Jel5011
Hey guys, I lost a best friend last night. My Boo was almost 15 years old. He was the first pet that I got on my own while in college. I rescued him from a shelter and he was almost adopted by other family while I was fostering him over Christmas. I remember taking him into the shelter and just sobbing as the other family met him. After about 20 minutes the family plopped him down in my lap and said “he is obviously your boy” he looked up at me and gave a little meow. He was my best friend and has been through so much with me. This is particularly hard because while he was aging and I know he had very bad arthritis, he is gone because one of our dog attacked him. We’ve had this dog for 5+ years and I would have never thought this could happen. We obviously rushed him to the vet and we were overjoyed when we got the call that he could come home the next morning because everything seemed normal. As the day progressed, I could tell something was wrong. We rushed back to the e-vet to find out he had sustained a tear either in his bladder or intestines and was in septic shock. The vet wasn’t sure he would even make it through a surgery and I didn’t want him to die alone on the operating table. So we said goodbye to him. I’m struggling even more because I don’t know what to do about my dog. She is still our family and we made a commitment to her years ago. I know giving her up would only add to our grief but I also don’t know how to accept that she is the reason my baby Boo is gone. Boo I love you to the moon and back.
Jessica
Quote 1 0
Mar
It's very hard what you are going through, I'm sorry for your loss of your sweet baby. As animal lovers ,we do have a commitment with our fur babies .We cannot get rid of them for a bad behavior or even what she did, we need to look into what happened..keep on eye on your doggie, is she becoming irritable ,and snapping  at anything or anyone, if so you would have to take care of it immediately. She could be going through something herself.. get her checked. Focus on what made you love her why you picked her and how much love she's given you, our fur babies have their bad days to.Try not to take it out on her, you don't want to have regrets later. For your baby boo, pray for him lit a candle, talk to him and keep his memories alive ,honor him by doing what's best. Don't be so hard on yourself, let your heart speak to you. Take care, will keep you ,and fur babies in my prayers  🙏🌈🐈🐕

Blessings 
Quote 1 0
Jel5011
Thank you so much for your words, you don’t know how much they have helped me.

I have definitely assessed the situation and while we feel it was just a fluke we will be contacting a behaviorist to look at thing with no bias and more background.

i truly appreciate your perspective in how to move forward and honor Boo and be able to move forward with my dog. I know it will take time for me to trust her again but I did make a commitment when I adopted her she just as Boo was and is she is also part of my family. I have already spent time talking to Boo and I plan to get a special memorial candle for him.

so again, thank you. I know my heart will continue to hurt but I do know that he lived a blessed life and I am better for having him in my life.
Jessica
Quote 0 0
Mar
Your welcome..I wish you the best.  you're  the best Mom that your fur babies could have.  I'm so glad your giving your baby girl another chance. You take good care of yourself and healing does take time. 🙏🌈🐈🐕
Blessings 
Quote 1 0
JulieF
Jessica,

I am so sorry you are going through this.  Mar is right and I hope you find out why your dog acted like this.  It is odd that this happened out of the blue and she might be going through an illness or is in pain from something.  Remember your Boo and all the wonderful times you had together.  You gave him a great life and tons of love and that is all he remembered.  You were with him at the end.  Something that helped me is that I journal my memories.  Not every day, but when something sparks my memory.  I lost my boy Patch one month ago today from kidney failure at 19.  I had him since he was a kitten.  I miss him every day.  The pain will slowly go away bit by bit but you will always have a hole in your heart where they lived.

Bless you as you go through helping your other fur baby.

Quote 1 0
Jel5011
JulieF wrote:
Jessica,

I am so sorry you are going through this.  Mar is right and I hope you find out why your dog acted like this.  It is odd that this happened out of the blue and she might be going through an illness or is in pain from something.  Remember your Boo and all the wonderful times you had together.  You gave him a great life and tons of love and that is all he remembered.  You were with him at the end.  Something that helped me is that I journal my memories.  Not every day, but when something sparks my memory.  I lost my boy Patch one month ago today from kidney failure at 19.  I had him since he was a kitten.  I miss him every day.  The pain will slowly go away bit by bit but you will always have a hole in your heart where they lived.

Bless you as you go through helping your other fur baby.

thank you. I think journaling sounds like a great way to honor Boo.  And a great thing for me. Anytime I am having a particularly hard time I can go back and look through the memories.
Jessica
Quote 0 0
Rosanne777
So so sad.
Quote 1 0
Moscow883
I’m so sorry to hear you have to go through this. It would be so hard because you love them both so much. Definitely get your pup checked out, if this is a completely out of the ordinary behavior maybe she is sick or hurting. As for your grieving, cry. Let it out. Don’t feel bad for it the only way out is through. Lighting a candle helped out family a lot when we lost our old boy. We got an angel candleholder and put it on top of his urn. It’s going to be tough just be careful not to resent your pup. I’m sure she feels bad too. 
Quote 1 0
LaGata
I can't imagine what you are going thru and I'm sorry for your loss and the struggles you are facing.  I have no words of wisdom...only hope that you will find some peace
Quote 1 0
Jel5011
Thank you all so much for your kind words, encouragement, and advice. I am certainly still working through the grieving process and learning how to trust my dog again and I know it will take time. But, everything you all have said has been overwhelmingly supportive and helpful. So thank you to each of you for helping me get through this.
Jessica
Quote 0 0