sooverwhelmed49
My 15 year old cat was put down today. I'm almost 22 years old, so I grew up with him. He wasn't healthy and couldn't have been happy at the end of his life. He could barely walk, had trouble going to the bathroom, couldn't get up the stairs, and apparently had kidney problems. It was either put him down, or let him struggle. Both were awful, but my parents decided to put him down today.

I didn't go with them to the vet, but I laid with him for 2 hours before they took him in. I feel guilty for not going, but I didn't think I could take it. My house feels empty without him. I'm someone who doesn't have many friends to begin with, so having my cat at home was important to me. He was always there, and didn't care about how I looked or anything. Now he's gone, and I feel alone/lost.

I haven't eaten at all today, and don't want to do anything. Everything I enjoy just seems so pointless. I want my cat back.
Quote 0 0
winstonsmom12
I am truly sorry for the loss of your baby/family member.  Fifteen years is a long time to have a best friend.  He sounds like he had many problems, and it wouldn't have been fair to prolong his suffering.  Don't feel guilty about not being there.  He knows you laid with him those  two hours cuddling and probably talking to him.  He knows he was loved.  You're probably in shock, it being so new and early.  He lived a long and I'm sure loving life.

Come here often and tell us more about your baby.  All of us here are grieving the loss of  the love of our lives.  I know I certainly still am..  Sue 
Susan
Quote 0 0
Bailey15
I am so sorry you lost your cat. It was so nice that you spent all that time with him before he went and then he would have felt safe going with your parents. We lost our little dog in November and it is over so quickly (at the vet's) but we spent the afternoon with him and that's what I remember most. It was quality time to let him know we loved him - just like you ddid with your cat today. I remember how empty the house felt and I kept looking at all of the places Bailey should have been. It was so very painful so I really sympathize with what you are going through. It does get better with time although you will always miss them and know that someday we will see them again. So sorry for your loss!!
MJ
Quote 0 0
CK1991
My deepest sympathy on the loss of your beloved cat! Your family made the right decision to take his pain away even thought you are missing him so much and are in so much pain yourself. Also, please try to take comfort in the fact that you gave your cat a wonderful life. Animals sense so much - he very likely knew his time was short and was so happy that you laid with him and let him know how loved he was.
Take Care of yourself! Thinking of you,
CK
Quote 0 0