ForeverLoveSweetie
Hi everyone,

My name is Kris. Our dog Sweetie passed away this weekend. We had her for 15 years. She was a small tan terrier who looked like "a small Benji with huge eyes."

It is a horrible and sad story of how much pain she was in, the health issues she had, and how sudden the traffic domino effect happened in two weeks. Perhaps at a later time, I will be able to share what happened.

I will share that we had to have Sweetie put down. One of us held Sweetie for the procedure. She lay on my sons lap snuggled up and tucked her little nose into his elbow and his side. He kept kissing her and rubbing her. He told her that he loved her. Terry was there, sitting on my lap, next to son, and was able to be by her side and smell her during the process and afterwards. We layed her in a clothes basket with blankets that we brought and covered her up with a hand made knitted blanket. We let him stay with her and sniff her until he was ready to go. He cried.

Our surving dog is Terry. Sweetie and Terry were the He is a little black terrier who looks like the dog on Wizard of Oz. He is mourning the loss of his "girl."

We are taking him on car rides, dog stroller rides in stores, regular walks on a leash, giving him extra snuggles and pets. We are encouraging him to eat. He lost his appetite. Thankfully, so far he is eating enough with encouragement.

Yesterday, was our first day without Sweetie. He didn't want to return home from walks. It led to do errands with him. He seemed to need the distraction and to keep busy. Then, after returning, Terry had another walk. He seems to sniffing for Sweetie on the walks.

Yesterday, we made bead bracelets with letters on them. We spelled out Sweetie on them. I bought a heat locker that says love and has flowers that look a little like paw prints that hangs over my heart. I bought a male version of it for my son. He put Sweeties name tag on his necklace as well and made two bracelets with her name on it.

I bought stone step making kit for a memory flower garden for Sweetie. Also Sweet Pea flower seeds since it has her name in it. Teen son agrees it is perfect and likes the fact that the flowers with match the bow colors she used to wear.

My new screen saver is of her wearing sunglasses. The home screen is of her relaxing on the floor with my husband and Terry. Husband is petting both dogs. She was loved.

I miss Sweetie.

I care about everyone else's loss here and want to extend many hugs for the unfortunate losses that led everyone here.

I look forward to being a good friend to everyone and will cry with all of you.

Thank you for listening.

Sincerely,

Kris
Kris

Dog mom to Sweetie our dog angel

2002- 2016
Quote 0 0
Apollo_the_great
sorry for your loss.
William
Quote 0 0
Beaglemomma
Hi Kris.  Sorry to need to "welcome" you to this club which none of us wanted to belong.  But you will find the most wonderful caring people in the whole world here.  WE are ALL hurting terribly so we can certainly relate to your loss.  You didn't say how old your son is but I know it is hard on everyone.  I wish I could tell you that the pain will go away soon, but that is doubtful.  Not that one pet will take the place of another but at least your family is not so alone.

My Molly left us at Thanksgiving and I am still having meltdowns all too frequently.  I wish you and your family peace and sending you hugs.  It was 6 weeks before I could even see enough to write on this forum, so you are ahead of me already.  Take care.
Birthday photo.JPG 
janice
Quote 0 0
Sadiesmom061308
Hello kris. I am so sorry that sweetie has passed away. What wonderful tributes you are paying to her. We had to put down our Sadie feb18 th due to kidney failure. She was diagnosed in June 2014. She was 7 and a half years old. It is so hard as we love them so much. This is a wonderful forum. Keep talking. We are all here to help. Sending you hugs.
Quote 0 0
Courtney8982
Very sorry for your loss. I am new to all of this myself. My cat was 15 as well and was my first pet at age 18. It certainly is so devastating.
Quote 0 0
ForeverLoveSweetie
Thank you everyone for the condolences and welcomes!

Sweetie was between 15 and 18 years old. The vet had to guess when we adopted her because she was found abandoned in a parking lot.

Sweetie survived auto immune disease (I h m a) years ago (2009) and went into a remission. She had a relapse Thursday. She showed signs of responding to the medication again. However, hours after seeing vet and having her I v taken out, she had a severe seizure and started flipping like a fish in my arms at home. Then, half other body went stiff and didnt move again. We called a emergency after hours vet and they said there was nothing that could be done. The next day, we went back to the vet. We learned that she had permanent lack of mobility of half the body and had a headache. Her head started twisting slmost backwards and she couldnt hardly move it.

Tommorrow, I may print off three years worth of pictures of the dogs into albums and frame more pictures of her. I have 1,500 pictures total on my phone!

It is day two and I haven't cried today because our surving dog Terry needs me to be happy. He is so sensitive to my emotions!

It helps have him needing me.

My teenagers are 18, 16, and 14.

My 16 year old held Sweetie during the procedure that sent her to dog heaven. I held Terry and sat next to my son holding Sweetie. He put a put his paw over one of my hands while leaning over Sweetie to smell her. The vet said smell is the way they learn what is going on. They can say good bye. Terry sniffed her goodbye one more time and was ready to leave her. He understood. He had tears in his eyes and his nose started running.

I have to say that keeping Terry busy had lead to a lot of exercising and meeting so many animal lovers. People are flocking to him and asking why he is so sad. He seems to understand them when they pet him and tell him that someday he will see his friend Sweetie again. It seems to help them deal with their own lossesof their beloved pets to pet him.

I am so sorry for everyone's losses. (((((hugs)))))

Kris

2002- 2016
Quote 0 0
ForeverLoveSweetie
Edited to say that we had Sweetie for 10 years.

She was born with a enlarged heart, other medical issues and scolasis.
Kris

2002- 2016
Quote 0 0
jimmy17
Kris, I am so very sorry for your loss of Sweetie. She sounds such a lovely little girl, and what a great thing you did in rescuing her. I think these rescue dogs give us so much love back, like they want to thank us for helping them. We lost our rescue dog Jim just over 12 weeks ago, we adopted him at 4 months old, he was 17 and 3 months when we sadly had to have him pts.   He was also a smallish tan terrier - his mum was a Jack Russell. and all the kids around here used to call him the Disney dog because of his huge eyes.
  Poor Terry must wonder where Sweetie is, but I think you did the right thing having him with you all when Sweetie made her final journey, dogs are such sensitive little souls - they know much more then we sometimes credit them with. I know you are giving him extra hugs and cuddles right now.  
    You have certainly come to the right place, it was only being on this site with so many caring people who are all going through the same loss that saved my sanity when we lost Jim. 

Hugs to you, Jackie.
J Taylor
Quote 0 0
ForeverLoveSweetie
Thank you Jackie for the hugs and kind and supportive words. I really appreciate it!

Sweetie had big eyes like your Jim did from being part Jack Russel. Everyone commented on her big eyes! I am so sorry that you lost your sweet Jim!

Update:

Today, I printed out pictures with Sweetie in them. It took 4 hours to go through the 1,500 pictures on my phone and make decisions.

I made a album for us and printed pictures for Sweetie's boy (our 16 year old boy.) I bought him his own photo album. The albums have a 4 by 4 picture slot on the front cover. We both have different pictures of her in the cover. He opted for a simple picture of her laying down sideways and looking at the camera. I picked the one with Sweetie laying sideways in under a tree with greenery around her looking toward the camera. She blends in yet you can see her. I find it soothing. It symbolizes how she is still with us but in a different way than before she went to dog heaven.

I cried just a tear or two when I started going through the pictures on the computer screen from my phone. Then, I instantly realized each picture she was in was actually more of a gift than a reminder of the loss!

The photo album feels like a hug.

The last page in both albums has Sweetie laying on blankets arranged in a wicker clothing basket. She is covered in a knitted blanket with just her sweet face showing.

Then, my son leans over and gives her a kiss as she goes to dog heaven.

Thanks for reading!

Kris

2002- 2016
Quote 0 0