Forum

Author   Comment  
Belaire

Reply with quote  #1 
I have a 10 year old siberian husky (Slick) that was diagnosed with lymphoma cancer 2 weeks ago. We opted not to do chemo as the vet said he would probably only get about 2 months out of it at the stage he was in. It seems like this is rapidly advancing as I only noticed some scratches on his nose and eye that wouldnt fully heal a month before diagnosis. They gave him a steroid shot 2 weeks ago and another today. His lymph nodes are huge. I know nothing about canine cancer and I really don't know what to expect from here. I think the vet was trying not to upset me by being a little vague on what will happen as the cancer progresses. But I'm freaking out every time I notice a new lesion on his face or the nodes get huge or when he wheezes. I guess basically I'm scared and I don't know what the next symptom will be. When will I know when it's time to end this? I don't even know if he's in any pain. The lesions on his nose ooze and bleed if he bumps or rubs them. I just feel like I don't know anything. Everything I've looked up assumes you do chemo and barely mentions a prednisone shot. Has anyone been where I am now? Can you tell me exactly what to expect? I'd appreciate any help. Thanks

Reply with quote  #2 
I've been through lymphoma with my Baby Hannah. It eventually takes over their hole body. Hannah lasted about 6 months after the diagnosis. I'm very sorry you are going through this. We had Hannah on prednisone but after the shot and meds started it changed her some how, she just was not the same. I wish I could tell you that everything is going to be fine but I can not. Don't let your baby suffer. You will know when it is time.
Larry 
Otis_Mommy22

Reply with quote  #3 
I'm so sorry you and your Slick are going through this.  I took my Otis in for his yearly visit, and he was diagnosed with Lymphoma.  I thought this was a well visit, he wasn't acting sick at all.  After x-rays, he had nine tumors.  For a solid four weeks, he only seemed slightly tired, and had a slight cough.  Out vet put him on steroids at first, and we weened him down to a low dose, as it was making him have accidents in the house.  I didn't care about the accidents, but Otis would whimper the entire time he peed in the house. 

When he started wheezing, and coughing for longer periods of time is when it started to go down hill.  I was torn, as he was still eating, drinking, and would get excited to go on walks.  However, once outside, he could only walk for a few minutes before he was worn out.  Otis only had one lesion, and it was in a location (near his eye) that it was only bothered/bled once. 

Everybody kept telling me I'd know, he'd let me know when it was time.  And I kept doubting myself.  If I could've spared one minute of his pain, I would have.  My concern was that my boy dog never "acted" sick.  He was tired, but he was 11 1/2 years old, and sick.  His wheezing didn't keep him from sleeping.  Once night, he whimpered while wheezing, and it didn't seem as if he was comfortable, lying in the bed next to me, and he just stared at me.  So I called my vet, and made the appointment for the next day.  But then, Otis woke up in the morning, wagging his tail and wanting to go outside, so I cancelled it.  I was a mess.  Was I delaying his peace for me personally?  What was best for him? 

Two days later, he had no desire to eat, and his struggle to breathe was so much more evident; I made the appoint for the next day. 

It was a great help to me that one my dearest friends use to be a vet tech and is the mommy of 3 dogs.  She was able to walk me through exactly what would happen at the vet's office.  I knew anything shocking would be devastating for me.  If I can offer you any help in that sense, please let me know. 

I am praying for you, and Slick!

Lori

Reply with quote  #4 
Thank you Lori! That is exactly how i found out about slicks cancer. I brought him to the vet for antibiotics for a couple scratches on his nose that I thought weren't healing because he was getting dirt on them. Boy was I shocked when I left that visit. Since I posted before, I have put slick to sleep. I took him in on September 24. I'm still not sure if it was the right time yet, but I've finally come to some peace over it although I really beat myself up for the next week. Like you said, he was thrilled to go for walks, drives in the car or just lounging on the couch or bed. He seemed so happy! What did it for me was when he basically stopped eating. He wheezed and coughed sometimes off and on, but not much. He also seemed to be getting weaker. But the food really concerned me. At the end he either ate nothing all day or just a tiny pinch of something. I was afraid he'd starve. I to, know a vet tech and asked her opinion and she told me that's usually a sign, so the next day I brought him to the vet. The vet said his heart and lungs still sounded good, but if he wasn't eating that it would only be a matter of days. I decided to spare him that and we put him to sleep. Then I second guessed myself because the vet said his heart and lungs sounded good! It's truly a heart wrenching thing and I don't think anyone can truely know when is the exact right time. I like to think that by not eating it was slicks way of saying he was done. I miss him more than I can say. I do still have a part of him though, as I have 2 of his children. So I see parts of his personality through them. Thank you for the kind words and I'm very sorry for your loss of Otis. Keep in touch. Kim
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.