Forum

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 12      1   2   3   4   Next   »
huckleberry1918

Reply with quote  #1 
My best buddy, Huckleberry, a 7 year old tabby cat, never came home Saturday morning. We live in the country where there are alot of woods and farms. He loves to go outside at night time. We have neighbors who don't even let their cats in the house, so we thought he'd be alright. He likes to go to the bathroom outside instead of his litter box, so he usually wakes us up at about 3:00 in the morning to go outside and he's always there at the door at 6:00AM when we get up to feed him. Saturday morning he didn't come home.

We talked to the neighbors and they're going to keep an eye out for him. We also heard that there are some cayotes in the area. I'm fearing the worst. This is the worst feeling not knowing. I went in the woods with his "treats" and shook the box and called him, and there's been no answer. I walked alot of the woods and haven't seen any evidence of him or any wild animals. There aren't many roads and not many houses, so we don't think anybody has him or will find him, if he's still alive. I'm praying and hoping for the best, but I'm fearing the worst. Not knowing is the worst feeling. If he got attacked, then I hope he didn't suffer. I really miss him and hope he's alright. I'm going through a tough time right now. Please keep him in your prayers. I don't think we'll ever know what happened to him, unless he shows up back at door some day.
Jan_H

Reply with quote  #2 
I am so sorry for what you are going through. I hope Huckleberry returns soon. Maybe he was chased and scared and hasn't found his way back yet. Don't give up hope and keep looking. You and Huckleberry are in my thoughts.

Jan
huckleberry1918

Reply with quote  #3 
Thank you Jan. I'm not giving up hope but I don't know how much more I can look for him. I can't walk through the woods much more. At this point, I think all we can do is pray that he comes home. If he's alive and is close by, then he knows where the house is. I've walked alot of the woods and called him. The woods have very thick brush and are kind of hilly with alot of downed branches and tree limbs. If he heard me he would have came out. I must be realistic but it makes me feel even more guilty. Right now, i'm a wreck and think the only thing we can do is wait it out.
Jan_H

Reply with quote  #4 
I can tell that Huckleberry is very much loved. You let him out as usual and he did not return at his usual time. It is normal to feel guilty but it is not your fault. I've known some cats to be missing for a few days and return safely. So I'm still hoping for Huckleberry to return.
just_lost

Reply with quote  #5 
I'm sorry, huckleberry1918.  I've been where you are, and waiting is the absolute worst because you don't know.  We live in a subdivision and have cat doors, so our four critters can come and go as they please (and I worry about them all the time because we have idiot knuckle-dragging mouth-breathers who occasionally rip through the 25mph zones at 35 and faster).  We thought we lost two cats on separate occasions; Hailey wandered away when she was just a kitten, and she wound up in a neighbor's sun room a few days later.  Jazz (better known as 'Brutus') vanished for nearly six months and then just showed up one night.  No idea where he'd gone.  Away sometimes disappears for a day or three at a time and worries us to death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan_H
I can tell that Huckleberry is very much loved. You let him out as usual and he did not return at his usual time. It is normal to feel guilty but it is not your fault. I've known some cats to be missing for a few days and return safely. So I'm still hoping for Huckleberry to return.

I echo what Jan_H has said.  It's normal (and way too easy) to blame yourself, but you followed the same routine that you both had established.  Try to not blame yourself.  Many of us know that's hard.  Know that we're all here for you and hoping for Huckleberry's safe return.
huckleberry1918

Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks Jan and Just_Lost. I put a message on Pawboost with a picture and they forwarded it to Facebook and to all the local animal rescue places. Because we're in the country, I don't think anybody will see him. I also don't know what direction he's in. He's a beautiful cat and very friendly. Our neighbors have bonfires and he follows us around and they get him a chair and he sits on it, like a human at the bonfires. He also leaves when we leave. We have one other cat, and this is going to be it for us. I love cats and they bring years of good times, but when this happens, it's torture. I keep thinking the worst and thinking he was attacked by an animal and is suffering or had a painful death. I wish I could get these thoughts out of my head, it doesn't help. We've done everything we could for him  and we've given him a great life, but in this case, we can't help him. 
Jcunnane

Reply with quote  #7 
Hi huckleberry1918,

I'll keep thinking positive thoughts for you and for a safe return for Huckleberry. Our friends kitty, disappeared in the center of Philadelphia for a month. He eventually returned all dirty...no clue where he was. I know it's easy to feel guilty and blame yourself but like just_lost and Jan said you did the same thing you did every other day. He sounds like such a funny character acting like a human. 

We're here for you!

Hugs,
Jackie

Bubby's (Milo) Mommy - Always & Forever My Little Man 💜

just_lost

Reply with quote  #8 
I hurt for you folks...I really do.  Your description reminds me a lot of Away, Brutus, and Hailey; I always refer to them as people because, to me, they're just as much part of the family as anybody else.

I love most all animals, but I have a particularly soft spot for cats.  I understand what you're going through and I hope that you find closure soon (hopefully in the form of a roaming Huckleberry showing up at your door).

Good day, bad day, found him or not, please let us know how things are going.  We're all here for you, and I've no doubt that we all hurt with you.
huckleberry1918

Reply with quote  #9 
Thank you all, for your responses. We love cats. We got two cats (Nomar and Pedro) back in 2001, and we had to put Nomar to sleep in 2012. That was really tough. That was the first pet I really loved that passed away. Four months later we got Huckleberry. He was the funniest kitten. I would throw a bread tie and would chase it and bring it back to my wife. Then she would throw it and he'd bring it back to me. He would also sit on my knee while I tried to put my socks on. He's been a great friend. In 2017, we had to put Pedro to sleep. That was easier because he was ill for a while and he lived a long life. Two months after Pedro passed away, we got another kitten, Banjo. Right now, we're not letting Banjo out anymore at night. He doesn't wander as much as Huckleberry does, but we're only going to let him out during the day, while we're out with him.

If Huckleberry doesn't come back, this will be 3 cats in 7 years. This is the worst scenario, but we've been through this two times. It doesn't make it any easier, but I know that time heals. 

Thank you everyone for letting me get this off my chest. I can't talk about this anyone without crying. It's easier to write about him. 
3_cats_mom

Reply with quote  #10 
Sorry about Huckleberry's situation. Actually I have been through this twice myself with two of my cats years ago in two different occasions. One never came back and the other one came back 2 days later. I think the other one came back because of the technique that I learned from a cat behaviour book. We all know that cats are very territorial by nature. If they are chased out of their territory, they might not come back because there is no familiar scent marks outside of their territory. And cat's sense of direction doesn't work like human's, nor dog's. They don't really recognise any direction, rather it works like a magnet. The closer they are to home, the more their 'home' attracts them. I don't know if that makes sense. Anyhow, I am sure he knows how to come home, because he has been living there for years. So there are only two possibilities; 1st ( I am sure you know, and I don't need to mention), 2nd he is scared to come back cuz there is no scent marks where he is now. In the 2nd scenario, you can try to search for him in the wood during 12am to 5 am. Even go beyond his normal territory and call his name out loud. Cats are nocturnal animals, they tend to venture far at night and are braver during these hours. Even if he is scared hiding during the day, he might respond to your call at night. That's how my cat came back when I called his name out loud at 5 am. 

My prayers are with you. 

huckleberry1918

Reply with quote  #11 
Thank you 3_cats_mom. Unfortunately, I have no idea which direction he is in and how far his normal distance is. I'll suggest this to my wife though. Thanks for your support.
huckleberry1918

Reply with quote  #12 
There is still no sign of Huckleberry. We miss him so much. I wish I could do something for him. I can't check the woods at night. There are 13 houses in our neighborhood and I have to pass people's properties to get them. They've given me permission to look but there are so many different wooded areas separated by farms, and there's so much area to cover. There are no trails or paths in the woods and they are mostly covered with brush. I've walked through as much as I could during the day time and if he was close by he would have heard me. I've tried to look on the ground but there is so much area I can't see. This is his 4th day missing now. I can accept it if he doesn't come back, but I can't get it out of my mind what could have happened to him. If he got attacked by a coyote, I hope didn't suffer too long. I really wish I could get those thoughts out of my mind. It does no good. I'm trying to keep hope and I'm trying to focus on the positive memories about Huckleberry, but it's tough. 

I'm not sure if I mentioned this, but after Huckleberry went missing, our neighbor told us his cat has been missing for two weeks. They didn't let the cat in the house and he stayed around their property most of the time. He was really old and sick and our neighbors think that he might have went off to die. They also just had a child so I don't blame them for not telling us.

This morning I went in the yard with our other cat Banjo. He wanted to go out. I sat out there with him for about an hour. Banjo has always been really scared when he goes outside, and we don't think he leaves our property. We're trying to convert him to an indoor cat and just let him go out when we;re out there. 

I'm going to get through this, but it's tough. If Huckleberry is dead, I wish we could at least get him back so we can bury him. We've had two other cats pass away and we have their ashes and it makes us feel like they're always with us. I wish there was a way we could have this with Huckleberry.
BlairS

Reply with quote  #13 
I'm very sorry to hear of your situation huckleberry1918.  I went through a similar situation decades ago, and the not knowing is indeed torture.  You are in our thoughts and we are hoping for the best.

Blair
huckleberry1918

Reply with quote  #14 

Thank you Blair. I want to honor Huckleberry by making a positive change in my life. This is a horrible and terrible situation. I only have positive thoughts about Huckleberry. He is such a great cat and doesn't deseve this.
huckleberry1918

Reply with quote  #15 
When we got Huckleberry back in October 2013, he was 4 months old. For 9 months we kept him inside and he was really happy. We lived in the suburbs of Richmond, VA, at the time. When we let Huckleberry outside for the first time, in the summer of 2014, he just kept running back and forth and was panting alot. He was so happy being outside. His older brother Pedro, kept an eye on him and made sure he was safe. In 2015, we move to North Carolina and we kept Huckleberry and Pedro inside for a couple of months. At this time, Pedro's health was starting to fail but we let them both outside. They stuck together but and Huckleberry came into his prime and looked out for Pedro. Pedro passed away in 2017 and we got Banjo a couple of months later. We have a screened in porch and Banjo loves to stay inside it. Unfortunately, we started letting Banjo outside too. I keep thinking if we had never let our babies outside, Huckleberry would be alright now. I feel like they were happy enough to be indoor cats and we forced it on them to go outside. I keep praying that Huckleberry will come back.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.