shorelinerach
Hi All,
I am so happy to have found this site and know that I am not alone in my grieving. I lost my beloved 15 year old Poodle named Oliver to bladder cancer yesterday and exactly this same time as I am typing this.  I am beyond devastated and don't know how to function.  I didn't go to work and am just laying on the couch reliving every moment with him.  I still have my other baby Duke with me.  Duke and Oliver were the best of friends and Duke actually was a caretaker to Oliver.  I can hardly breathe and can't stop crying.  Duke is grieving also and I don't know how to be strong for the both of us. I can barely put one foot in front of the other, but I know I have to somehow. Any help or ideas would be a wonderful blessing.Oliver 2017.jpg
Quote 0 0
jimmy17
Hi, and I am so very sorry for the loss of your precious Oliver.  The first few days after losing them are dreadful - I know I was barely able to function when we lost our little dog almost 21 months ago, I couldn`t eat or sleep and felt like I was in a "fog".   We are so used to having them with us, loving them and caring for them, it`s so hard to accept that they are no longer with us.    Like you, I found this forum almost immediately and it was such a relief to know that the way I was feeling was normal - here you`ll find the most caring and compassionate people who all understand exactly the way you feel right now.   Losing our beautiful little soul mates is one of the hardest things we have to go through,  and at first I thought I`d never get over losing my dog Jim,  but slowly things do start to get better - it can sometimes feel like 2 steps forward and 1 step back, and also there is no time limit on grief, everyone grieves to a different timescale.  One other thing I did was to start a journal - writing down all the memories can be sad, but I found it helped me so much.    Be extra kind to yourself and Duke - he`ll certainly be missing his little friend too.   Once again, I`m so sorry.  Sending you & Duke big hugs,

Jackie.
J Taylor
Quote 0 0
Molly_Beagle_Mom_4ever
I'm so sorry for your loss of precious Oliver. Our best little friends are the center of our lives, and we rely on their love and care just as much as they do us. We lost our dear Molly beagle in November at almost age 17, and our world turned upside down. Be kind to yourself and take all the time you need. Let your emotions flow. This site is filled with amazing, compassionate people to talk to.. Oliver is with all of our babies, having a wonderful time and running fast and free. They're always still near to us, and the bond of love never breaks. Wishing you and Duke much healing in the coming days and weeks.

Molly's Mom....Dawn
Love you infinitely our little Molly. Forever and ever XOXO
Quote 0 0
gizmomybaby
Aw your Oliver is adorable x am so sorry for your loss x am at week 4 tomorrow of my baby boy gizmo getting pts x I know how u feel it's awful x my way of coping is trying not to think about it and block it out then it hits me like a bus x plz know am thinking of you and keep on this site people are lovely and understanding as wee are all going through the grief xx sending love & hugs
Quote 0 0
Paulcougar1964
I am so sorry for your grief over Oliver - we lost our gray poodle Mickey two weeks ago today. I think I can understand some of what you're going through - all I can say is let it out, cry, scream, pound the steering wheel in the car. I've done all those things. Try to be around people who you think can empathize with your loss, and avoid anyone who doesn't understand how attached people can become to a pet, or who is not good at empathy or who "judges" you for feeling as you do. Grief comes in waves - be kind to yourself, and don't feel bad for feeling sad. Your feelings now are so strong because you loved Oliver so much - and that was and will always be a beautiful thing. Oh - and as you work through your grief, you might think about helping others on this site who have just lost their pets - I'm finding it helpful to reach out to others even though my baby boy Mickey is gone....
Quote 0 0
shorelinerach
Paulcougar, thank you so much for responding about my Oliver.  I am still in a fog and finding it so hard to do anything without crying.  I just read your post and my heart bleeds for  you and your Mickey. I can't imagine the nightmare you are living.  Please feel free to reach out if you need to talk about Mickey and your experience.It does help to read posts on here and reach out to others as you mentioned.  I am sending you big hugs.
Rachel
Quote 0 0
LisaAndy
so sorry I also just lost my little 14 year old poodle. It's so very hard. I have another 14 year old mini poodle here too. I know his time is going to be up soon and I feel very worried about that too. I am starting to feel a little better, its been about 6-7 weeks for me, Trying to pull myself out of it and move on to accepting that he is gone and trying not to wallow away my life in sadness. I think it is important to try to do things- get out and do things because when being home, or where you were with the dog most of the time is the hardest. I do better when I'm not home.  My friend and I even took a little 3 day trip which helped me a lot. But now Im back home and it's hitting me again. However I feel like today I need to get out of the house some.
anyway so sorry for your loss he looks really cute.

https://www.rainbowsbridge.com/residents/ANDY015/Resident.htm
Quote 0 0
shorelinerach
Thanks for responding to my posts.  So very sorry for the loss of Andy.  He is adorable! I like you have been trying to get out of the house and do things, but I always want to get back home as I feel closer to Oliver.  I guess all we can do is take it day by day.  I am thankful for this forum and thankful we aren't alone.
thanks,
Rachel
Quote 0 0
LisaAndy
I put in an inquiry for another dog to adopt, but I don't know if this is a good idea. It's been 7 weeks for me at this time so I am slightly better. I think you get over the shock. His death was sudden and unexpected so I think you start out in shock.  This is an old bichon, he looks cuddly like Andy and was found all matted and was abandoned by owners. I feel sorry for the poor thing. But I know it is not a replacement, I just feel so empty. I was worried about this because if it doesn't act like your old dog you could resent it. But I'm so miserable it will certainly keep me busy and have something to do .....I am so sad.

But it is indeed one of the worst things I have ever gone though so I totally understand your sadness.
Hugs to you!

Quote 0 0