Lex82
I literally feel like I’m losing my mind. My beloved cat Poofy was viscously taken from me by my own dog after an attack Friday morning. My guilt is overwhelming because I brought this dog into our home a year ago. I’ve had Poofy since he was 10 weeks old and had him for 9 years. I’m taking his death harder than I do human deaths. He survived almost 48 hrs after the attack. He passed away 4 am Sunday with me right there. I had him cremated yesterday. My heart is shattered. I really don’t have anyone to talk to. Even those that say they understand really don’t. I’m trying so hard to function and be normal. I can’t. I can’t focus. I keep feeling like I’m losing air. I don’t want to eat. I’ve either slept too much or not at all. I even called off work yesterday. I keep crying. I’m devastated. I’m not comparing it to losing a child, but that’s how I feel. He’s not there for me in the morning when I go downstairs. He’s not creeping into my bed to sleep by my head. I put his ashes and pic in his favorite spot. I desperately want to get over this in a healthy manner, I just don’t know how. I’m losing myself over this death. I keep thinking of how scared he was. She’s a 90 lb pit/rot mix. He was a 15 lb house cat. He literally fought for his life but didn’t stand a chance. Someone please help me!
Quote 0 0
catiebee
Lex, I am so, so sorry this happened. For your loss and for the awful way it happened. 

The grief of losing a beloved pet is excruciating on its own, let alone having to deal with a tragedy like this.

I'm glad you found your way here. People well understand being in so much emotional pain that it feels impossible to function. 

My heart goes out to you very, very much. I wish I could say something that would ease your pain. 

Your Poofy was beautiful! I hate that this happened, and again, I am terribly sorry for how this understandably has broken your heart. Be extra good and gentle with yourself while your grief is so raw.

I wish you comfort.
Catie
-Missing Marissa deeply
Quote 0 0
Lex82
Thank you so much. I needed to hear that
Quote 0 0
catiebee
I hope connecting here will be a help. 

Such a tough, tough loss!
Catie
-Missing Marissa deeply
Quote 0 0
ForMitookie_03
Hi Lex,

What a beautiful boy, your Poofy.  I'm so sorry for the profound pain you are in right now.  There is nothing worse than when your loss is fresh.  We have all been there and healing is a daily struggle.  Today it is two months since I lost my beautiful Siamese boy Mitookie.  I had him for 15 years and the silence and emptiness he left behind are so very hard to deal with.  It does get better.  It does get easier.  It doesn't go away.  I wish there were something I could say to you to make this easier, but the fact of the matter is that it is anything but easy.  Like you, I didn't know if I was coming or going, I called into work, I couldn't eat, couldn't think, and did nothing but go over and over in my head Mitookie's last days.  I felt a lot of guilt too, because I put Mitookie through a major surgery that was supposed to help him, and I lost him anyway.  The circumstances around Poofy's death are indeed tragic.  Please don't be so hard on yourself.  There is no way you could have predicted this would be how his life ended.  Think about this though; Poofy may have endured 48 hours of a struggle to live, but that pales in comparison to the 9 years of a beautiful, love-filled life he got to enjoy because you gave that to him.  He knows that and he loves you.  I believe our pets will be there waiting for us in the afterlife.  I know some do not, but I find comfort knowing I'll hold my precious kitty again.  And just like Poofy, he will be restored and healthy.  Come to the forum as often as you need to.  The people here really do care and it is what has gotten me through the last two months.  Take care of yourself.

Hugs to you,

Marina
Marina ~ Mitookie's Mom
Quote 0 0
Lex82
Thank you so much! This brought tears to my eyes but made my heart smile. Prayers to you for your precious fur baby too ❤️
Quote 0 0
Rosanne777
So sorry and so sad as to how
you have lost your beloved Cat
Poofy.

In my prayers.
Quote 0 0