Samsdad
My boy Jack died in my arms Saturday morning and the pain in my heart is so bad I can barely function . He was 13 year old Labradoodle that I had since he was 3 months old . We were at the vet on Friday and the vet gave us hope and him lots of meds . He wasn’t a pet he was a person in a dogs body . Everything happened so fast . I can’t stop crying . I don’t even want to eat . I lost a 20 year old cat 2 years ago but this pain is so much worse . I truly lost my best friend . I can’t stop thinking about him . I am so lost more than I have ever been in my life . I don’t know what to do . I have 2 other dogs 6 and 2 but they don’t seem to even notice he’s gone . Someone please tell me it gets better . He’s being cremated and I have to pick up his ashes next week . One week ago he was fine .
Quote 0 0
MAlcindor
Robert I am so very sorry for the loss of your baby. Yes, the pain and shock is terrible. The first couple of weeks are the worse, no eating, sleeping, so much crying and so much pain. Your world has stopped yet it continues to spin around you. Time does dull the pain a little but for me it took quite some time. It's been almost 3 months since I lost my Max and 2 since Bailey and I still cry every single day. The heavyness in my chest has diminished but the hole I feel in my heart I'm afraid will never heal. Our babies become such an important part of us they are like little children in fur suits and when they are gone you feel lost and it is difficult to comprehend how you are supposed to carry on without them. Cry all you need to, tears are very healing. Everyone on this forum has been through the agonizing pain of losing a fur/feathered baby so they are very understanding of the pain and always offer words of comfort. I found it comforting to bring their ashes home, I felt they were finally back where they belonged. I wish you lots of peace as this pain is still so raw for you. 
Quote 0 0
Samsdad
Thank you so much for your kindness . It’s the kindness of people like yourself who have been through these similar losses . I wish you peace also . A lot of people don’t understand that these are little people inside . No matter how old they get they are always children inside .
Quote 0 0
Chinadoll
Robert, I am so sorry for your loss of Jack, but I am so glad you found this forum. I came here a couple weeks after I lost China, and have been here ever since. So many good people here, so many who truly understand this type of loss, this type of grief. The early weeks and months will be so difficult, all the routines gone, so many days of tears, guilt, the why's, so forth. I can tell you that it will get better, it will, but it can take a while, it varies for each individual. So many here, myself included, describe the loss as the worse in their life, even more so than a dear relative. I've lost my mom, my dad, my brother, dear close friends, but this loss was so much more than I had ever expected. A lot has been written about the loss of a fur friend, this special bond that transcends all others. I learned what the term 'heart dog' means, this bond is so special, so deep because the love is so special and deep also. It is unlike anything else I have ever experienced. I know now why my grief is so profound, it is because of the love I had received and the love I gave, I understand now. Like Marlen said, I was so comforted by getting their ashes back home, it helped me, I felt closer to them. There are a lot of things you can do to help, just little things whenever you feel like you can. Some can be difficult at first but get easier with time. I started a journal, wrote down my feelings, wrote to China and Nicky, read books on the subject, wrote down all the memories I could, lit candles, made a little memorial with their ashes and collars and toys. All these things can help some, but only when you are able to do it. Coming here helped the most, more than anything. Blessings to you and I pray for peace and comfort in the days, weeks and months ahead.
Charlie
Quote 0 0
Rookiesmama
Robert,
I am so sorry about Jack. The eating (and not sleeping well) are normal. After my Rookie passed I had no appetite and felt no reason to eat if I wasn't hungry. Friends would constantly pester me to eat, and I know they meant well, but when your world ceases to exist and you feel like you can't breathe, food isn't important. For me, I bought protein bars and shakes, and it helped.

So many people don't understand how important these animals are, but everyone here does. Thinking of you❤
Quote 0 0
Sil
Samsdad,

I am truly sorry for your loss of Jack.  This pain is like no other, because the love and bond is like no other.  After my beloved, male doggie Sol, said good bye, my world lost all its color, time was passing, but I was stuck - "on that day".  I was not able to eat, but forced myself to eat "saltine crackers, and anything else had to be cold -Canada dry, Gatorade, soda - cold to numb my pain.  The hard part was going back to work after thirteen days.  Cry, write, grieve, Jack has been an essential part of your life.  If someone does not understand this pain, it is their loss, because they have not experienced such an unconditional love, incomparable loyalty, non-judgmental friend, best listener, best protector.... the list could be endless.

In this forum, we all understand you.  Again, I am sorry for your loss.  Sending you strength.
Quote 0 0
Samsdad
Thank you eveyone all your kind words and stories have all touched my heart .
Quote 0 0
MAlcindor
He's beautiful, I know how much you miss him. I hope you're doing ok.
Quote 0 0
Rookiesmama
He's so handsome!! ❤❤ I love the curly/ wavy hair!
Quote 0 0
Samsdad
Thanks to all for your kindness. It’s helped get me through these past few horrible days .
Quote 0 0
Bizzy
It does get better but it takes time. I lost Robert the Bruce on July 8- it was sudden and he was only a year old.I have had to deal with my own grief,and that of two of my cats.The first month was the worst-I couldn't stop crying,I thought the pain of his loss was going to kill me.I am still not eating well,nothing appeals to me,but I have to keep going to care for my cats.I am sorry for your loss-Robert was a fur person also-i know how badly you must be hurting. Talking to people on the forum helped save my sanity,and the kindness of some responses assuaged my pain.Cry when you need to ,and keep that one step and than another forward,your dogs need their dad.Writing this has left me in tears,but the frightening pain has lessened spme what,I wish you all the best and know you are not alone.
Quote 0 0
missinmylady13
I know how you feel Samsdad. Five months today since I lost my little girl Lady. I think about her almost every hour of every day. They are like our children and the loss can be more devastating than losing a human loved one. Take comfort in knowing you gave Jack the best life he could have had. The pain never really goes away but in time you learn to cope with it. Hang in there and keep writing here. Everyone here knows what you are going through.
Quote 0 0
Pockets
I can feel your pain. My kitten was only 9 months old and the vet said he just had a bite from another cat and he would be fine. Two weeks later I had to put him to sleep because he couldn’t use his back legs anymore. Turns out he had aggressive spinal lymphoma. Basically he had a tumour on his spine and it was most likely there since he was a few weeks old. It’s been 5 days without him and I’ve eaten maybe three times. The pain has to go away. I don’t know how to handle the sadness and anger. I am so angry, I couldn’t help him at all. I seriously want to slam my fist into a wall.
Quote 0 0