MyJax
I don’t know if I should be doing this but I am a wreck. On Oct 15 my beloved Jax, a chow chow of almost 4 years old come November, my baby, my heart and my happiness turned on me and attacked me to the point that I had to go to the hospital. Nothing out of the norm that morning. I was getting ready for work, I kneeled down next to him as he was sitting up wagging his tail and pet him and told him Mommy will give him his treat in a minute just let mommy finish getting ready for work, as soon as I stood up, he attacked me, no growl no warning. He got my right shoulder first then my right arm and dragged me from the front door to the living room. He took me down to the ground and I ended up on my butt in a sit up position while he had my arm. I kept telling him Jax let go, Jax it’s mommy but he wasn’t letting go, I tried kicking him to get him off but it did nothing. I didn’t want to scream for my son cause i thought if he let go of me, I could bandage myself up, hide the wounds and go to work but then Jax started the death shake on my arm, I felt his teeth go thru my bones and that’s when I screamed for my son who was sleeping. After the 3rd scream he woke up and also heard Jax’s growl while my arm in his mouth, my son knew what was going on because 3 weeks prior he bit my son and punctured his forearm for no reason, I refused to believe my son that it was for no reason but now I had no choice but to. My son came out to see my blood all over the floor and Jax shaking my arm to snap it off, my son shot him and just typing that part I just felt a pain in my heart and am bawling like a baby. I loved loved loved that dog and I would of lied and said I provoked him just to spare his life but my injuries were so so bad that even if he had let me go, I believe he would of went for my face or neck had I tried to get up. Had my son not been home I would not be here typing this, I did not stand a chance according to the vet. I received 11 or 12 stitches, I lost count and he ripped a muscle on the back of my forearm. My arm is in a sling and unusable for now. He had bitten my husband last year BUT my husband accidentally hit him with the bowl of food and water while trying to place it on his mat and my husband reached out to pet him to say sorry and Jax clamped on his hand tearing the inside of his hand requiring 8 stitches. I blamed my husband for reaching out to him to pet him but everyone says he still should of not bit him. 3 weeks ago jax was laying down and my son walked past him, Jax wagged his tail and gave my son a stretchie my son sat beside him and pet and rubbed his belly, out of no where Jax lifted his head and tried to bite my son ( son is 21 ) my son got up and left him alone, Jax got up and charged at my son, my son was yelling and I ran and got between them but the damage was already done, Jax had bitten him. My son was so upset that he said if I don’t put him down he’s moving out. I refused and blamed my son. A week went by and my son kinda warmed back up to him but was VERY on edge being around him but tried his best to befriend him again and I thought things were ok till now. This dog was NEVER EVER abused, never. We got him at 8 weeks, we played with him, took him for daily walks sometimes twice a day, I had full blood work done on him 2 months ago and all was fine. So why? Why did he do this and destroy my heart? Why? I don’t care about my arm as much as I care that he’s not here with me. At the hospital the nurse noticed a bite mark on my shoulder and told me as upset as I am I am lucky to be alive because there isn’t much room from his bite mark on my shoulder to where my neck is meaning he was going for my neck. I’m not mad at Jax nor do I hate him and I never ever will. I miss him so so bad and I can’t stop crying. I know he could of killed me and I get it but why? I never hurt him and everyone knows he loved me the most as I did I in return. Again I would of lied and said I provoke him just to spare his life but both my son and husband said if he bites anyone again we would have to put him down and at that time I said no, never. This time I had no say in the matter since it was either my life or his and it happened so so fast. What did I do? Did I do something wrong? Did I trigger him in some way? Was he sick and I didn’t know or over looked it? I don’t get it. I am sick with grief and I can’t shake the images out of my head and keep reliving it but I feel no anger just emptiness and horrible sadness. I am lost and heart broken. So very very heart broken. 💔💔💔💔💔💔💔💔
Quote 0 0
Jan_H
Nawal,

I am very sorry for what you, Jax, your son and husband have been through. I can only imagine the horror of being attacked and having your son rescue you. I don't have answers. Perhaps Jax was ill with some brain disease that wasn't visible but caused him to be aggressive. Well cared for and loved pets can still hide an illness that even the vets don't see.

He was adorable.

My condolences,
Jan
Quote 0 0
CeeCeesMom
I'm so sorry, please accept my condolences.  I have no answer for why it happened.  But I just wanted to say it's not your fault, or your son's fault or your husband's fault.  Maybe there was something wrong with Jax that wasn't detected in the bloodwork.  Maybe he had a brain tumor.  It sounds like you and your family gave him a loving home.  It wasn't your fault.  You didn't trigger him.  These attacks were happening without provocation. It wasn't anybody's fault.  Please try to remember that.  

CeeCeesMom
Quote 0 0
MyJax
Thank you for your condolences. The more I think about it, had I lied, had I hid the wounds I would be jeopardizing my family. We couldn’t have ANYONE over without putting him in a different room which would either be the summer room with a sliding glass door or him in the living room with company in the sun room. He didn’t like anyone and we were always so scared he might bite someone. It was like living on eggshells but I would rather have no one over than lose my furbaby. I refused to put him down, I had scheduled behavior classes for him but yet he was put down in front of me. I had no choice or say in the matter. Like my son said it was either his life or mine.
But it’s just not sitting well with me at all. My husband said we can get another dog and I wanted to scream at him for saying that. I know he means well but I feel like I’m abandoning my love for Jax if I do that. Idk. Idk what to do, what to feel what to believe. I just know I loved and still love him and always always will. I hope he knows this I would of never let anything happen to him and my family knew this but I couldn’t stop this from happening. I feel guilty, I feel like I could of done something different. I hate my house now, I try to avoid certain rooms, I can’t sleep, I can’t eat I just can’t function.
Quote 0 0
Lu
Oh my gosh, what a nightmare! I'm so sorry this happened, you must be so traumatized. :( I can't imagine the horror of being attacked by your dog you loved so much. I have no ideas as to why your dog turned on you, but it must be very hurtful emotionally as well as physically. And for your son to have to shoot him in front of you. Terrible for everyone involved. I remember being bit in the face by my dog as a child when I pulled on his collar to break up a fight between him and another dog. I remember how much it hurt my feelings for my dog who I thought loved me so much to bite me. Animals can be unpredictable but an unprovoked attack is horrifying. Again, I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. It will definitely take some time to process all of the complicated emotions. Hugs to you. 
lea
Quote 0 0
Memories_of_Marmalade

Dear Nawal,

I am so sorry for what you and your family had to endure with Jax. As you know and mentioned your bite wounds were very severe and yes Jax could have killed you. It DOES happen. Mental illness does occur in dogs just as it does in humans. My next door neighbor had a similar experience and had to put down their beloved dog after it attacked their brother / brother-in-law. They have young children and it wasn't worth the risk. You truly went the extra mile taking care of Jax, providing him with a home and love and affection and especially great patience. So I am glad that he was able to experience all of that before he snapped.

I hope you and your family can continue to heal. All of you went above and beyond the call of duty and that is quite admirable to say the least. RIP Jax.

My kind regards and sincere condolences,
James
Quote 0 0
MyJax
Thank you so much James for reaching out & your condolences. I’ve been researching what could of possibly happened and I came across a term called idiopathic rage. It’s basically a unprovoked onset of sudden rage in dogs that’s very violent and can be fatal to the one that has been attacked and extremely hard to treat. I can’t say for sure that’s what’s been happening to him but if it is then I have a pica of closure in the fact that it REALLY wasn’t my beautiful Jax that attacked me and that he really was ill. I just hate myself that I didn’t see it and I hope to God he wasn’t hurting. Today was the first day since the attack that I left my house and I bawled like a baby that he wasn’t following me to the door for me to tell him that mommy will be home in a bit and that I loved him and he’s my good boy, although I did turn back and look at where he used to sit as I walked out of the house and I still did say it like a psycho thru my crying. It’s because of this heart break that I’m hesitant about ever getting another dog but I know so many of them need loving homes. Idk. I’m just a wreck and don’t know how to begin to heal or if I ever will. 💔
Quote 0 0
Memories_of_Marmalade

Dear Nawal,

I am so sorry for what you went through and are still feeling and coping with.

The fact that you still think about your Jax so deeply and in such a loving, compassionate and caring way, after all that happened speaks volumes about you personally. And shows that you have true "character." You did everything that you could. Please know that Jax himself had a obligation not to attack you or yours and to always know his place in the pack (your family) at ALL times. If he was in the wild, he would have challenged another dog and he may have won or lost (been killed.) It is a good thing that for a time Jax was part of a real family and experienced love and comfort.

Once again - Jax was very, very  fortunate that you and your family were as tolerant, loving and as patient as you were with him. Let that fact help you through these difficult times. I think it is natural to not be thinking about adopting another dog as this time, especially after all that occured. So please, please be gentle with yourself and just continue to travel through time. Every second, each minute, every single day and evening, and every week and yes, each month, you are / you will be - getting closer to complete healing. Your mind and body have a built-in healing mechanism which works automatically if you allow it to do so. Simply by being. It is each of our birthright.

You are not alone. We are all with you in spirit during these challenging times.

Kind regards,
James
Quote 0 0
MyJax
Thank you Lu. Honestly it was beyond horrifying. I always had it in the back of my mind that one day Jax would bite me and I had told my husband that I have a gut feeling I will be the next one and my injuries will be worse than his and my sons put together and sure enough it happened. I just thank God that He gave me that split second to stand up from hugging Jax with my cheek next to his cheek cause had I stayed then that position for half a second later he would of easily gotten my face, eye, probably tore my whole face off or neck but God spared me from that. I’m starting to think that this was Gods way of letting me know that I have to let Jax go without a fight because there is NO WAY, I would of let anyone take him from me to be put down, selfish as it sounds which I know it does, I could’nt let that happen. Would I be risking my family and possibly others, yes most likely but hot could I just hand him over to be put to sleep? I honestly think God knew I could not handle that and as horrible as the results were he was taken from me without my consent and in a life or death situation. No it does not make me feel any better but he he will know that it was not my choice. I truly truly miss him so very much. I think i will donate his food and loads of treats and toys I had for him to a shelter but I will keep his favorite toy with me. When I came home from work today I sat in the driveway for a half hour crying cause I knew he wouldn’t be at the door to greet me with his beautiful tail wagging and his whining for me to hug and kiss him hello. Walking into the house was such a hollow and nauseating feeling. I actually put a plate of food to eat since I’m on antibiotics and pain meds for another 4 days but pushed it away because he’s sit right next to me and wait for me to share my meal. Nothing is the same anymore. Nothing. Everyone says omg it was a dog and that sends me into such anger, yes he was just a dog but he was MY dog, my dog that I loved and looked forward to seeing, to playing with, to waking to receiving the box or treats and toys from Chewy that is order for him and he’s know the box was was him. It made me so happy watching him try to open his box. Now I see Chewy’s emails and I cry. This is hard. So very hard. Thank you for your condolences. I truly appreciate it.
Quote 0 0
MyJax
Thank you James. You are a kind soul and your words are also very kind. I feel like you can actually feel my pain although I’d NEVER EVER wish this on anyone. He was my first ever dog and for it to end the way it did is what’s eating away at me. I know I did the best I could for him and I was willing to jeopardize my family by lying just to keep him but had something happened to my son or husband or anyone I would of never forgiven myself. I just thank God it was me and not my son or a child. I truly thank you and all that have commented on being here with me through this, a lot of people think I should just “get over it” but these are people that have never experienced the love of a dog or cat or any animal for that matter and the bond that it brings. With all my pain from Jax attacking me and the scars that he had left me with, I honestly will look at them and smile knowing he’s left his mark on my heart and body as weird and creepy as that might sound. I’m still not mad or upset with him and I don’t think I will ever be. I know now that it wasn’t him or his true nature that attacked me although yes his breed is temperamental and unpredictable but towards the last couple of weeks he was more affectionate than ever and I will always remember that. Maybe I will tattoo little paw prints on each scar, idk but I’ll never look at them as being ugly, never, not from my beloved furbaby boy. Thank you again James, you made me see things in a different perspective although it still hurts. Blessings to you and yours dear friend. 🙏🏼
Quote 0 0
LauriP92
I read this story with my mouth hanging open! I feel so badly for you. I have no idea why the dog attacked you-his master! Only thing is he must've been sick or mentally ill. You are lucky to be alive! Its okay to grieve-even though the situation is unusual he was still your love. You could've lied but at the expense of your other family members or yourself. I'm so sorry you are going through this and sadly, you may never have the answers as to why it happened.
Just know that you gave him a wonderful life and he brought you much joy. 
Lauri
Lauri 
Quote 0 0