Bob
Time is not helping me come to grips with Mr. Ike's death. Intellectually I know it was time for him to leave this earth for the Rainbow Bridge. He was 17 had a heart mummer and was suffering from CRF which had progressed to the point he needed sub-Q fluids once a day. Even though I can intellectually accept his death as release from earthly suffering, I can not emotionally come to grips with the deep loneliness and awful feeling of hopelessness when I realize I will never again hold him on my lap while he purrs his deep beautiful purr as I stroke his neck a back. The "never" word is crushing my soul. He died August 14, 2009 and I am in tears as I write this. I doubt that my heart will ever dry of tears. As hard as I try to come to acceptance, I am unable to do so.
I do not know why God sent him into my life. I thank Him every day for giving me a companion who loved me unconditionally and I him.
My heart is broken. I am in pain.
Please help me.
Quote 0 0
MichelleShebbasmom
I'm sorry for your loss. I too, know that feeling that did everything you knew you could do, but had to let the one go.  I just had to euthanize almost 16 years old cat, Shebba, this past Friday.  The pain and guilit is unbearable. Shebba came to me vie my dad, who saw his daughter suffering, after my cat TJ. had run off one evening Sept. of 1994.  That December brought home, this beautiful Albino cat,
my mother named her Shebba. We bonded instantly. I remember as yesterday, the joy who enter my life.  Shebba was there for me, when mother died almost 5 years ago. She relieved my soul and allow me to live again. I miss her. I can't stop crying.
      Just for coming here, i know you will get help in your grief in time.  Don't feel bad for yourself, you are not alone in  your grief, our furbabies are our kids. We  love them and they love us. We will meet once again.  But for now we grieve, and grieve until you see fit.  There is no timetable, everybody has their own time to heal. Its hard but we wil be here, all together helping each other out.   

Quote 0 0
nicokudo
Bob,

The journey of grief is a difficult one.  The thought of not being able to hold them again was something that I found particularly difficult.  Caring for them as they lose their life force is a tremendous bonding experience.  My Nico died at the age of 19.  He had CRF as well, bad heart valve, murmur and I gave him sub-Qs every other day near the end as well.  Every waking moment that I was not at work was focused on my precious boy.  I know very well what you went through and my heart breaks for you.  Please know that your Mr. Ike is healthy and happy now..none of the problems of CRF.  I hope that my Nico has found him and is enjoying his company.

Thinking of you.

Karen,Kudo and Nico's mom
Earth mom to Marco and Bella
Quote 0 0
Janine
I'm so sorry for your loss of Mr. Ike, Bob.  You expressed perfectly everything I stilll feel about my Katie since I had to make the same decision in May.  I have no answers, just wanted you to know I understand and my thoughts are with you. 
I love you forever Katie Kitty.
I can't wait to hugga-bug again with you one day.
Quote 0 0
mamabug

Hi Bob first i want to say I'm sorry for your loss and i know how you feel.I was were you are and i still have days i dont think i can get thru but i stop and think of all the good times and think that my little max is up there chasing butterfly's.Something he loved to do.There will be good days and there will be hard days but every day it will get just a little bit easier.Its like a cut that gets hit and bleeds but then it heals over there will always be a scar.But just like that there will forever be a place in your heart and you will cherish it forever,take time to grieve and in your own time you will feel better.I miss my little max so much ever day but i know that being here and sick wasn't the way to go that would be selfish of me,yes i want him back but not sick,do something that you can remember him by,and just take all the time you need it is so clear how much you loved your little boy. Take care and god bless you, Tina

Quote 0 0
Mac
Bob,

I've been told and believe fully that there is no one "time" when grieving is "over" - I think we just individually learn how to give it the time it calls for, at the time it surfaces, and the same is true for good memories.  We lost our dog in November 2009, and there is not a day that goes by where I don't feel the loss of her.  She died at home after we had exhausted all medical assistance possibilities. 

Most of all I miss the physical contact - just to pick her up and hold her close was one of my biggest pleasures in life.  I know we all feel that same sense of physical loss.

Not sure where I read it, but I try to remember that our pets' lives were entrusted to us, and I think one of the last, but most loving things we can do is help them and release them from unbearable suffering.  They know, just as they knew we loved them in life, so don't assume guilt, but know that you did the right thing, the best thing you could do with the information you had.

Focus as much as you can on the good memories, and use them to crowd out the bad ones in your mind.

Thinking of and praying for you and everyone here who has experienced this loss.
Quote 0 0
Gabby
Dear Bob,
I am so very sorry for your loss of Mr Ike,you are so right,grief does not know time.I just wanted to say to you,that you asnswered your own question,about why God sent him into your life ? Because he is the " companion who loved me unconditionally and I him"
Please believe when I tell you,that your pain will lessen in time.I grieved so much for one of my babies,a little Red and White Kitty,just 6,I lost him almost 4 yrs ago.I thought my pain would never ease,so much so at times I would have preffered not to have woken to it.I spent all my days dwelling on the last 24 hrs of his life here,that my worst fear,that I may forget all the happiness he brought me,all his little ways and realised way too late that I had to think and remember all the happier times we had had together.Since then I have just lost 2 more babies within 11 months.My heart does'nt know if its coming or going some days,but I am getting there again.I know we have to go through those dark days to find the light the other side,but I do know that it exists.Hang in there,and I hope in time things will change a little for you.

Love and Light
and
Fairy Kisses for your precious Baby xxxxxx
Quote 0 0