unluckyme

How do you go on?....I lost my baby Dusty on 10/4/2010.He was an orange tabby. We have had him only 2 1/2 yrs. He was a stray that just wondered through my yard and he looked so skinny that I just had to feed him...Well my husband told me not to feed him or he would never go away and I just had to feed him...I was told that if he came back a third time he was mine...well he came back and he was loved and spoiled for as long as we had him..We already had 2 other cats and Lucky was also a rescue that came to our yard and that was 8 yrs ago. Him and Dusty were inseparable.He also mourns for his brother....Around the first of Sept. I noticed he looked like he was losing weight and so we watched him and I was not satisfied so we took him to the Vet and on Sept. 13 he was diagnosed with FIP...for which there is no cure and we then took him to a A Vet school which we thought would prove evryone wrong ....he was there for 2 days and was put thru tests and they just confirmed his diagnosis....I watched a very vibrant kitty go downhill in a matter of 3 weeks and we had to make the decision to euthanize him and it killed me but he had not eaten in 4 days and I knew that couldn't go on...he was 1 sick baby....I could not be with him but my husband was and now I can't move on....he was everything to me....he was my talker and he followed me everywhere....we had him cremated and he is coming home today and I am just sick....how do I move on?.....did I do the right thing?....I have all these questions and NO answers....

Quote 0 0
judylinn
Im so sorry about your beautiful cat. It just seems things are so unfair sometimes. You of course did the right thing. You loved Dusty, and you wouldnt want him to suffer. You are still connected to dusty in your heart, and though you weren't there at the time, you can still have that conversation with him, that you would have if you had been there. Just let yourself grieve. it hurts like heck. letting go with the grief, though it hurts, helps you to heal.  Sometimes there are no answers to why things happen, and that is just very hard.
It may be hard to get his ashes so soon, but for most of us there is a comfort in knowing our baby is back home.  My heart hurts for you. I will keep you in my prayers.  Judy
Quote 0 0
TxGuy

I hear the same pain in your voice that many of us also felt when we had to make the most difficult decision in our lives. Although it hurts, you made one of the most loving and compassionate decisions that pet parents have to make. We understand and are here for you. I have found such support and help here from people who understand. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Like you, I lost my cat within the last two weeks. I have his ashes at home. Yes, it is sometimes hard to comprehend. Yet, there is some comfort in having his ashes back "home". The only thing that helps me on a daily basis is to picture him frolicking at the Rainbow Bridge free from cancer and have a great time playing with all of his new friends.

Quote 0 0
donnalee
Dear unlucky,
I am so, so sorry for your loss.  My experience was similar in that my furbaby went downhill so quickly.  I think I cried more that month he was so sick.  It is so painful to see them get sick like that and I totally sympathize with you.  I know it seems you can't go on but you will learn here that you have to and you will be able to do it.  I'm not saying it is easy but you will.   I know it is hard to look at the positive right now but you gave Dusty a life that he might not have had if he had not wandered to your house.  You gave Dusty a home and love even though it was too short.  You definitely did the right thing....you really had no choice.  It was a decision of LOVE.  I also took my Scottie to the vet hospital only to find out there was no cure.  You don't want to put them through continued suffering. 
You are going to have to allow yourself to cry and grieve.  It takes time and there is no other way.  Read some threads on this website.  I just bumped some old but good ones to the first page.  I don't know your personal beliefs but many of us here believe that our furbabies live on in a wonderful place (many call Rainbow Bridge, I call Heaven) and they have no more pain.   As time passes, that brings some comfort....also knowing that you will be reunited again some day. 
I'm so sorry for your pain and we are here for you.
Quote 0 0
tikibarb
I am very sorry  for your loss.  Our precious babies weedle their way into our hearts and teach us the true meaning of unconditional love.  It is so sad that they cannot be with us forever.  My heart breaks for you as I know hoe painful it is to lose a beloved pet.  I lost my best friend Ted on 7/7.  The pain cut so deep that I never thought I would feel OK again.  But. I am OK and after a river of tears, I can go on with my memories, however bittersweet.  I still talk to Ted pretty regularly and some people may think I am a nut but it makes me feel better to hope he can hear me.  It id very hard to bring their ashes home but it does become a comfort to know they are home where they belong. 
Barbara Lyngarkos
My Beloved Ted 8/7/2005 - 7/7/10
http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/TED001/Resident.htm
Quote 0 0
unluckyme

First of all I would like to thank all of you for your kind words. It has been a very trying time for me. I guess I am still in shock. I thought we would have Dusty forever.Sometimes Life just isn't fair.I don't know that I will ever get over the passing of Dusty. He was such an ANGEL. I see and look for him everywhere I go in the house. He followed me everywhere and when I said his name he would talk to me. I don't know the last time I didn't cry myself to sleep at night. I am just in complete shock and it just continues. I talk to him all the time and I am sure alot of people would think I am crazy. It is just so unreal how much they have given to your life and how big a part that they play in it. I am also sorry for all your losses too. I just hope the hurt gets easier and I am sure it will in time.

Quote 0 0
wolfshadoww
I am sorry to hear about the loss of your beautiful baby. Like you, my baby was only in my life a few short years. 3.

It is very hard, but cry and kick and scream and do everything you need to, to grieve, and know that you did the right thing by helping to end his suffering. I am sure he is eternally grateful that you helped get him to the Rainbow Bridge. It hurts and it will. It does get a little easier over time, but we love these animals so deeply when they bless our lives.

You are his angel for taking him in when he was a stray. Even though your time together was short, think of how well you treated him. That helps get me through each day with the loss of mine. Our time together was short, but he lived a great 3 years.

I am sure we will see our furbabies again! How could we have such wonderful bonds with them, otherwise?

Please take the time you need to grieve and know that we are all here to help you. The people on this board are amazing!

R.I.P. Spider 7-16-10

You were very loved and will always, always be missed.
Quote 0 0
unluckyme
It is not easy as we all know to lose our babies....maybe some people are stronger than others on how they deal with losses...it has been 19 days today and it seems like it was today that the nightmare began...it isn't getting any easier....I can' t sleep and I talk to Dusty all the time...I have his picture in my office where my computer is and the pic I have of him just looks at me and follows me everywhere I go in that room...At night him and I would be together in the office...him either sitting on the copier looking out the window or on the other chair in the office....He was usually always where I was...He was my talker...always saying something and now the brother he left behind is also mourning and I am so worried about him....All his brother does is sleep and mope around...I know he is as confused as I am...He looks at me like if asking ...what did you do with my brother?....that is very heartbreaking.....I don't know if the pain will ever subside...I try remembering all the good times and that makes me even sadder because we just can't understand how you go from a healthy Cat to a very sick cat all of a sudden and then you get devastating news telling you that he is dying ....I can understand when we get older things do happen but when so young and so full of life and then they are gone.....IS SO VERY HARD TO SWALLOW
Quote 0 0
Lisasjf
Unlucky someone told me not to long ago that animals choose their owners. At first I blew that off, but the more I think about it I know it's true. I know my Baby came to me, being born from my older dog Pandy. I know this because if she had been born in anyone elses house she probably would have never even lived to begin with. I only had her for 10 years , But I know they were extremely happy years for her. She used to tell me how happy she was all the time in the things she did.
Dusty chose you! Your story says that loud and clear and yes you absolutely did the right thing. He started out as a stray with no one loving him or careing for him, and left this world a happy cat that was adored. What animal could ask for more?  Dusty knew you loved him. How could he not?

Quote 0 0
slotaddict
So very very sorry that you lost Dusty..we both lost our pets on the same day..as well as some other people on this forum. Its hard to beleive that this was happening on the same day to so many people. 
I can;t tell you it will get better, because it has not for me yet..My baby was 16 1/2 we had a lifetime of love together..
Hopfully, we will both find peace with the loss of our best friends.
I will say a prayer for you and hope that you will come to terms with your loss..We all loved our animals, and when they go they take a piece of our hearts with them.  I hope your sick kitty has been restored to new vigor at the bridge and is having the time of his life.
Quote 0 0
judylinn
Im so sorry unlucky that you are in such pain, I know at 19 days I was a mess! I too agree with Lisa, that our pets choose us, for reasons we sometimes know, or come to find later.
We all grieve differently and inour own time, and it has not been that long for you. Our furbabies touch our heart in such a deep way, its not suprising the depth of the pain when they pass. I will keep you in my prayers.. Judy

Quote 0 0
Rottiesmammandaddy

We're sorry for your loss. We had our baby for a short time as well, 1 year and 3mos. Rottie was our world, yes we have his mom and dad but he was special needs and we truly wrapped our lives around him. In the end when he got sick, we felt the pain so deep in our bones we never thought it would end. It's been almost 3 wks now that he has been gone, the pain has lessened some, it's not as mind numbing as it was, and a lot of the support from here at RB is the reason. Everyone here has gone thru the same type of pain, so they all understand, and that makes it a wonderful sanctuary to be a part of. We will keep you and your baby in our prayers as you travel down this road, just know that you are not alone.  Steve and Dawn

In Loving Memory of Rottie, our baby boy
http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/ROTTI002/Resident.htm
Quote 0 0
unluckyme
I do agree with Lisa also Judy...I believe Dusty picked me also...just so many things lead up to him coming to me and not going away....We showed him that not all humans are  BAD or MEAN...he came up to me from day 1 and I knew I had to give him a chance to have a great life...he was spoiled rotten as are the other 2 cats we have...but there was just something different about Dusty...He was the heart of my heart....I want to thank you all for your prayers and I also will pray for all of you...He will forever be a part of me till we are together forever then there will never be anymore tears again.   Carol & Jerry

http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/DUSTY139/Resident.htm

Quote 0 0