ljoy537
I feel lost without my greyhound, Fly, following me around the house. Not hearing his nails clicking on the hardwood floor.  I couldn't do anything without my furry friend being by my side. I don't know how I will ever get used to him not being here with me anymore.

Fly left me yesterday.  He was a 10 year old greyhound.  I rescued him when he was 3.  He had raced in NJ, and he was rescued when he retired.  Fly had a difficult time finding his forever home though.  It took him 3 tries to find his forever home.  He was a very special and shy boy, and I understood he just needed love, patience and kindness to bring him out of his shell.   He was the happiest, silliest, and sweetest.  His personality was amazing!

He broke his leg 5 years ago, and I had the surgery to fix it.  All my friends and family thought I was crazy to spend that much money on an animal.  To me, it was not just an animal.  He was MY hound.  My bud.  My crazy guy. My Fly

I took fly to the vet a month ago for a check up.  I had told the vet that he was favoring the leg that he had broken, and the vet said they sometimes do that as they get older.  The vet checked his entire body over and found no lumps that were suspicious.  

Fly fell twice this past week.  He was favoring his back leg so much that when he got excited he wasn't balanced and fell.  I bought him non skid socks (the cutest things!) and put them on his feet so he wouldn't fall down.  I thought maybe that would help him.

Yesterday, he told me he was in pain.  He was panting, shaking, not using the leg.  We had to carry him out of the house to our SUV because he didn't have the strength to keep himself up.   My Fly had cancer in his leg.  Not unusual in the breed.  But I could not believe the amount of bone that was gone, and that my Fly lived like that without complaining.  He also had an infection, caused by the cancer, in the area where his leg had been bolted together.  The joint was completely gone.

I gave him the best life, and he gave me the most amazing 7 years.   He was the most amazing dog.  I'm missing him very much and the tears keep rolling.  

Quote 0 0
Fifi1992
Hello,

I am very sorry to hear about your dear fly. I lost my burmese cat nearly two weeks ago and tears still keep coming. It sounds like you gave this dog the best life ever, and if it wasn't for you he wouldn't have had all the love and affection. I feel for you though. This website is so good for support I've found. You're in my thoughts x
Quote 0 0
serenasmom
I also lost my babygirl on Sunday and I am devastated. No one understands why I'm grieving so hard!  They say it gets better with time, and I guess we'll see!
My baby girl left me on Oct. 20, 2013 after giving us the best 9 years of our life!
Quote 0 0
ljoy537
I'm sorry for both of your losses.  :( 

I have been home for 8 weeks on FMLA from having back surgery.  I knew Fly wasn't going to be with me much longer because he stopped using his leg.  I had time to prepare my mind for the loss - but not how much my heart hurts from him not being here with me anymore.  I have to sit in this house - without my crazy, loving greyhound.  It is the hardest thing I have ever done in my life.

Serenasmom- it does get better with time.  I also lost 2 cats this year (I've lost all three of my animals with in 7 months).  I was so sad and cried for weeks over both of them.  It's such a difficult adjustment not to have them anymore.  It's ok that you are upset and others dont understand.  It is your grief and yours alone.  And it's ok that you cry and feel sad.  hugs

Losing my Fly though has left a hole in my heart.  He was with me through a divorce, his broken leg, one son moving out, 2 others graduating and moving on with their lives.  My life feels empty without him.  He loved me so much and I love him.  

We also have a boxer named Jack.  He is 5 years old.  My bf had him and I brought Fly into their home.  they were together for 2.5 years.  I called them the bros. :)  Jack is just as lost as I am without Fly.  He hasn't eaten much since Fly left us on Thursday. He's not his usual happy clownish self.  I have been taking him for lots of walks with me and spending time with him.   I guess him and I will get through this loss together.  

Thanks for reading.  I hope you are all feeling a little better.  
hugs

Quote 0 0
sadieandsugar
Im sorry for your loss, and sorry the chat quit working it does that sometimes, maybe we can chat again soon, if you need someone to talk to just email me at sadieandsugar@live.com, I would love to here more about your baby boy when you are ready to share. you take care and godbless, sadiesmommy
my sweet sadie girl she was a pomeranian and she was the sweetest little girl ever, she loved every one and she loved life in general she was my child because my husband and I could never have kids of our own, so she was definately our daughter, she was thebest furkid ever in my life we were soul mates from the beginning , we adopted her when she was only 8 weeks old, she was so cute and then she turned out to be the most beautiful pomeranian ever I have ever seen in my life. she was with us for 8 wonderful years but I didnt think that was long enough she was so young when we had to put her to sleep, she had diabetes foe a few years and then her kidneys just started shutting down it was so sad it killed us when we had to say goodbye to sadie!!!!!!!
Quote 0 0