Guineapig12345
My family is staying at my cousins for the weekend and I have 2 guinea pigs that came along with me. I loved my guinea pigs more than almost anything in the world. They meant so much to me and taking great care of them was one of my top priorities. I had one skinny pig (hairless guinea pig) and one partial skinny pig. They were named Drake and Josh. I kept my guinea pigs in my cousins spare room. They had a nice large cage, but no top on it which was my fault. I always had the door shut so the dog would not get in the cage, but sadly one of my family members opened the door while I was asleep. Everyone in the house left in the morning to go to breakfast while I was sleeping and I woke up to my piggies screaming. I figured they were just hungry because they always scream when it’s their usual feeding time but that wasn’t the case. I went into the room and saw their dog ( which was a large lab) standing over my two beloved guinea pigs. I was in shock. I quickly yelled at the dog to get out of the cage and ran over to my guinea pigs. They were laying on their sides next to each other screaming and staying still. I did not know what to do. I knew the dog had to of pounced on them and broken their bones so I didn’t want to move them and hurt them more, and about a minute later they were unresponsive. I had a complete breakdown. I loved my guinea pigs so much and it was the most devistating thing I’ve gone through. I completely lost it and had to go out of the room they were in. I cannot stop thinking about what that dog did to them and how scared they were when the dog was in their cage trying to kill them. I remember looking at them and seeing how much pain they were in. I couldn’t believe it. My family took them and buried them for me. I don’t understand one thing though. The guinea pigs had absolutely no marks on them. I figured the dog may have just lunged on them and broke their bones until they couldn’t walk but I can’t be sure. I don’t know what the dog did, but I know they were in pain and died because of it and I cannot get that out of my mind. I read that guinea pigs can go into shock easily and not move. I am worried they went into a temporary paralysis from being shocked and that my family buried them alive. Is this possible? I just don’t know what to do. It’s been a full day since this happened and I cannot get over this pain. I am heartbroken.
Quote 0 0
LynnCDM
I’m so sorry for your loss... that is heartbreaking. Hugs to you. 💜
Quote 0 0
MAlcindor
That is horrible, I am so sorry for your loss.
Quote 0 0
Sampson
My deepest sympathy on the loss of your sweet guinea pigs. Such an awful thing to happen and it must have been a terrible shock. I would speak to your family members who buried them about their sense of how your babies were just to put your mind at rest because that is a terrible thought to have in your mind that they were still live. It's heartbreaking enough that you lost them. Please write an update when you feel up to it.
Hoping you can get some peace of mind,
Sam
Quote 0 0
scampisdad
So sorry for your loss. I heartbreaking when thing happen out of our control.  
Bill roberts
Quote 0 0
Dixieschick
Sometimes what we imagine is far worse than the truth. It could be that they were so scared they passed from the shock. I’ve heard of that. Thank God there were no marks on them. I’m sure your family would have felt them breathing. Grieve their passing and don’t imagine the worst. It hurts enough just losing them. I’m so sorry for your loss.
Quote 0 0
Dixieschick
From a website
“ Guinea pigs can die from sheer fright, like when being acutely threatened by a fox or a rat. And they often die after an attack on an outdoors hutch. Generally, it is not all piggies, only the ones that have a weak heart or are very frail. There is no pain it is quick and immediate.”
Quote 0 0
catiebee
What a nightmarish thing to happen. I'm so sorry, Jennifer!
Catie
-Missing Marissa deeply
Quote 0 0