roxy34
Hi everyone,

I do not know where to start I am at a loss. I had a beautiful labradoodle puppy that passed away two days a go. My house is so quiet, she was always bouncing on everyone. I miss the noise of her running down the stairs, sounds like an elephant. She was just over 4 months old and yes she was fully vaccinated. I also have another dog that is two years old so we are scared we are going to lose him too.
I will tell you the story of what happened.

Roxy was off her food one day and was quite sleepy but by the afternoon she was back to her normal self. Friday she vomitted twice and was sleepy again. She slept all night friday night in her crate in my bedroom. As soon as she woke up in the morning she vomitted. I thought she must have eaten something that she shouldn't have. She got worse through the morning, refusing all food and water. I tried to syringe feed her water but it all came back up. That is when we rushed her to the vet. Within 10 minutes of arriving she poo diahorrea mixed with blood 3 or 4 times. I was holding her while she was lying on the floor. The vet seemed to reassure us that she would be ok and checked her stomach for any obstruction which was clear. He said he would keep her over night on an ivf. Her heart rate was double of a normal puppy and she was in shock. He said to call him the next morning. We left her there and even in her poor state she tried to follow us out of the room. The last memory I have of her is the vet pulling her into the corridor reluctantly. Never did i think that was the last i would see her.

An hour later the vet called and said roxy had tested positive for parvo and had no white blood sells or bone marrow and she was in a lot of pain and suffering. He gave us too options, to transfer her to an isolation unit straight away in another town and she would need intensive treatment for 5 days and isolation for 10 days or to put her to sleep. We made the heartbreaking decision to put her to sleep. The vet said she had little chance of survival and she was really suffering. We had no transport to go there so we were not there while she was put to sleep. I was angry with the vet at first as I thought she was immune to the disease from her vaccines but the vet said they are not a 100%. We have had her cremated and are waiting for her ashes. I can not believe this has happened. I had to tell my young children also. Me and my partner are in a bad state and can not stop crying. The thoughts in my mind are did i do the right thing? and is roxy wondering why we left her there? I have never experienced loss like this before.
The worst thing is i feel so guilty for not being there while they put her to sleep, its killing me but i was in such a bad state i couldnt go to be with her.
Quote 0 0
BillNIndy
I'm so sorry to hear about your puppy. I know it must have been an excrutiating decision to make. Yes, you made the right decision.  At least she was is no longer suffering.  I know that doesn't make you feel any better. I keep trying to tell myself the same thing about our baby.  We lost our almost 9 year old "daughter" this morning. I don't know how to make it better.  I have yet to figure that out for myself.  But, I wanted to let you know that my thoughts are with you and I know how you must feel.

I hate that you couldn't be there with her at the end, but ultimately, it was the right decision.  I hope that everything is ok with your older dog. Cherish every moment, take a million pictures, and never forget to tell them every day that you love them.

Quote 0 0
PugsleysMom
Roxy sorry for your loss. I am spending the last night with my fur baby Pugsley. He is a 9 1/2 year old persian cat. I have to put him to sleep in the monring. He lost 5 lbs in 2 weeks. He wont eat.He has been in the hospital for a week and they think he has cancer. He keeps getting worse. I feel your pain im not sure im going to get through this for a while. Just thought i would message you take care <3
Quote 0 0
Zoeythedalmation
roxy34 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I do not know where to start I am at a loss. I had a beautiful labradoodle puppy that passed away two days a go. My house is so quiet, she was always bouncing on everyone. I miss the noise of her running down the stairs, sounds like an elephant. She was just over 4 months old and yes she was fully vaccinated. I also have another dog that is two years old so we are scared we are going to lose him too.
I will tell you the story of what happened.

Roxy was off her food one day and was quite sleepy but by the afternoon she was back to her normal self. Friday she vomitted twice and was sleepy again. She slept all night friday night in her crate in my bedroom. As soon as she woke up in the morning she vomitted. I thought she must have eaten something that she shouldn't have. She got worse through the morning, refusing all food and water. I tried to syringe feed her water but it all came back up. That is when we rushed her to the vet. Within 10 minutes of arriving she poo diahorrea mixed with blood 3 or 4 times. I was holding her while she was lying on the floor. The vet seemed to reassure us that she would be ok and checked her stomach for any obstruction which was clear. He said he would keep her over night on an ivf. Her heart rate was double of a normal puppy and she was in shock. He said to call him the next morning. We left her there and even in her poor state she tried to follow us out of the room. The last memory I have of her is the vet pulling her into the corridor reluctantly. Never did i think that was the last i would see her.

An hour later the vet called and said roxy had tested positive for parvo and had no white blood sells or bone marrow and she was in a lot of pain and suffering. He gave us too options, to transfer her to an isolation unit straight away in another town and she would need intensive treatment for 5 days and isolation for 10 days or to put her to sleep. We made the heartbreaking decision to put her to sleep. The vet said she had little chance of survival and she was really suffering. We had no transport to go there so we were not there while she was put to sleep. I was angry with the vet at first as I thought she was immune to the disease from her vaccines but the vet said they are not a 100%. We have had her cremated and are waiting for her ashes. I can not believe this has happened. I had to tell my young children also. Me and my partner are in a bad state and can not stop crying. The thoughts in my mind are did i do the right thing? and is roxy wondering why we left her there? I have never experienced loss like this before.
The worst thing is i feel so guilty for not being there while they put her to sleep, its killing me but i was in such a bad state i couldnt go to be with her.
Quote 0 0
Zoeythedalmation
A year later and couple of months bet you wouldn't think someone would comment to your fourm which i have read! I feel your pain as i have lost a beautiful 2 month old dalmation to parvo and she fought hard for her life and to stay in mine. I dropped her off at vet sunday night to be placed on iv therapy which got the news this morning she had passed away. I feel horrible i left her and she was whinning for me and i am not sure that the depression killed her or if the parvo did! I feel like i abandoned my friend on a lost ship out in the sea and the ship as sunk not to reach me ! I can only hope those last memories in my arms were her last and maybe one day i will see her again ! I hope to get another dalmation girl soon and i pray to the good lord above to keep her healthy ! I know how you feel and you are not alone ... My presious zoey rip for i will see you again
Quote 0 0
FrecklesMom
I am so sorry for your loss. Parvo is awful. Zoey was so blessed to have you. Sending you hugs.
FrecklesMom

I will Love you forever sweet boy.
Quote 0 0
FrecklesMom
I am so sorry for your loss of Roxy as well.
FrecklesMom

Quote 0 0
roxy34
Thanks, it was really hard. But time does ease the pain. I now have another labradoodle puppy from the same litter as roxy. She is 15 weeks old and as gorgeous as her sister. I still have a fear about taking her out in walks because of what happened to roxy.
Quote 0 0
FrecklesMom
I can understand completely. I have a new puppy and we are going to get his last round of puppy shots today. I have kept him in the house since 1/11/14. (Except for my court yard, I let him out there some.)

HUGS
FrecklesMom

Quote 0 0
Browniejonelson
I lost my beautiful brown pitbull puppy four days to this. I was in the same boat as you I thought he ate something bc he is always getting in something and man he had a stomache of steel like he has actually gotten into antifreeze and the vet said he is okay and within an hour after fluids was okay so I was thinking something like that happen so we waited to take him to the vet bc he only picked once. But over the next day he slowly lost his appetite I tried feeding him with my own hands food I tried hot dogs hamburgers anything he wouldn't eat he would drink water but never would eat so finally we said we'll take him to the vet and on the way to the vet he passed away in my arms . I've lost my soul, he was upto date with all of his shots and I'm not sure how this happens. Everything reminds me of him and I just hope he helps me get through this. I'm glad he isn't suffering anymore
Quote 0 0
jackdanielz
Rest in peace Roxy..  I just lost my boy Apollo 6month old boerboel cross.. Showed the exact same signs as Roxy..  He was perfectly fine, always jumping around all over the place with his sister Harley.. chewing and eating everything in site.  Waiting for me to get up every morning running up to me almost toppling me over..  Then on a wednesday he ate his morning food very slowly and throughout the day looked to be more calm n passive, by the evening he didnt eat at all.  Not from my hand, nothing.. The next day the same.  And he puked a few times. By Friday I took him to the vet, they hydrated him, gave him an antibiotic and told me to call back in the morning to let them know if his mood had changed.  It didnt. I had to take him to an emergency vet, where he tested postive for Parvo and was put on the expensive treatment right away. By Sunday today, few hours ago he didnt make it.. Rip my boy :(   Before all of this i'v never in my life ever heard of Parvo, never ever had problems with previous dogs i'v owned or puppies i'v raised.  This has certainly come as a shock..  I loved him with all my heart and spent so much of time with them.  Even more heartbreaking, his sister has showed signs of it today, i took her to emergency vet aswell, and she has tested positive for Parvo..  She is currently in treatment..  Please god help her survive..   

This is such a scary thing.. I wish i knew more about it before this happened..  
Takecare people..   Going to cry my ass off now.
Quote 0 0