know.......

Sorry again.

Sincerely,
LG
Quote 0 0
Catladykaren
I'm sorry lilygrandma, I completely understand. I know it hurts me to know that money has been an obstacle in saving our furbabies' lives. They are our family and when we go to vet, we EXPECT them to help us and especially our precious little ones. When they don't or can't it is maddening. I'm sorry for what you and your family has gone through.

LG, you can click on my name and find my original post. "She didn't want to go..."

Love is eternal....
Quote 0 0