Faceinyou
I don’t know what I’m doing wrong but it either doesn’t exist or I’m doing something wrong in my search.
There’s an app for meetup in general but iain’t what I’m looking for...
If anyone is in the greater Los Angeles area close to the San Gabriel valley and can help me I’d appreciate it. I’m looking for an in person support group for people who have lost their pets ...not people (loss)Thank you very much
Toby’s Dad
Quote 0 0
Mistysmama
I hope you find a good support group. I am not in the LA area. I live in the UK. But I remember trying to reach out just after my Misty passed, and finding nothing in my area also.
I called the vet's office and asked if they knew of a pet bereavement support group. They had never even heard of such a thing!
I didn't know how I was going to manage without help and support. And space, and time, and understanding, to express how I felt and honour my Misty's life, and express my sorrow and sadness.

It occurred to me to start one. Maybe I should have done. I thought of others who might be in the same situation. I have no counselling training, but I guessed that might not matter, as the group would just be friendly support and understanding rather that any "psych" therapy stuff.
But I couldn't imagine being able to do it at home as my rooms are terribly small, and the cost of hire of a village hall....well I couldn't get my head around it at the time.

But that is worth a thought, if you have the energy for that, and a large enough living room to host meetings? You could have a donation pot for the cost of coffee and cookies?

I am very sorry for your loss. It does get a little easier as time goes by; easier to handle, and the acute pain lessens. But missing them -I have to be honest -never ever goes away. Many blessings x
Hold the love like a little light. It is all you have, or will ever have, to find your way home.

Misty's Blog..a Dogfight with Cancer http://www.mistysblog69.blogspot.co.uk

Misty's life after death: http://www.dog2spirit.com
Quote 0 0
Faceinyou
Mistysmama wrote:
I hope you find a good support group. I am not in the LA area. I live in the UK. But I remember trying to reach out just after my Misty passed, and finding nothing in my area also.
I called the vet's office and asked if they knew of a pet bereavement support group. They had never even heard of such a thing!
I didn't know how I was going to manage without help and support. And space, and time, and understanding, to express how I felt and honour my Misty's life, and express my sorrow and sadness.

It occurred to me to start one. Maybe I should have done. I thought of others who might be in the same situation. I have no counselling training, but I guessed that might not matter, as the group would just be friendly support and understanding rather that any "psych" therapy stuff.
But I couldn't imagine being able to do it at home as my rooms are terribly small, and the cost of hire of a village hall....well I couldn't get my head around it at the time.

But that is worth a thought, if you have the energy for that, and a large enough living room to host meetings? You could have a donation pot for the cost of coffee and cookies?

I am very sorry for your loss. It does get a little easier as time goes by; easier to handle, and the acute pain lessens. But missing them -I have to be honest -never ever goes away. Many blessings x

Thank you. I’ll consider that . In the meanwhile I know I’m not alone about losing a loving pet ...but I can’t deny I’m alone and or feel alone without him. He was just 4.... not enough time to not get attached and not enough time t ok say he was old and got sick.... I’m not invalidating anyone’s loss. Peace and love . Toby was a great dog . I love and miss him. Accidents happen. I’m not mad at the person driving the car. It was a total accident ...love is good
Toby’s Dad
Quote 0 0
Faceinyou
Mistysmama wrote:

I do find it odd that there’s no in person support other than online. That’s weird but so is the whole nightmare of what happened...I guess there’s grief support ...and it ALL is one thing ....? I guess so
Toby’s Dad
Quote 0 0
redgirlraven
Try daybydaypetsupport.com they have a hotline and may be able to guide you to resources in your area
AR
Quote 0 0
Living_with_tragedy
How about these?  Not sure of details. I didn't click on the links.

https://www.meetup.com/topics/pet-loss-support-group/us/ca/los_angeles/

https://www.meetup.com/topics/grief-support/us/ca/san_gabriel/

Hope this helps.

~ Parker's Mom
Quote 0 0
redgirlraven
Sometimes the local emergency vet knows of pet loss groups or even sponsors them
AR
Quote 0 0
Faceinyou
Sometimes the local emergency vet knows of pet loss groups or even sponsors them [/QUOTE

When I picked up Tobys ashes Sunday’s
I asked them ...Loma Linda hospital used to have a program... I tried calling to no avail....there’s a book I’m reading that’s talks about the lack of support (this forum helps) of many resources including major religions etc...times are changing for acceptance of domesticated animals and their owners...I’m learnt a lot reading although The shock is getting less the reality has intensified. Toby was still a puppy at 4. What a loss. I’m crushed. It’s bad for health and my health ain’t so good. Glad I’m reading ...rather listening to the book a page at a time. I’m so sad for my little boy what a horrible freak accident ....passing happens all different ways and it’s part of having a pet. The hardest part. They usually die before you. But as a testament to them here we are all together strangers talking about our love for them . Showing that love is nice....would be better under better circumstances...,but it’s their love and our love for them that brought us here. Thank you I’ll try the links!!

Edit the groups are part of meetup...haven’t been able to get that going for me just yet...keep trying
Toby’s Dad
Quote 0 0