anang

Anna Ng’s Hurricane Adventures

Well thankfully, it looks as if Hurricane Dorian may pass those of us in sunny Florida. But the recent loss of my 19 and a half year old angel Anna Ng and the flood of hurricane reporting brought me to ponder the three hurricane adventures that Anna Ng and I lived through.

Hurricane Wilma, October 2005: I was living in a two-story U-shaped apartment building. The storm was impending, but since I didn’t live near the ocean at the time, I decided to ride the proverbial wave. The storm was worse than anyone imagined. Throughout the brutal storm I hung out with (and thankfully shared a generator with) two couples who lived next door and downstairs, respectively. Everyone else in the apartment complex bailed, and most of the apartment units were subsequently deemed uninhabitable. But for two glorious weeks, Anna Ng and I lived in this U-shaped vast wasteland that was right on the river. She had never been an outdoor cat, but something got into her and her feral instincts took over. She would leave our apartment in the morning and scour every inch of the foliage and grass, acting like a cat warrior. She came back every afternoon with this look on her face as if she had achieved greatness. Then, as always, she would spend all night asleep under my arm. Eventually, we left and moved into an inhabitable apartment. Anna Ng never went outside again, but she enjoyed her adventures during that odd time.

Hurricane Matthew, October 2016: October must have been our lucky month! This time I was living on the 14th floor of a high-rise condo right on the river. I lived in a mandatory evacuation zone. Of course the power went out. Thankfully, Anna Ng was always agreeable and gave only a small fight getting into her carrier. Also, she only weighed a slight 7 lbs., so carrying her down the 14 flights of stairs was tolerable. She was always an angel. We went and stayed with a friend for the night. My friend happened to own a rather large house, with many nooks and crannies. In the middle of the night I found Anna Ng curled up in the walk-in closet of the lady who owned the house, purring like crazy. I will never forget the look of utter contentment on her face. Anna Ng was happy as could be. Thankfully, we were able to return home, unscathed, the next day.

Hurricane Irma, September 2017: This one was the kicker! Our high-rise on the river got smashed. The structure was fine, but the lobby and garage were flooded, and part of the building lit on fire. We had to evacuate, not for a night, but for over a month! As always, Anna Ng took everything in stride. At first we went to an Extended Stay for over a week. It was sort of like a mini-vacation. They had a brilliant breakfast buffet, awesome pool, and great workout room. Anna Ng enjoyed lounging on the bed and as always would sleep under my arm every night. But after being advised by our condo board that it would be over a month before we could move back in, I re-vamped our plan. I rented a condo near our home for a month. Anna Ng loved this place. It has this amazing walk-in closet that could have served as a second bedroom. She and I spend many a happy hour on the floor in there, cuddling, while I read books and she slept under my arm. After just under a month, we were advised that we could move back into our condo, although the elevator didn’t work. So I happily trudged up the stairs with my little princess cat Anna Ng. We were happy to return to our little abode.

I hope that gives you a picture of my beautiful girl and how sweet and adaptable she was. She died peacefully on July 29th of this year. She gave me the happiest 19 and a half years of my life.

Much love to everyone,
Katie

K. Unger
Quote 0 0
Memories_of_Marmalade

Dear Katie,

Thank you for sharing your Hurricane Adventure stories here on the forum. As you know my cat Marmalade and I survived many adventures together, but we never endured a HURRICANE! let alone 3 of them! That is most impressive.

When we were on the road for 3 1/2 months from New Mexico to Los Angeles, Marmalade and I we lived in 8 different locations until we settled in the 9th. A warehouse. And I was shocked that Marmalade adjusted so well to being in all of those different locations over time. Like your baby Anna NG he seemed to take it all in stride and just looked at it all as if we were on an adventure. Marmalade traveled on a bicycle, in taxi cabs, a police car, a shuttle bus, a train and 2 jet planes and was totally calm, cool and cooperative the entire time. : )

God bless our little ones, they always made life more enjoyable and during the tough times, more bearable.

All best again,
James
Quote 0 0
anang
James,

Thanks for reading my ramblings.

I am so curious to hear about how you and Marmalade traveled via bicycle. I have a visual image of it in my head, and it's beyond delightful. Do tell ;)

-Katie
K. Unger
Quote 0 0
Memories_of_Marmalade

Thanks Katie. I hope you and yours are safe there with the hurricane in Florida. Please let us know that you and Meepers are doing okay.

Well, when I moved to New Mexico I sold my car, as I had been promised a car from the psychopath who rented us the house in the flood zone. His older brother was very wealthy and they had at least 20 cars at their warehouse compound. Many were classic cars stored in a warehouse and some were regular day to day cars and trucks. The car was never provided to me (nor my partner.) So I was literally stranded in the desert. With no money, no transportation, no friends or family, pneumonia and no way to get back to California.

I stored my extensive Hollywood memorabilia inventory, that we had brought with us to New Mexico (in a giant Ryder truck) at the flood zone house and up at that evil one's brother warehouse, but the majority of it was stolen by the maniac. But fortunately I had managed to hold on to my bicycle that I had brought with me from Los Angeles. And for months that was the only transportation I had. So at one point, I needed to transport Marmalade to a motel, so I put him in his cat carrier, suspended from the handlebars of my bike and off we went. Lol. He was very good natured about doing so. He got to see many sights and smell different scents. Which he seemed to enjoy. As I've mentioned he was almost completely deaf.

I am glad that he had different experiences and adventures with me. When I walked him to the Animal Hospital to have him put to sleep, I stopped along the route so that he could see flowers, ducks, the L.A. river (aqueduct) etc. I wanted him to experience as much of life as he could before he departed.

All best,
James
Quote 0 0
anang
James,

I have this brilliant vision in my head of you and Marmalade riding around on your bike. That is precious.

You gave Marmalade the experience of his life! He flourished and thrived and got to experience so many things.

-Katie
K. Unger
Quote 0 0