Caverlady
My beautiful beautiful girl Maggie, a 13 year old Sheltie crossed Rainbow Bridge on Friday.  She has been sick with heart trouble for quite a while, but strangely enough, it wasn't her heart that was the problem.  In fact the vet said that her heart sounded good.  Instead, her kidneys went into complete shutdown, perhaps because of the meds she was taking, so we had to put her down.

Maggie wasn't a puppy when she came into our lives.  She joined our family when my father-in-law passed away and quickly became a beloved family member.  She bonded with me almost instantly and we became inseparable.  She was cute and funny.  She would play rough with her "brother" our Black Lab Cody, and she would bark at anything and everything.  We called her the "Queen of Virginia Beach," because on a trip there, almost everyone we met wanted to stop to pet her.

She had been on a lot of medication for her heart condition since January and seemed to be doing well.  We went on vacation to Florida from 3/17 to 3/22 and when we came back, she seemed to be fine, all excited about us coming home and jumping around and playing.  Over the course of the next weekend, she seemed to lose her appetite, but she was drinking water, so we thought that perhaps she had picked up a bug.  We took her to the vet on Thursday, 3/29 because he appetite had not improved and she had stopped taking water.  The doctor gave her fluids, did some blood work, and sent us home cautiously optimistic.  She did seem a little better on the morning of Friday, 3/30, but about halfway through my workday, my husband called with the news that she was in complete renal failure and we had to put her down.  The arrangements were made for after work, and after a completely miserably remainder of the workday, I went to the vet to say good-bye to my baby girl.  I managed to smile and remain upbeat during the procedure so that she wasn't afraid, but I was dying inside.

The grief is overpowering, and all I want to do is sit and cry.  I know that this will pass, but it is just agony.  My friends and family are supportive, but I am just devastated.  My throat is raw and sore from crying and my voice is ridiculously hoarse.  I just wish I could have my baby back.
Quote 0 0
GodzillasMom
Caverlady, I am so sorry for your loss.
I feel your pain my fur baby crossed over on Wednesday, March 28, 2018.  He was just six weeks shy of his 15th birthday.  I had him since he was six weeks old.  It was the most difficult thing I have ever experienced.  He was my lil shadow, he was my fur baby and now he is gone.  He was my daily priority, feeding, medication and walking.  He became diabetic three years ago, the diabetes, gave him cataracts, glaucoma, high blood glucose, high liver enzymes and pancreatitis.  We did all we could to keep him healthy and happy but his little 7 lb body was breaking down.  It was gut wrenching to watch him slowly decline, he collapsed on Wednesday morning and passed that night.  I love him so much and miss him terribly.  I too just want my baby back but I do believe that they are in a better place, no more death, no more sickness and no more pain.
Quote 0 0
tr4822
I also just lost my senior furbaby on Thursday. So sorry for your loss. The pain is intense and the sadness seems never ending right now. I guess it passes in time. I want to believe so bad that I will see her again in Heaven.  We just have to have faith that we will. Our furbabies are one of God's greatest gifts. I just wish he would have created dogs with longer lifespans. I have another younger furbaby but that doesn't stop the pain of losing my beloved KC. Hope you find some comfort in the coming days , weeks, months. We still have our babies in our hearts and in our minds forever.
Thomas H. Rhodes
Quote 0 0
catiebee
I am so, so sorry for your loss, Caverlady. There's almost nothing that compares to the awful pain the first few days. It's beyond hideous.  

I wish you comfort, strength and healing day by day. Hugs to you!
Catie
-Missing Marissa deeply
Quote 0 0
Caverlady
It's been almost 2 weeks now and people keep sending me links to rescues and photos of cute puppies.  I know that they're trying to help, but it just makes me miss my baby girl even more.  I am now able to smile and laugh, but the tears still come when least expected.  I miss Maggie May so much!  My husband is going out of town next week, and even though we still have our Black Lab, it will be hard without my fearless Sheltie, guarding the door while we're alone.  She always seemed to feel like it was her responsibility to keep me/us safe.
Quote 0 0