AnaMarie
Although it's been 9 weeks since I lost my beloved Coopie, I still can't talk to others about him without crying. When I think of him, I start crying. I am posting just now because right after I lost him, I immediately and purposely filled my time with things to do and places to go, not wanting the chance to feel my loss. I live alone and for 9 1/2 years it was Coopie and me. He was my constant companion.  Coopie was a cocker mix that I adopted from the shelter. Coopie was very old and I knew I was going to lose him soon. He died very peacefully in my arms as I held him to my chest sitting on the couch in our living room as I knew he was dying. In the past few years I have lost my beloved mother and several friends, but, although I loved them all, none has devastated me like losing Coopie has. I know my love for him is eternal. I can't fathom ever getting another pet. I have his ashes next to my bedside along with his picture. I am a senior myself and what comforts me most is the idea that I am in the last 1/3 of my life. I have thrown myself into volunteer work and plan to take up some hobbies, but, nothing will ever fill the ache in my heart until I can be with him again. I have been crying for hours now and my nose is raw from all the blowing. I wear a pendant of a little black dog that actually looks like him over my heart everyday. I don't normally wear jewelry but this I will wear forever.
Quote 0 0
ReneeWallace
Just be very glad he died peacefully and had a happy life.  I screwed up.  See below.

Due to budget cuts, I delayed getting health care for my 17 and a half year old cat, not myself.  Last Thursday, an unemployment appeals hearing officer told me I was not eligible for extended unemployment.  I also read in the news that Social Security would be cut and I am eligible for  widow's social security in 5 months.  Coming home after visting a friend, I discovered my cat in intense pain but it was too late to take him to the regular vet.  Since emergency room vets are very expensive, I decided to wait until morning to take him in.  He howled for 3 hours, then fell asleep.  When he woke up howling at 2:00 a.m., I decided I needed to have him put to sleep in the middle of the night, no matter what the cost.  Now I am haunted by extreme guilt I did not put him immediately to sleep but I know I would not have acted this way if unemployment benefits and social security benefits here in the U.S. were not so chintzy com

Quote 0 0
julieandfurbabies
I am so very sorry for the loss of your beloved Coopie my friend and for your loss too Renee
Those we love don't go away they walk beside us every day x
Love Julie x
Quote 0 0
AnaMarie
One year ago today my Coopie passed from this life. I still cry whenever I think of him which is pretty much everyday. My heart still aches, I don't think any less than the day he left this life. I still can't talk about him without crying. I live alone and I've adjusted to the house without him. I have filled my life so I'm pretty busy which helps a whole lot. I know Coopie "visits" me now  and then. I don't plan on getting another dog because he wasn't just a dog to me. He was my constant companion, my best friend. You can't replace your mom, your dad, your brother or sister, and you can't replace your best friend. I still don't think I'll ever fully recover.
Quote 0 0
AnaMarie
Well, today is 3 years that my beloved Coopie passed from this earthly life.  I still cry--am crying now. I miss him so much! I still think of him daily, sending my love to him. It's only been 3 years, but, it feels like he's been gone much longer. That, in spite of the fact that as I get older, time seems to go by faster. I don't know why the incongruency. Anyway, 3 years later, it still hurts.

Quote 0 0