Charlies_Mom
I had lost Charlie before Christmas and now the deep freeze has taken my old horses. Even a heated barn could not save them. 17 years ago I went to a horse auction with a friend. We sat in the stands and next to us a man started biding on a very old horse in the ring. He said he wanted him to butcher and feed to his dogs. Next thing I knew my hand went up and I bid against him. The horse was thin, old and bones but when the rider started to prance him, he looked so proud and his head was high. I finally won the betting and had to pay the pound for this horse but I wanted to give him a home and not be killed. I paid for him and ran down to see him since I never bought any horse at an auction. The vet said you bought an 29 year old blind horse that if you are luckie may live a year. I was luckie 16 more times after that year. The workers help loaded him into my friends trailer and then they loaded a pony. I did not buy a pony. They said this was the old horses see in eye pony and they go together. I called the large horse bargain and his old pony short cake. They were inseparable. Bargain and short cake gained weight and enjoyed life as field buddies. Regular vet checks they both were the oldest patience the vet had. Last Friday temperatures below zero both horse rapped in think blanket, in the barn, I had to bring out warm water as instructed by the vet. 2am Check both Bargin and short cake stopped eating and would not even take a treat. Bargin had never refused a treat in his 17 years with me. I called the vet on an emergency call. He was out in an hour. Both horses were in distress. Bargin and short cake were suffering. The vet could not do anything for these two 46 and 40 year old horses. He suggest to stop the pain and allow then to dye together since one could not live without the other. Next to each other the vet gave them an injection and both fell to the ground. I burried then together in the same grave. My heart hurts so bad this winter. I pray that Charlie, Bargin and short Cake will forgive me but I could not watch them suffer only to die at the end of it.

Charlie’s, Bargin and short Cakes Mom
Breckie
Quote 0 0
camunki
I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved Charlie, Bargin and short Cakes...........was Charlie a horse also? I am so glad you gave your Bargin and Short Cakes an added 16 to 17 years of life filled with lots of good food and life as "buddies". 

I am sorry the cold frigid weather took on the health of your sweet babies Bargin and Short cakes and they were set free together. You were with your babies to the very end and gave them a life they never would have had since you rescued them.

Please know you will meet again your Charlie, Bargin and Short cakes and the grieving period is a tough road to be on, especially losing three beloved pets in such a close period of time. I am sure the pain comes on 3x as much.

Please keep posting and know you are not alone ((((hugs from Cam))

Cam

Quote 1 0
Charlies_Mom
Cam

Thank you for your kind words. Charlie was a lab mix dog that passes Dec 7 th of cancer. All passes with in a month. I still can not believe they are gone.

Charlie, Bargin and Short cakes mom
Breckie
Quote 0 0
jimmy17
Hi Charlies Mom - I am so very sorry for your losses, to say goodbye to your 3 beloved friends is truly heartbreaking, and right now, your grief is totally overwhelming.  First of all, can I say what a beautiful thing you did in rescuing Bargin and Short cake - you gave them such a wonderful life in their old age - indeed because of your love and care they had many more happy years together, and you should feel so proud that you did this.     Letting them both go peacefully together must have been so hard - yet once again you put their needs first, there really is nothing worse than seeing any animal suffer, and they were both able to cross the Rainbow Bridge together, to meet up with Charlie once again.        Please don`t think they wouldn`t forgive you - they would thank you so much for all you did for them over the years..          As Cam says, grieving for our precious animals is very hard - it takes as long as it needs to and everyone is different.  This forum saved my sanity when I lost my little dog just over 2 years ago - everyone here understands exactly what you are going through right now...

Big Hugs,  Jackie.
J Taylor
Quote 0 0
Charlies_Mom
Jackie:

Thank you, your words mean so much to me. I am sorry for your lost of your little dog. Hugs

Charlie, Bargin, and Short cake’s mom
Breckie
Quote 1 0
Charlies_Mom
Tonight my home feels extremely cold and empty. I miss all my fur babies very much tonight

Charlie’s, Bargin and Short cakes mom
Breckie
Quote 0 0
Radarsmom
Your story moved me to tears.  I'm so very sorry for your loss.  You gave them a chance at life and love that they would never have had without you.  I hope someday you will find them both at the Bridge, smiling and bargain with excellent sight, waiting to join you again.  The loss must be awful.  May all that love you shared comfort you.
Connie C
Quote 0 0
marahute
Dear Breckie,

I am so sorry you lost those wonderful animals who had so many good years because you volunteered to take them on.  And Charlie, who must wish right now he could comfort you.

I understand the begging for forgiveness!  I lost my two cats two weeks apart in November & December.  And "my" cat was a rescue from terrible abuse that I was lucky enough to have for ten years; his sister only lived three years.  When I contacted the my dear friend (in panic) who did the rescue, she emailed me, and I want to share this message with you:
"If nothing can be done for him, you've certainly done so much for him – I was so grateful that you took him because he was a nervous boy..... Whatever you decide will be right."

Isn't it amazing how we miss the tasks we've done for them?  And isn't it amazing the love that an animal who's been saved can give?  They know what you did for them.  Of course they know.

You will grieve, and please allow yourself to do that, unburdened by guilt.  The love you shared with them has made the world a brighter place.  And your story has invited me to shed tears again, today - and tears are essential.

I will be thinking of you a lot.
Janet
Quote 0 0
Charlies_Mom
Radars mom and Marahute

Both of you thank you for you kind words. I been reading the posting from you more than once. It is keeping me going knowing there is others out there who understand. Our fur babies , we fall in love with and continue to love even when they are gone. Hugs.

Charlie’s, Bargin’s and Short Cake’s mom
Breckie
Quote 0 0
PeppermintPatty
Having recently suffered the loss of two of my fur babies within a short amount of time, I can relate to how you are feeling. You barely had time to mourn the loss of one. But then the very sad circumstances under which you lost your others ... my heart goes out to you.

There is no denying the cold and empty feeling. I hope that eventually the wonderful flood of memories overtake the pain you are feeling and fill your soul until you feel warm again. 

R.I.P. Charlie, Bargin and Short Cake
Quote 0 0
Charlies_Mom
PeppermintPatty:

Thank you for your kind words.lossing one fur baby is unbareable but lossing more in a short time as we both have done is difficult to understand. I am sorry for your lost of both your fur babies. Hugs

Charlie’s, Bargin, and Short Cake mom
Breckie
Quote 0 0
Gertie

PUT ME TO REST

Time to let me go my friend,
Because my life no-one can mend,
Its better to let me go this way,
Than watch me suffer night and day.

I'm happy to go, my time has come,
My quality of life is no longer fun,
Ive been so ill, so its not a bad thing,
To let me go forever resting.

Stay with me till I drift away,
Fast asleep forever I pray,
To relieve me from suffering and pain,
What more can I ask from my best friend.
Don't be sad, one day you and I will meet again.

Thinking of you, sending hugs your way,
Gertie.xx

Quote 0 0
Charlies_Mom
Gertie:

Thank you for the beautiful poem. It helps so much knowing others understand. I have copied the poem and put it up near Charlie’s ashes and Bargin and Short Cakes hair from their tail.

Charlie’s, Bargin, and Short Cake’s mom
Breckie
Quote 0 0
Gertie
You are so very welcome. I lost 2 little guys 5 months apart some years ago, I remember that horrible pain and feeling so lost. Your babies are all together taking care of each other. I hope you find peace and the wonderful memories help you through this sad time.

Gertie. xx
Quote 0 0