Boomdog02
I'm 54 years old.  I'm 6'3" and 275lbs. and I cry like a baby every day. I wanted to put that out there for any of you that might be feeling self conscious or embarrassed about the flood of emotion that overcomes us every day.

I have a 13 year old chocolate lab who was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma about 2 months ago.  It had spread too far for surgery, and given the benefits (1 year at most), and the financial burden ($10,000)Radiation and Chemo were not an option either.  Suffice it to say that if he were a much younger dog with his whole life ahead of him, we'd have made a different choice.

We have been doing everything we can to help him maintain the best quality of life we can for him.  Sadly he has dropped over 14 pounds as he has gotten sicker.  I was determined not to sit idley by and watch him wither.  I was told by our vet to look into Satin Balls: basically home made high protein, high fibre supplements you add to their food.  I scanned many recipes on the net and came up with one that has put back on 5 pounds and my boy can't get enough of.

10#’s Ground Turkey, cooked until no longer pink and cooled

1 dozen hard boiled eggs, chopped

1.5 cups Vegetable oil

1.5 cups Molasses

1 8 oz. block of cream cheese

1 large container of Peanut Butter

1 whole jar Wheat Germ

1 medium sized container Oatmeal (uncooked)

2 large scoops Vanilla Whey Protein powder

1 whole box Total Cereal

You will need a very large pot or 2 to mix all this stuff.   makes a lot, but goes fast.  Don't be afraid to taste it...it's not bad, and it will give you a nice shiny coat!  Mix everything together and store in Tupperware containers in the fridge.  I give equal amounts of this mixture along with his regular amount of food.  Trust me he will eat it without hesitation.  It has everything a dog loves (except bacon).

God bless all of you pet people.  We all share the same love and sadness that was part of the deal we made the day we brought these wonderful beings home.  Our sadness is the price we pay for all the love and joy they freely gave us.

Quote 0 0
Deb82
I just lost my cat to kidney cancer last week, and I'm crying a lot, too. My heart is broken. I had her for 14 years. The pain is so deep.  Thank you for your words of comfort especially about the love that they so freely gave us. You think you may be ready for this event, but we never really are. Thanks again.
Below is a picture of my baby girl that I lost.
love animals
Quote 0 0
Rachldee
I am glad to not be alone. Sorry about your losses : ( I lost my 14-yr-old blue heeler on 11/25/13 to melanoma. Like you said, with his age and cost of surgery, it was the best and least selffish thing to do to put him to sleep. I confirmed the diagnosis last week the day after my husband took him to an Emergency pet hospital of a suspicious mass. They asked me what I wanted to do and I said, "Let's wait till Monday, that way we can spend a last good weekend with him."
My husband and I gave him lots of love and treats, human food stuff. ; ) Had friends over to say goodbye that had grown to love him. The morning of, I fed him a bowl of treats for breakfast. My husband said, "You're awesome."
Every day is getting a little easier, but people keep just trying to cheer me up and my husband isn't a crier so it's hard to let out all my grief without seeming like a babbling baby. I am struggling with this and it's good to know I'm not alone. Thanks for reading, Rachel
Quote 0 0
florida2003

Hi 
   My name is Karen and i would like to say to all the above ppl, i'm so sorry for your losses, cause i to am hurting so bad to from a loss.  I lost my beautiful boy bubba on July 15, 2013.  I found out in Jan. that he had neumorous tumors on his spleen, they did emerg. surgery the next day and took out his spleen.  I was told they needed to send out the spleen to see what type of cancer he had.  On our next visit she gave me a name (and honestly i never heard what it was) and told me he had maybe 6 months to a yr. or maybe less, she didn't really know.  She the dr. told me to love him and give him anything he wants.  And for 6 months thats exactly what i did for him.  I knew what lyed ahead, but i still wasn;t prepared for that day when it came.  He stopped drinking, except when we would go for our walks then he would drink the outside faucet water,or the womens rain water down the street.  Well the time came and his back paws and legs started filling with fluids, so the dr. said thats cause his kidneys where starting to shut down.  Well we put him to sleep on July 15, and i can't get passed lossing him.  Its has been 4 months and i can't stop crying.  Every day i cry.  I had a lot of other losses that me and him had dealt with before this, and he was there and the only thing that i had left and now he's gone and i feel so all alone.  I went thru a divorce in 2011, and just lost everything i owned before that and all i had left was him.  Now i am hurting and he can't be here thru this.  I honestly know he is better now, but don't know how to stop missing him.  Everyone keeps saying within time, or get another animal.  I don't want another one.  I just want the hurting in my heart to stop, and i don't know if i'll ever get passed or over lossing him. I loved him so so much.  I know though he is waiting for me at the bridge, and i would go today if god would take me.  I don't have anything to live for now.  I have family, but that doesn't help when u don't have a relationship and then i lose the only thing that meant anything to me.  Anyway like i said i'm am truely sorry for everyones losses, and thank you all for listening to me.  Its been 4 months now and it isn't getting any easier for me.  If anyone has any suggestions i would so appreciate it.  Thank you so much Karen 

Karen Adams
Quote 0 0
Mistysmama
Dear Karen, I am so sorry about your good boy Bubba.
I wish I knew a cure for the pain but there isn't one. I howled like a dog and couldn't eat, and I am little and skinny, so it was a bad idea. But the pain was so bad.
It does get easier to cope as time goes by but missing them -missing a dearly loved one -never goes away. 18 months later I am better in many ways, and have also had 'visits' from my girl in spirit, and am very grateful, but I also have a dog-shaped hole in my heart that nothing can ever fill, except her.
I am so sorry about Bubba. I wished they lived much MUCH longer with us.

Hold the love like a little light. It is all you have, or will ever have, to find your way home.

Misty's Blog..a Dogfight with Cancer http://www.mistysblog69.blogspot.co.uk

Misty's life after death: http://www.dog2spirit.com
Quote 0 0
Mistysmama
Boomdog02,
It sounds like you are helping your boy a lot with this amazing calorie and protein-packed mix. What a great idea.
Hang in there. If he's wolfing that lot down, he's not ready to go anywhere just yet.
Blessings.
Hold the love like a little light. It is all you have, or will ever have, to find your way home.

Misty's Blog..a Dogfight with Cancer http://www.mistysblog69.blogspot.co.uk

Misty's life after death: http://www.dog2spirit.com
Quote 0 0
Gingeresnap
I lost my pet to lung cancer last Wedensday he would have been 13years old this year August.  I am so lonely without him and I am brokenhearted. Jackson was the best pet I could have ever wanted in my entire life.... He was soft and grey and had the brightest green/yellow eyes.   He was such a talker... and playful. He helped me smile even when I didn't want to, to hear him purr was the best because he sounded like a little motorboat.  I always knew when he was happy.  I never thought in a million years that I wouldn't have him. 

I am having trouble sleeping at night because the house is so quiet now and waking in the morning ..... well I feel lost.  Almost like he helped me to get myself ready for work, breakfast, and a morning snuggle and pat on the head before I left.  I felt like I was his pet.... lol.    I looked foward to seeing him when I got home from work and now that is all gone. 

I am a crying mess a lot of the time.... I know for sure that he was mine and I was his.  I know that this is just the beginning but I already am struggling. Any help with dealing with this loss would be helpful. 

Thank you..... Gladys

Gladys.
Quote 0 0
Jimbo106
I'm so sorry about Jackson. He sounds a lot like my grey girl Jamie. When she was little I even took her to the vet because she always purred. I thought she was ill. Turned out she was just happy.

If you post in the Pet loss forum more people will read about Jackson. There's a lot of good people there who understand what you're going through.

Blessings to you

Jim
Quote 0 0
angelafmy
They asked me what I wanted to do and I said, "Let's wait till Fifa Ultimate Team Coins kaufen Monday, that way we can spend a last good weekend with him.
Quote 0 0
Jimbo106
Gladys:  I'm so sorry about Jackson. He sounds a lot like my grey girl Jamie. When she was little I even took her to the vet because she always purred. I thought she was ill. Turned out she was just happy.

If you post in the Pet loss forum more people will read about Jackson. There's a lot of good people there who understand what you're going through.

Blessings to you

Jim

Quote 0 0
xiaoluoj
forum more people will read about Jackson. FIFA 15 Coins There's a lot of good people there who understand what you're going through.
Quote 0 0
Jimbo106
very sorry
Quote 0 0
xiaonvren
 I am struggling with this and it's good to know I'm not alone. Thanks for reading, Rachel

——————————————————————
fifa 15 ultimate team coins
Quote 0 0
Jimbo106
Very sorry
Quote 0 0
Danababa4
I am happy I was able to find this forum. It is comforting to be able to find support from others, even if it is through such terrible loss and sadness.

Karen, I feel your pain with the spleen surgery. I lost my beautiful beloved German shepherd Jackie on 12/23/14. I had just gotten home from school for winter break and I noticed Jackie wasn't feeling well on Sunday so on Monday 12/22 I took her in. The vet told me she needed a splenectomy ASAP so we brought her in on 12/23 for the surgery. It turned out she had cancer and it had spread to her liver but the vet wasn't prepared for that. He made us seem like the procedure was very successful and it wasn't until he called me mid surgery that I knew things were going poorly for her. She ended up going into cardiac arrest at the tail end of the procedure and didn't make it through the surgery. Saying "goodbye" to her afterward was the most traumatizing/sad thing I have ever done. I will ALWAYS regret not giving her that extra hug when I brought her in that morning. We had her for 12 years and I loved her SO much. I have cried almost every single day thinking about her. It is so devastating to have lost her so suddenly and I am crying just typing this story out. This Christmas was hollow and miserable without her there by my side :(
Quote 0 0