bluegreen_eyes
I just have to let this out.

After my dog Max died, I feel like something about me is missing. I feel so depressed and alone that even my relationship can't seem to make it better. I'm afraid I'm getting too emotional about my loss that I am now ignoring my partner. What do I have to do? I know I'm not doing the right thing but I can't help it. I'm just too emotionally drained that I can't seem to find reasons to value other things as of the moment. 
bluegreen_eyes
Quote 0 0
MAlcindor
I'm sorry for what you are going through. Maybe your relationship is suffering from lack of emotional support? I don't know what to say to you. I know that I wish my husband was more supportive and understanding of what I feel I need to go through. He wants me to be happy and I just can't. I'm depressed, sad, angry, and I don't know how long it is going to last. It has not affected my relationship with him, yet, but I know he doesn't really get why I feel the way I feel and I just cannot hurry up and get past it. The grief is exhausting not only physically but mentally, it drains everything out of you and you feel you have nothing left to give anyone. I feel your pain and completely understand where you are coming from. I pray for better days ahead for all of us.
Quote 0 0
camunki
I am sorry for the loss of your Max, he is a huge part of your life and it will take a long time to heal. As for your relationship, sometimes the relationship may go thru phases and ups and downs, but now is the time for you to heal. I know the first week i was basically numb, even after months, many months I was still crying every day and I know the first year is by far the hardest. Have you had a chance to talk to your partner and let him know exactly how you  feel. It is hard to grieve and also hard to go on in a loving relationship without meltdowns. I think if you talk with your partner, things should work out.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.......and again, sorry about your sweet Max.

Cam

Quote 0 0
bluegreen_eyes
Yes, I feel so detached as of the moment. I know I have to do something about this grief and save my relationship as well, but I can't seem to think properly. I love my partner as much as I love Max, but it's hard to just forget about everything. I tried reading some relationship advice from various websites and I realize, I'm not alone in this. If and if, will my partner understand if I would ask for some space? I don't want to lose him and I'm afraid that if I continue being like this, I might expect it to happen soon. :(
bluegreen_eyes
Quote 0 0
Tankie12
I’m sorry your going through this, all of this. You said you were seeking out advise online, have you looked under ‘the loss of a child’? That’s what this is to many of us, the pain and grieving are the same. I’m sure your husband loved Max, but not all love is the same. My husband has no idea the depths of my grief, yet I have no doubts he loved my Tankie with a passion. It doesn’t matter, I grieve like a mother, and it’s epic. At about 3 months this showed up, unexpectedly, it spoke to me, maybe u also, take care,,,,,
Lynn, Tankie’s mom, forever
Quote 0 0
MAlcindor
Lynn is absolutely correct. We just have to learn to live with the immense sadness that we feel in our hearts for it will never go away. I'm beginning to realize that. Every day the sadness just overwhelms me and I have to somehow accept that this is my life now. We have to communicate that to our partners and somehow try to make them understand that it has nothing to do with them, rather it's a life adjustment we are currently going through which we need to first accept and then get accustomed to. I hate that we have to be going through something so utterly sad and devastating.
Quote 0 0
OmarR
When I lost my Emma, I was "unapproachable" for at least 6 months. My wife didn't know what to do with me. Emma was more attached to her than me, but she was more pragmatic about the loss.

My wife had to bear with me for a long time. She still kind of still does, as the loss will always be a part of me now, as your loss will always be a part of you. I truly hope your significant other is patient with you and understands that this is a process that has no time limit and no right & wrong.

Have you communicated with him everything that you are feeling? He needs to realize that you are going to need his support during this time of need for you.
Quote 0 0