Forum

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 12      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   6   Next   »
BlairS

Reply with quote  #31 
Whatever happens, that is good advice to savor the moments you have.  I knew my cat would not live a normal lifespan, and I honestly tried to be thankful for every day.  When the time came it was still not enough though.  It can never be enough.

And there is inevitable guilt that comes with that as well.  The time my cat spent sitting around, waiting for attention while I was on the computer or doing other things around the house.  I should have spent that time with her because none of those other things really matter.  I used to give her treats in the morning on my bed - breakfast treats.  I used to give her treats when I came home after she had been home alone while I was working or whatever.  Sometimes she would sit by the chair and look at the bag of treats there - yes, she was a mooch.  I distinctly remember saying, a few weeks before she got sick that it can't be treats all the time buddy.  Now all I can think is I should have just given her the **** treats.

I normally plant a garden in my backyard.  She used to sit out there and watch me work in it.  There is no garden this year, I just can't do it.  A neighbor asked me yesterday how my garden was doing and I just started to cry.  I don't know what they made of that, and I don't care.  It's going to be a long time before life ever approaches anything near normal here again.  It's just never going to be the same.

I'm still holding out hope for Huckleberry though, as I'm sure everyone else here is as well.  We will be watching for any news.

Blair
just_lost

Reply with quote  #32 
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckleberry1918
It's really strange how when we have pets, we stop thinking of them as pets and we think of them as regular people and family members. It's only when this happens, that we realize they actually are animals and not humans.

I've always thought of them as people.  When their time is up, however, I realize that they're better than people.  That makes their absence more painful.

Quote:
If you have any other pets, make sure you cherish them and savor the times that you bond with them. Every morning, my wife would get up and let Huckleberry and Banjo in the house and feed them. I would take a shower, but would always leave the door slightly open, because Huckleberry would come in and wait on the sink for me to rub his neck. He would also walk back and forth on the sink and I would pet him. After a couple of minutes, he would walk over to his glass of water next to the sink and I would dump it, and give him cold water from the sink. While I would bring the glass from the fawcet to the counter, he would lick my hand for a while, then start drinking. At times I was so busy, that I would try to get out of the shower quickly and then go make coffee, since I was always in a hurry. I would try to finish in the bathroom before he got in there. Now, I wish I could have those moments back. Make sure if you have any of those bonding mioments with your pets, that you savor them. I think Huckleberry passed Rainbows Bridge and if he did, then he doesn't need to change a thing. He's the perfect cat and he never caused us a single problem. 

I'm doing this with our remaining four, wondering if I've just taken them for granted.  That's a terrible feeling.  I take more time in the mornings and evenings to pet them, talk to them, give them kisses since Felix crossed the bridge.  Hailey doesn't drink where everyone else drinks - she wants water from the cup on the bathroom sink and has for years.  She'll put her hands in it and then lick them.  Damn cat.  Felix learned this from her, but he drank like a normal person.  Hailey does some of the same things as Huckleberry...licking hands, wanting pets and back scratches.
just_lost

Reply with quote  #33 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlairS
I'm still holding out hope for Huckleberry though, as I'm sure everyone else here is as well.  We will be watching for any news.

Blair

Most definitely seconded, Blair!
just_lost

Reply with quote  #34 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcunnane
Love your story of Huckleberry and the bathroom. I used to have to leave the door open for Bubby. If I didn't, he would stand up on his back legs and paw at the door.

This is Hailey.  She either stands on her back legs or flops over and paws at the door.  She's well on her way to destroying the door trim.  Destroyer.  If the door doesn't latch all the way, she'll just push her way in.  Brute 😉
huckleberry1918

Reply with quote  #35 
I want to thank everybody for their support. I'm trying to get on my with my life without Huckleberry, but I'm still hoping and praying that I open the door and he's there waiting to come in. God may never answer my prayers but I know that he's watching out for Huckleberry and if he's in heaven he'll be with his older brother Pedro and he'll finally get a chance to meet his other older brother Nomar. He'll also be looking over us and will be with us in spirt when we're gardending in the yard and when I'm cooking on the grill and when we're at our neighbor's bonfires.
just_lost

Reply with quote  #36 
I know how hard it can be to not have closure, huckleberry1918.  Don't hesitate to post here anytime.  Good day, bad day, good news, bad news...we look forward to hearing from you and we remain hopeful for your beautiful buddy.
Jcunnane

Reply with quote  #37 
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_lost

This is Hailey.  She either stands on her back legs or flops over and paws at the door.  She's well on her way to destroying the door trim.  Destroyer.  If the door doesn't latch all the way, she'll just push her way in.  Brute 😉

Damn cat 😉

Bubby's (Milo) Mommy - Always & Forever My Little Man ðŸ’œ

just_lost

Reply with quote  #38 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcunnane

Damn cat 😉

😃
Jcunnane

Reply with quote  #39 
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_lost

I've always thought of them as people.  When their time is up, however, I realize that they're better than people.  That makes their absence more painful.

I'm doing this with our remaining four, wondering if I've just taken them for granted.  That's a terrible feeling.  I take more time in the mornings and evenings to pet them, talk to them, give them kisses since Felix crossed the bridge.  Hailey doesn't drink where everyone else drinks - she wants water from the cup on the bathroom sink and has for years.  She'll put her hands in it and then lick them.  Damn cat.  Felix learned this from her, but he drank like a normal person.  Hailey does some of the same things as Huckleberry...licking hands, wanting pets and back scratches.

I just got off the phone with a licensed social worker who specializes in pet caregivers grieving and I said I never knew how much I depended on him and I felt like I took Bubby for granted. How horrible it feels. How my phone used to be full of kitty photos before our daughter came. It's so true and I'm trying really hard to be more present for Lola as I know this has to be extremely difficult for her as well.

huckleberry1918

Reply with quote  #40 
We got Banjo a couple of months after Pedro died. He's 2 years old now. I just petted him for about 15 minutes. He's probably going to get sick of me.

I was just telling my wife, I remember when we got Huckleberry. We put Nomar to sleep on Aug 1, 2012. We grieved alot. We also worried about Pedro being alone and thought maybe Pedro was looking for him. A little over two months later, we went on a vacation for our anniversary to Chincoteague, Virginia. While we there, my wife told me she's ready for another pet. I was reluctant at first, but I said alright. We went to the Richmond SPCA on October 20th and adopted Huckleberry. It took longer than I thought, and we left the SPCA at about 2:00PM. We didn't eat anything and we were starving, so we went to a McDonalds drive through and got a late lunch. The whole ride home, Huckleberry looked like he was smiling in his pet taxi and was excited to meet us. When we got him home, we kept him away from Pedro, because we were afraid Pedro would hurt him. Huckleberry kept walking sideways trying to prove to Pedro hewas tough. Pedro quickly started to like Huckleberry and we didn't have to separate them again.
just_lost

Reply with quote  #41 
Quote:
The whole ride home, Huckleberry looked like he was smiling in his pet taxi and was excited to meet us. When we got him home, we kept him away from Pedro, because we were afraid Pedro would hurt him. Huckleberry kept walking sideways trying to prove to Pedro hewas tough.

This made me smile - thank you!  I can just see Huckleberry's beautiful smile.  Your comment made me think about Away, Brutus, Hailey, and Midget.  They all smile occasionally.  Midget will sometimes walk sideways with her fur fluffed up when she gets excited.  That's funny stuff 😉
huckleberry1918

Reply with quote  #42 
There's still no sign of Huckleberry. I love him and miss him. Each day the pain is getting less and less. I'm going to try to see if I can focus on other stuff today. I might change the oil in my lawn mower and see if I can do some lawnwork. Everything reminds me of him, but I need to get past everything and start trying to function. 
Jcunnane

Reply with quote  #43 
Quote:
There's still no sign of Huckleberry. I love him and miss him. Each day the pain is getting less and less. I'm going to try to see if I can focus on other stuff today. I might change the oil in my lawn mower and see if I can do some lawnwork. Everything reminds me of him, but I need to get past everything and start trying to function. 

One step at a time. Today is 3 weeks since Bubby crosses to the RB and I’m still a space cadet. Multitasking is just not happening these days. I start one thing then do another then another without finishing what I started. I really have to focus on what I’m doing. I wasn’t like that before.

Still hoping Huckleberry will make a safe return. I know you said your hopes were diminishing but praying he does just come strutting home.

Hugs,
Jackie

huckleberry1918

Reply with quote  #44 
Thanks Jackie. I don't think he'll be coming home, but I'm praying he still does. I'm not giving up hope, and miracles do happen. Almost everybody has a story about how a pet left for a week and came back. This is not like him though and there aren't many houses in the area. 

This is the first message, I've typed without crying.
huckleberry1918

Reply with quote  #45 
Huckleberry was born on June 5, 2012 and we found and adopted him from the Richmond SPCA on October 20, 2012. I just googled that day and found out it was the Sweetest Day. I've never heard of that holiday before, but he is the sweetest cat.

https://www.travelerstoday.com/articles/3415/20121020/sweetest-day-2012-meaning-history-sweet-holiday-on-october-20-candy-chocolate-hallmark-cleveland-ohio.htm
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.