lynpayne
Yesterday, after five months since his collapse from congestive heart disease, I suddenly lost my seven year old chihuahua, Rio.  Less than two weeks ago I lost my 10 year old whippet, Blue to IMHA.   Blue was a typical beautiful, loving boy.  Rio was a typical Mummy's boy, he was my shadow and also my light.  If I sat down he would ask to be picked up so he could be beside me, at night, he slept in the crook of my leg.  Tonight, as I have sat where I usually do, I have felt the need to pick him up  or look to my left and stroke him, whilst on the internet but he is not there.  I will go to bed shortly and he will not jump down from the sofa race up the stairs  and wait for me to lift him up and put him on the bed. I will not  recover from my loss, I will just put one foot in front of the other ..... as I sit here now I thought I heard the tiny little pitter, patter of his feet , saying come on Mum its time for bed.  You will never know my sweet darling, how much I miss  you. xxx

Quote 0 0
Twilight
Lyn - So sorry that you've had to say goodbye to your two dogs, Blue and Rio.  It's heartbreaking to lose one pet, but two in such a short period of time is unthinkable. You must be absolutely devastated, and rightly so.  I'm glad that you found this website. The people here are especially kind and understanding.  Most are suffering the recent loss of a pet so they know what kind of feelings you are having right now. I don't know if I could have made it through this past week if I hadn't found The Rainbow Bridge.     

Your Chihuahua, Rio, sounds like such an adorable little guy.  My brother has one, so I know how sweet and loving they are. I don't know much about Whippets, except that they are beautiful dogs, and they love to run! I'm sure that you will continue to miss them both forever more.  
I hope you have support at home, to help you get through this terrible time?  I'll be thinking about you tonight, and hope that you will visit this site again tomorrow.
Quote 0 0
lynpayne
Twilight, thank you so much for your kind words, you are a very caring person.  Yes losing a pet is unbearable and I have lost three at a young age in the last two years.  I have one dog left from the gang.  Sonny, he is 2 years and 9 months old.  I am 64 and have had dogs all my life and they have all died of old age but these last three sweet darlings of mine, Coco, Blue and Rio  were taken by horrible diseases and died too young.  Never thought that I would say it but I will never get another dog, I simply would not be able to  endure this terrible pain again. xx  
Quote 0 0
Twilight
Lyn - I'm glad that you still have Sunny, and that he is young, and will live for many more years. I know how you feel about never getting another dog, and I definitely understand. I've also had many dogs and cats over my lifetime, and they all lived a long life and died of natural causes, except for one dog, (a Springer Spaniel), who got out and was hit by a car.  I was heartbroken when it happened, and I still remember how terrible I felt, and saying that I would never get another dog . . . but I was a young woman then, and eventually I healed. We had three more dogs over the years, and three cats.  Then we went for many many years before we got our cat, Winnie.  When he died a week ago tomorrow, (Thursday), he was 19 years old.  However, we didn't have him for all of those years. We only had him for 10 years.

He belonged to our oldest daughter, who is almost your age.  She got divorced, was not well, and moved into a small apartment with our autistic granddaughter. They could only have one cat there, so they kept granddaughter's younger cat, and we took Winnie.  I quickly fell in love with him, and was so happy to have him.  I know he had a wonderful life with us, and he gave us so much pleasure in return. I miss him terribly, and I know I will never get over it.  We are too old now to even consider getting another pet.  I know it would outlive us, and then what would happen to it. 
So now you know more than you ever wanted to know about my life.  I hope you are feeling a little better today, and that you will slowly begin to heal.

Quote 0 0
lynpayne
I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved boy Winnie, he must have had a wonderful life with you, the best any cat could ask for.  It is a testament to your care that he lived to be such a good old ripe age.  Your home, like, mine must be lonely without him, but I can understand your concern that another cat could outlive you and then you would worry about it.  I hope that you are healing as the days go by and  even though you will always miss Winnnie he is always in your heart. x    
Quote 0 0