ImissSherby
Sherby died on August 6th. I had improved with the crying until this week. Now everything is back and I miss him so much.

My partner and I are fostering a dog that is ours to keep after two weeks. I think our new Riley is what has brought back my strong grief. Pretty much anything he does reminds me that Sherby is gone and I cry and cry. Riley is a great dog, he is adorable and very smart and wants to please us. He really has bonded to my partner and just loves her like crazy. I cannot be there emotionally for him though because I still miss my Sherby. I feel so guilty that I cannot look at him and feel like I love him because no one in his life ever did and that is why he was an owner surrender to a shelter. I still pet him and talk to him and play with him and walk him, but it is so empty for me.

I feel like I had a soul mate type bond with Sherby. It ran so deep and was so honest and pure and real. I know I had 14 years to develop that bond with Sherby and I have only known Riley for what is 3 days today, so there has not exactly been time to form any type of bond with him, I am just so distraught though. I am at work and all teary and then I cry on the way home and then cry at home and then am teary in between. I am really quite miserable and do not know what to do. Sherby was my first pet loss so I don't really know the terrain I am navigating.
If love alone could have kept your here, you would have been here forever.
Quote 0 0
GrievingHannah
ImissSherby wrote:
Sherby died on August 6th. I had improved with the crying until this week. Now everything is back and I miss him so much.

My partner and I are fostering a dog that is ours to keep after two weeks. I think our new Riley is what has brought back my strong grief. Pretty much anything he does reminds me that Sherby is gone and I cry and cry. Riley is a great dog, he is adorable and very smart and wants to please us. He really has bonded to my partner and just loves her like crazy. I cannot be there emotionally for him though because I still miss my Sherby. I feel so guilty that I cannot look at him and feel like I love him because no one in his life ever did and that is why he was an owner surrender to a shelter. I still pet him and talk to him and play with him and walk him, but it is so empty for me.

I feel like I had a soul mate type bond with Sherby. It ran so deep and was so honest and pure and real. I know I had 14 years to develop that bond with Sherby and I have only known Riley for what is 3 days today, so there has not exactly been time to form any type of bond with him, I am just so distraught though. I am at work and all teary and then I cry on the way home and then cry at home and then am teary in between. I am really quite miserable and do not know what to do. Sherby was my first pet loss so I don't really know the terrain I am navigating.

I am so sorry for your loss.  I wish I could say something to comfort you, but there isn't any quick fix for a broken heart (I lost my beautiful Hannah on February 3).

We adopted Mack, who was abandoned and failed by humans almost all of his life.  I wasn't sure I could love him...until I read Hannah's Last Will and Testament. Now I love him dearly.    If you don't mind, I'd like to post what Sherby probably would have wanted...

SHERBY'S LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT

Before humans die, they write their last will & testament and give their house and all their worldly possessions to those they leave behind.  If, with my paws, I could write down my last will and testament, this is what I would say:

To Riley I give:

My happy home.

My bowl, cozy bed, soft pillows, and all my toys.

The lap that I loved so very much.

The hand that stroked my fur and the sweet voice that spoke my name.

I also leave to the sad, frightened shelter dog the place I occupied in my human parent's hearts, which seem to have no bounds for loving.

So when I die, please do not say, "I will never have a pet again, for the loss and pain is more than I can bear." Instead, please open your hearts to an unloved dog, one whose life has held no joy or hope, and please give MY place to him.

This is the only thing that I can give....THE LOVE I LEFT BEHIND.

I hope this somehow comforts you.

Lee (Mack's and Hannah's and Heidi's and Janie's dad)

Fragile Circle

"We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached.
Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way.
We cherish memory as the only certain immortality,
never fully understanding the necessary plan."

Quote 0 0
Guinivere
I don't know if this will help you.......I had to put my best friend down 2 weeks ago.Bubba was a doxin and my soul mate.I got him when he was three.He was unwanted by a co-worker of my husband.The man had been married a few years and his wife hated Bubba.I had always wanted a Weiner dog.I even went to their house once just to see and visit Bubba and this was a year before they gave him to me.I was lucky enough to have him for nine years.We did everything together and as long as I had Bubba,life was okay.My love for him led my husband and I to take in two other unwanted Weiner dogs.Pepper came to us in February2008 and Max came to us a year and a half ago.Don't get me wrong,I love Pepper and Max,but Bubba was such a force of nature! He was always meant to be my Bubba Weiner and I his human.Since his passing two weeks ago,I've been a wreck.I swear I would have died with him if I could have.My other two doxins sense my sadness and have been very affectionate.Pepper was with him the longest and I know she misses him too.I've noticed that as I'm grieving so badly,these two need me too.While they're not "Bubba's",they have their own unique personalities and have been a comfort to me .It's hard to love when you're in so much pain.I've been doing my best to give them the love I have in my heart even though I'm a mess.I think they know this! Though it's hard for you to try and love another right now,know this....I truly believe everything happens for a reason even though we don't always understand at the time.There could be a reason for this new dog entering your life at this time and if you can see the forest through the trees,so to speak,maybe you'll find that reason and maybe a little comfort.No pet can replace another one and there will never be another Bubba but I'm now discovering Max and Pepper in ways I never noticed before.As much as I would give anything to have Bubba back with me,we loved each other so much and that love is in my heart.And as long as I have that great love in my heart,it would be a crime to let it die.
Jb
Quote 0 0
ImissSherby
Oh, thank you so much both of you and I am so sorry you both have been suffering from this loss also. I completely understand the bond of a dog who seems to be a soulmate. I never would have it I had not met Sherby and fell head over heals in love with him. 

I think the last will and testament is so sweet and it does help to put into perspective the my feelings that I am having a hard time loving a new dog.  I really feel like my heart is truly broken and just cannot work correctly anymore. It is quite an empty feeling. I am sure it will get better, but for now I feel so sad and awful. 

I will of course keep petting this little guy, walking him, and I think over time I will be better. In the meantime, my partner loves Riley so much and Riley loves her so much and I love to see him loving her that much because it is so sweet. :-)  

This is a picture of a gift my mom sent me today. The picture is so special because it looks exactly like Sherby!

20140919_143104.jpg 
If love alone could have kept your here, you would have been here forever.
Quote 0 0
Katel
What a beautiful picture and of course had me crying again.  It doesn't take much.  I like to see my Charlotte girl ( in my ID) who passed 4 months ago in the arms of such an angel, and my Danny dog who is very ill to be there too when it is soon time.  I can't bear to let him go too but will have to.
I truly believe you will come to love Riley very much but it's early days as you are in such sorrow over Sherby.  It doesn't happen overnight, but I believe it will as it has happened to me in the past.
I am so sorry for your heartache.  
Sending you love and prayers,

Kate 
Quote 0 0
TimTam
ImissSherby so sorry for your loss of Sherby.I feel for you.I lost my Tammy on August 8.I understand when you say Sherby was your soul mate.I have lost other babies before Tammy but her going hit me like a ton of bricks.My family have been talking about another baby for Tammys sister Chloe but I don"t think I can do it.I still cry as you do every day and am beginning to think it is the way I will be the rest of my life.I like to way you said your heart is closed_sums it up perfectly.
Being without you takes a lot of getting used to.
Quote 0 0