Beagleboy
Hello-I am new to the forums. I lost my beloved Hunter last Thursday morning. We had to send him on-he was so miserable. I call him my super beagle because-well he was. We adopted him from a rescue and he was the smartest, most stubborn and funniest beagle we have had. He was our fourth and it was not long before he was making us smile. And he trained us well. He loved to walk but if he found a spot with an interesting aroma in the air he just stopped, laid down and stayed for a while. I called him my ‘stop and smell the roses’ beagle. And there was no moving him. Only when he was ready.
The other reason he is a super beagle is because my boy lived thru hemangiosarcoma-his spleen ruptured in Januray 2016. He was saved with emergency surgery but it was cancer that was found. He took IV chemo and did great. The staff absolutely loved him-he was very calm and just laid there for treatment. After IV chemo we did oral meds-then his kidney’s showed problems in October of 2016. So we stopped oral chemo and maintained treatment with herbals. Every follow up treatment we waited for the other shoe to drop. Average life span of this cancer with treatment is 18 months- as of Hunter’s death he was at 32 months. Plus renal failure usually progresses rapidly in dogs. But he was stable until June of this year and than everything went wrong. I did my best to help keep him at his new ‘abnormal normal’. IV fluids under the skin twice a day, the recommended medications, tried to find a special diet he would eat-prepared the food myself. I loved taking care of him. And he had some good quality days. But then-even though I was so optimistic we werre making headway he stopped eating the home cooked foods, we tried everything to get him to eat better. Tuesday last he quit eating, Wednesday was not any better. I knew it was time but my husband held on to help. Wed night was awful. My husband finally heard me when I told him we had to help Hunter move on.
I am so heartbroken. Hunter was only 11, since he was a rescue we got him as a 1 yr old so living with us for just a little over 10 years. The time went so fast. I cannot eat solid food-haven’t eaten real food since lasat Monday night. Sleeping can be tough. The what if’s are attempting to torture me but at some level I know that Hunter wouldn’t have lived until September without the interventions I employed. And I would still be doing it if he was doing well.
Thanks for listening-this was my boy mid day on Wednesday. Run free sweet Hunter!
Lisa
Hunter’s Mom
Quote 0 0
jimmyr
Lisa, so sorry to hear about Hunter, and I understandd the pain you're going through, I just sent my little buddy of 15 years on his way last Wednesday morning and it hit me harder than I ever imagined.
I don't have any real words of wisdom to help you as I'm trying to find my way down this same painful path.
It did help me some to read other posts, others who are or have gone through this and realizing I'm not crazy or overreacting. it is a huge loss. At times I think maybe I'm getting a little better and a few minutes later my eyes are full of tears.
It sounds like Hunter truely was a super beagle, you were both blessed to find each other through the rescue.
Hang in there, I don't know when it gets easier, I'm just trying to put one foot in front of the other.
Jim
Jim Ruby
Quote 0 0
Molly_Beagle_Mom_4ever
Lisa, I am so sorry for the loss of your super beagle Hunter. It sounds like he went through so much, and you were right there with him every step of the way. That unconditional love never ends, in fact it continues to grow stronger as your connection strengthens too. Hunter knows how very much you love him, and he will show you he’s always near. The pain is sometimes unbearable but will soften as you realize Hunter is always a very special part of you.

Our beagle girl was Molly, so I know how very precious beagles are. I’m sure Molly, Hunter and all of their friends are having a wonderful time playing at the Bridge. No more pain, except the emptiness we feel in our hearts. Wishing you peace and healing.

Molly’s Mom, Dawn
Love you infinitely our little Molly. Forever and ever XOXO
Quote 0 0
missinmylady13
So sorry Lisa that you lost your beautiful boy Hunter. I'm sure you were an incredible Mom to him. So funny that you mentioned him stopping everytime he caught an interesting aroma. My Pocket Beagle Lady would do the same and we could never get her to walk on until she was good and ready. Keep writing here because it really does help in dealing with the grief. We would love to hear more about your beautiful Hunter. 

Jack
Quote 0 0
Beagleboy
Thank you so much for your kind words and sharing your stories of your precious babies. I offer my deepest sympathy to all of you. I am already feeling less shattered with the help of people on this forum and the facebook page. I have remaining dog who may be grieving-she is a cavalier/cocker spaniel mix and relied on Hunter to be her confidence. My special needs kitty who was Hunter’s buddy seems to be doing ok but he has been a bit grumpy and not eating as well. My other kitty who used to wap Hunter on the nose is not acting like himself either. Having them to care for is helping me and keeping me from just thinking about my hurt. They all know that something has changed.
Lisa
Hunter’s Mom
Quote 0 0
MAlcindor
I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful Hunter. You gave him an incredible life and did so much to prolong his life against all odds. Sleeping and eating are very difficult the first couple of weeks as the pain is so raw. Your other pets in the home do sense something has changed so I'm glad that you are there to help them along. Writing in this forum has been the only way I've been able to deal with the loss of my babies. I encourage you to do so as every one here understand the pain. Sending you healing hugs at this very tough time.
Quote 0 0
nosunshine36
Dear Lisa,
Hunter was a handsome boy and a happy one. I applaud you for rescuing him!
I know it's such a painful time now for you and your husband missing him. I'm so sorry!
Blessings,
Sharon
Quote 1 0
Beagleboy
Thank you so much. We are very strong advocates of rescue. Our first dog is a rescue and we have rescued all of our other animals. They have been such blessings in our lives. Hunter was so special. . It is hard to believe he is gone from life (but not my heart). Missing him so much today. It is warm and the wind is blowing-he would have loved laying outside.
Lisa
Hunter’s Mom
Quote 0 0
GoneTooSoon
I lost my beagle mix 4 years ago this month, his name was also Hunter. My heart goes out to you.
Quote 0 0