zcb
My Scooter has a collapsing trachea plus other problems.  I listen to him coughing and choking and my heart breaks.  He can't drink water without choking but he has an appetite and can eat ok.  Lately he's been breathing fast and I think it's because he's not getting enough air.  He even chokes and coughs when he barks.  I called the in home service to come out tomorrow to end his suffering but I don't know if I can do it.  He looks at me with those bright little eyes and I feel like a murderer.  I cry all the time because I don't know what to do.  His vet just say I'll know when it's time but I don't know and I am so miserable.  I want to know if anyone else has had such an inner conflict about when to let our beloved ones go.  I need help. 
Quote 0 0
Jojococomo
I had to make a very similar decision 3/2/18 with my precious Smiley who was 15 years young. She developed an autoimmune disease called IHMA and it was awful. I had to choose between giving her blood transfusions and immunosuppressive drugs or saying goodbye. I had hoped she would make it through the weekend and took her home. I held her in my arms the rest of the afternoon and realized that I was holding on for me and not for her. She tried so hard to continue following me around the house but she just couldn’t do it.

I ended up taking her back to the vet that same night and held her while she crossed over into the next life. I was near hysterical when it was over and that first week I felt like I would die too.

Now I concentrate on the good memories I had with her and the valuable lessons that she taught me through our years together. I don’t know if this helps any or not but I pray that you find peace and comfort in your decision.

Jodi
Quote 0 0
Raybee2
We lost our 5 yr old Dachshund Cocoa last week to IHMA as well! She went from being perfectly healthy dog to passing away 2 days later. She was admitted to hospital for blood transfusions & antibiotics. It was not to be. She passed away. We are left to pick up pieces and go on. Sorry for your losses!
Quote 0 0
Jojococomo
I’m so sorry for your loss as well. IHMA is an awful disease!!!
Jodi
Quote 0 0
Mackysmum
Hi Zcb
I'm truly sorry your facing this , i understand how tormenting a descion it is , i had to put my dog of 15 1/2 years to sleep on the 15 March this year. The month leading up to loosing him was so stressful and heartbreaking i remember all the hoping he would get better and the denial that he wasn't that bad but in the end he just wouldn't get up to walk and the day i made the decision to let him go he told me by his facial expression ' he was just so dame over it all and he wouldn't get up unless I carried him .
I to waited for that sign people told me I would get from him and he did give me that sign i just felt it in my heart , its a strange feeling but it washed over me and it was time .
No one can tell you when it's time to let go do whats right for your pet in your heart you will no .
Again I understand how hard it is to say goodbye to them I still now one month later dont know how to say goodbye , so it's really about what's best for your best mate is he/she happy ? Do they do the stuff they use to love it can't anymore ? Has living become a huge struggle with pain or anxiety or both ?
Do they still have dignity ?
My macky could not do the things he loved anymore and he was anxious and in pain and the day he couldn't even do a poo a basic animal or human need was the day i let him him have his dignity my feelings no longer mattered it was all about my boy .
I send you tons of strength and love in this incredibly difficult painful time i am so very sorry .
Quote 0 0
zcb
Thank you for your concern.  My decision was made last night when Scooter was in distress.  His breathing is becoming more and more difficult.  He does have good periods in-between the choking and coughing episodes but they are becoming fewer and fewer.  Right now he's on my bed sleeping like the sweet angel he is but that won't last.  The doctor is coming this afternoon between 3 and 4 to help him cross over.  The weather is supposed to be very bad at that time so I pray she will be able to make it.  He's my little boy and my heart is breaking as I write this.  Please keep us in your prayers so the doctor will make it through the storm because I don't think I can bear another night of his suffering.  I want to remember him as the bright eyed little boy who was so full of life and loved to run and chase his toys. Thank you all so much.  I'll post after he's gone.
Quote 0 0
Raybee2
Jojococomo wrote:
I’m so sorry for your loss as well. IHMA is an awful disease!!!
Quote 0 0
Raybee2
Thanks so much. Sympathies to all who lose their pet, had no idea how horrible this would be. Our whole family is just devastated.
Quote 0 0
Raybee2
zcb wrote:
My Scooter has a collapsing trachea plus other problems.  I listen to him coughing and choking and my heart breaks.  He can't drink water without choking but he has an appetite and can eat ok.  Lately he's been breathing fast and I think it's because he's not getting enough air.  He even chokes and coughs when he barks.  I called the in home service to come out tomorrow to end his suffering but I don't know if I can do it.  He looks at me with those bright little eyes and I feel like a murderer.  I cry all the time because I don't know what to do.  His vet just say I'll know when it's time but I don't know and I am so miserable.  I want to know if anyone else has had such an inner conflict about when to let our beloved ones go.  I need help. 
Quote 0 0
Raybee2
Awe your pet is adorable. Heartwrenching decision because our time with our pet is never long enough. Praying you make the right decision for you. Not easy!
Quote 0 0
Raybee2
zcb wrote:
Thank you for your concern.  My decision was made last night when Scooter was in distress.  His breathing is becoming more and more difficult.  He does have good periods in-between the choking and coughing episodes but they are becoming fewer and fewer.  Right now he's on my bed sleeping like the sweet angel he is but that won't last.  The doctor is coming this afternoon between 3 and 4 to help him cross over.  The weather is supposed to be very bad at that time so I pray she will be able to make it.  He's my little boy and my heart is breaking as I write this.  Please keep us in your prayers so the doctor will make it through the storm because I don't think I can bear another night of his suffering.  I want to remember him as the bright eyed little boy who was so full of life and loved to run and chase his toys. Thank you all so much.  I'll post after he's gone.
Quote 0 0
Raybee2
Awe will be thinking of you this pm. Take comfort in knowing it is very peaceful & fast like seconds & they are at peace! Hang in there!
Quote 0 0