Lamont
I can't recall ever hearing about his until a few years ago, maybe 2012 was the first time I can recall seeing or hearing anything about this disease in pets, especially cats.

I did a search of this site and found many instances of this disease either mentioned or as a definite cause of increased mortality. There were a few dogs also.
Here are the results:
https://forums.rainbowsbridge.com/search?searchid=65183631&showas=post

I fear we are facing a fairly wide-spread epidemic even though many of these harmful chemicals like PDBE Fire Retardants are banned, they remain in fish, furniture, pillows, mattresses, house dust and even in packaging materials used for pet food.

It's daunting to realize that no matter what we do, especially in the USA, to protect our cats, they have a high risk of developing Feline Hyper-Thyroidism, dogs, too. Maybe even us for all we know.
I have read a lot about prevention, but I realize there is just no guarantee, no matter what steps we take to have a PDBE free home. I suppose making our own cat and dog food is an alternative, but for may of us, that isn't really feasible, either for economic reasons or for lack of time.

I have not been able to find a reasonably priced 100% healthy pet food source that is guaranteed to be safe. Since the FDA really doesn't regulate pet food, and the Dept of Agriculture only has limited authority to inspect pet food, it's anybody's guess what is IN those cans, bags, even the ones that say, "Organic" or "Healthy"... a lot of that is just what people think animals want.

I have to ask, when did cats ever want to eat rice, soybeans or vegetables? It's like these pet food companies think it's healthy to give an animal something it would Never Eat in a natural setting.

Before I adopt again, I want there to be a food source I know is safe, and that my house isn't full of PDBEs, too!

L

Bertie's Daddy
Quote 0 0
RileysMom
Lamont,

I understand very much. I took some steps years back to eliminate what I could. I sleep on a natural mattress without fire retardants, same with pillows. I make my pets’ food now. I do large batches in the crock pot and freeze.

But even with that, it is very hard to eliminate those chemicals. Some natural products, such as furniture, can be very expensive. But just the same, I feel it’s important to do what we can. It affects everyone’s life that is exposed to these things, including our own, our family members, and our pets.

Thank you for posting about it and doing research!
Val
—Loving Riley, Rosy & Axl always 🐾

Quote 0 0
Lamont
That's really great that youve made the effort to protect your animals. Sometimes I think I might be getting paranoid, but as it turns out, there is good reason to be concerned.

What kills me, is how PDBE was banned in the USA in 2012 but very "reputable" companies ignored the ban, Stickley and Ethan Allen are high end furniture makers, and they were the last ones to stop using PDBE in their products. European manufacturers never used them. So anything coming from there should be OK. IKEA etc all claim 100% chemical free. Not that I like IKEA, but it's only furniture.

I do have an Ethan Allen sofabed that I love, and so did Bertie, made in the late 90s, I am positive that is one of my bogies. I am already shopping for a new one, but good sofa beds are totally expensive.

L
Bertie's Daddy
Quote 0 0