Forum

Author   Comment  
RavenHawke

Reply with quote  #1 
(I posted this in the pet loss forum and I'm thinking it might need to be posted here. So sorry for the double post)
I wanted to get everyone's opinion. Before I start
I have to talk about my last loss. I had a cat
That passed away from ckd. I watched her suffer
For over a year, I tried everything and of course
In the end it didnt matter. I feel like everything
I did only prolonged her suffering. Now to today,
My older cat, hes almost 15, was diagnosed with
Hyperthyroidism. I brought him in because he
Was having seizures so I did blood work.
Hes a very big cat, 18 lbs, so we must have
Caught it early. I have been reading about this
Disease and it's similar to ckd. Not to mention
Many cats end up with ckd or liver problems.
The medicine is very harsh. My cat is not a
Pill taker and the transdermal gel is not an
Option because we have other cats and they
Cant get it on them.
I'm wondering if I should avoid treatment all
Together. Hes old, and making him suffer through
Horrible medicine, monthly bloodwork, and it wont
Cure it. Has anyone else been through this?
I'm so scared and dont want him to suffer from
It but at the same time I dont want his last days
To be me shoving pills down his throat.
Thank you for reading this. I'm a mess and cant
Eat or sleep.

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi RavenHawke,
I am sorry you are facing this difficult decision! For me it is always about their quality of life. Your beloved cat is almost 15 and may still have some time that he can enjoy with you. Terrible medication and monthly blookwork do not sound like a good way for him to enjoy his golden years. If it would cure him, that might be different but, if he was my cat, I would spend as much quality time with him as possible and let him just enjoy the time he has left.
I suspect, from the way you described his situation, that you are leaning this way and of course it has to your decision but I know it's difficult trying to think clearly when your pet is ill.
Wishing you both all the best. Please come back and update on how things are going.
Sending hugs,
MJ
RavenHawke

Reply with quote  #3 
Thank you. Yeah that's how I feel. I did the poking and prodding with my last cat who had ckd. And it didnt help and it made her miserable and I regret it all the time. I should have let her eat what she wanted (not that nasty kidney food) and enjoy herself. I'm not doing that again. Some people dont like my decision but they dont have to watch it or live it. I appreciate your support. It's hard but in the end, it's in gods hands anyways
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.