Bubbabearangel
Hello everyone my name is Joanna and I write this letter with a heavy and sad heart. My precious bubba bear has been my angel for over 11 years. He is the most gentle and caring soul you could ever meet. 2 years ago he came down with IVDD and I was devastated. I came up with the $6500 needed for surgery and my "tough old bird" came out of it like a champ. All has been good since then but the other day I noticed something was wrong. I suspect that IVDD is creeping its nasty precense back into my bubba's life. I'm restricting his movement and praying his body will stay strong. I have 3 dogs and they are like children to me. All the money in the world could not replace them. I am asking for some support during this very difficult time. I have such mixed emotions, one minute I'm in denial and the other I'm overcomed with grief and sadness. Mr. Bubba bear has helped me thru some of the toughest times in my life and all he asked in return its to be by my side. I hold him close and tell him to "fight baby fight" but I'm scared his body is giving up on him. I've never had to deal with the loss of a pet and I'm so scared the day might be near. Please pray for my bubba bear, I don't know what I'd do if I lose him. My heart will break into a million pieces. I couldn't bare to say goodbye.
Quote 0 0
MyBella
Hi Joanna,

I am so truly sorry for your Bubba bear, what a precious sweet face in the photos.

I honestly don't know what to tell you, other than love him, hold him, cuddle him and keep him as comfortable as you can in his time of need, spend as much time as you can with him now. Let him know you are there for him to fight through and also let him know if he has to leave, you understand. I know this is hard as I watched my little girl, Bella go through numerous illnesses, she fought for as long as she could and then she couldn't fight anymore. I told her everyday, numerous times throughout the day how much I loved her, I held her, cuddled her as I knew she could go anytime, this went on for years, she fought and lived life to the fullest.

I wish I had more or better advice, but just love your Bubba bear and let him know you are there for him, no matter what.

You and Bubba are in our thoughts and prayers, sending positive healing thoughts your way.

Sincerely, Don & Vera
Quote 0 0
mybaby1robert
I pray for you and with a heavy heart know exactly how you feel.  I don't think there is anything that will overcome the heartbreak and fear of the loss of the precious little creature you are holding.  I wish we could keep them with us forever but we can't and you have come to the right place to help ease you to whatever comes.  These are the nicest people and all know exactly what you are going through.  I lost my Robert on Feb 23, 2015 and it has been very very difficult.  I come to this place to help me get through all the grief I experience.  I will keep you in my prayers and have my Roberts angels hold Bubba and help him and you.

For one more day

Roberts Mom

Quote 0 0
Bubbabearangel
Thank you Don and Vera for your kind words. I broke down when I read your post. Such a mixed bag of emotions im feeling. I'm not sure i can tell him I understand if he leaves me. I fear so much that I will have to take him in and lay his sweet soul to rest. I don't think I have it in me to do that. i hope i can find strength here knowing others understand and have been thru it helps. This is such a difficult time. I pray for my little man to come thru this. The love I have for this sweet angel words cannot describe.
Quote 0 0
naturegirl076
Your Bubba Bear is so adorable. My Spence was a shih tzu too.  I know how difficult it is to decide what to do. I had to make the decision to put my baby to sleep 3 weeks ago. He was suffering from CHF and kidney failure. When he stopped eating, started losing weight rapidly, and was too weak to walk to his water bowl I knew it was time. I ended up doing an internet search for "how to decide when to put your pet to sleep" and my thoughts were confirmed. It came down to "what is their quality of life?" In my case, he had none. He was miserable. It was my first pet loss and I didnt know how I was going to be able to part with him. I somehow found the strength to do what I thought was best for him because I could not bare to see him suffer any longer. Like Don and Vera said, spend as much time with him as you can cuddling and comforting him. Maybe talk to your vet and go from there. I will be praying for you both in this difficult time.
Spence's Mom
Quote 0 0
Bubbabearangel
Thank you Roberts mom..I am so sorry for your loss. Im very thankful to have found this site. I hope it gives me strength and others strength to talk about our precious babies. Sending my love and support to you.
Quote 0 0
Bubbabearangel
To Spence's mom.. Such a sweet little man with beautiful expressive eyes. I'm so sorry for your loss. What makes this so difficult is I don't know if he is in pain or not. I wish he could tell me so I have some sort of direction. He eats just fine and just wants to be in the same room I'm in. To watch him struggle to walk is just heartbreaking. In the past I've restricted his movements and he usually bounces back. But it's never been this severe before which is why I'm so worried. All I can do is pray for him to get better and cherish every day I have him with me. Were you able to be with spence during his last moments? I don't think I can handle that. But on the other hand I think I would experience extreme guilt if I didn't. Very very difficult decisions if my baby cannot bounce back. Fight sweet bear..Fight for mamma..
Quote 0 0
judylinn
I am so sorry that you are having to go through this. It sounds exactly what I went through with my Maddie. She was my only family as I have no relatives and she was my heart...I did get to a place though with her that I knew that she was suffering, and I loved her too much to let it continue..mind you she had cancer. I knew that she couldn't stay with me forever, and I started having conversations with her about how much I loved her, and then I started asking her to tell me is she needed releasing from her pain, and she gave me some pretty clear answers. It was a process...there is no denying that this is painful...but with great love, there is great pain when it's time for our loves to leave. This is a poem that really helped me..I reposted it...It's called the Last Battle.
Maddie literally saved my life and opened my heart. It will be 5 years this August since she passed, and she is as strong in my heart as the day she left. Sending you hugs and prayers during this difficult time..Judylinn
Quote 0 0
Bubbabearangel
Such a beautiful poem.. Very powerful message that in this moment, let me believe I could have the strength to be with him during his last moments. Thank you for sharing that with me..
Quote 0 0
naturegirl076
Thank you :)

It is so hard to tell if they are in pain. My Spence didnt cry or act like he was in pain much except on occasion but I could just tell by the look on his face that he was miserable. Before he was diagnosed with CHF and kidney failure he was having a lot of trouble walking because he also suffered from arthritis. He was a kamikaze dog in his younger years and it caught up with him as a senior. If your Bubba Bear is still eating good then I would think that is a good sign. What is IVDD exactly? 

EDIT: Okay I looked up IVDD. Im wondering, have you considered acupuncture or other holistic treatment? I know there are a few clinics in my state. There should be some in yours too. 

I was able to be with Spence in his last moments even though it was extremely difficult. But as hard as it was, i think it would have been harder not being there and him thinking I abandoned him. Bless his heart, he was so attached and never let me out of his sight.
Spence's Mom
Quote 0 0
ebbsmom
My thoughts and prayer are with you - I think she'll let you know when it's time - won't make it one bit easier thought!  I had to make this awful decision almost 4 weeks ago and it still breaks my heart.  I would find out as much as you can about the condition - think about if he is suffering or not, and let Bubba Bear and your heart guide you.  Hugs!!
Love you to the moon and back....
Quote 0 0