RJH
I rent a  house on a 60 acre horse farm in Virginia,  I started seeing a  grey skinny tabby with a broken tail but when I tried to approach him he always ran away but would meow at me,he would show up at the door sometimes in the mornings and at night but always ran away when I opened the door, this went on for about a year.
  
 Then one day I saw him in the yard ,I called out to him and got down on my knees and he came right up to me. I started to feed him and before I knew it I was letting him in the house in the morning and evenings to feed him, letting him in when it rained,or was to hot or cold. Soon enough we were taking naps together and I realized that I had a new friend. I had him for 2 years.

Thursday night before I let him out I noticed he had been scratching more than usual so I decided to give him another dose of flea/tick medicine. He always ran away when I put it on him and he did again this time, he did not like that stuff before and this time was the same and I went to bed.

I had forgotten there was a tube of medicine for the dog in there and when I opened the drawer the cat medicine was covered up and i grabbed the tube for dogs and put it on him by mistake. The next morning he was laying outside the door having seizures and gasping for air. I instantly knew what i had done to him, rushed him to the vett but it was too late. He never stopped having tremors and 24 hours later I had him put to sleep.

I feel so guilty, responsible and stupid, he trusted and loved me and I poisoned him and made him suffer so much. The first two days were very hard on me I cried,cursed myself and everything else. After talking to friends about it and reading the forum I think I can get through this with time.  Jinxie was my first cat and because of him I will own another one day. RIP MY LITTLE BUDDY.
Quote 0 0
RJH
pic
Quote 0 0
LauriP92
Oh wow this is so sad!! I know you want to beat yourself up but it wont change anything. It was a mistake. Be kind to yourself. RIP Jinxie
Lauri 
Quote 0 0
camunki
I am so sorry for the loss of your gray tabby Jinxie. And please don't keep blaming yourself, this was a mistake and not intentional. It is hard enough grieving our pets but when you throw blame into the scenario its harder to grieve. I know too well, I too played the blame game when I lost my pets in the past, thinking what could i have done better, what should i have done instead.

I am glad you gave Jinxie life for the 2 years you had him in your home. He probably didn't even know what love was. And all he remembers is the love you gave to him.

I love the pic you posted also, and again i am sorry for your loss.

Til you meet again w/ Jinxie  xo

Cam


 
Quote 0 0
P_Mom
I'm so sorry for your loss.  This was not intentional and I blame the corporations for their harmful poison they sell and profit from us.  I'm sure this happens more often than we know about as numerous homes have both cats and dogs. They can and should do a much better job at providing products that's safe for both animals knowing these dangerous risks!
I stopped using those products several years ago because like Jinxie, my pup would run from it. I think it burned his skin. I did research and went with a more natural product and haven't had any problems. Of course we want and need to protect our animals, but some of this stuff marketed to us is so dangerous.  Again, I'm so sorry for your loss of Jinxie and that you had to experience this.  
Jennifer
Quote 0 0
Adriane_d
Be kind to yourself.   
Quote 0 0
RJH
Thank you all for your kind replies.
Quote 0 0