patent123
I've posted on here before about my senior cat...the reason I first started coming here though was because I lost my dog.  Since probably about November my cat has just not been his normal self.  I can sense a change in him and I know deep down hes aging.

I recently took him to the vet to have many of your suggestions looked at.  After getting a full check up and various test and exams done I was told a medical issue wasn't causing his problems.  Problems being lack of appetite (although this past month that had improved big time and he was even gaining weight), random fits of walking around in a daze howling, and going outside the litter box.  After talking with my vet he thinks my cats mind is just going because of his age.  He sent me home with some suggestions to better accommodate my old man in our house and told me to come back if I have any other questions.  

I'm having a hard time accepting this as our diagnosis...not because I feel my Vet is incompetent I trust him 100% and have gone to him for years.  Its just in the past the vet team has always been able to pull my cat out of all his medical situations...they even helped bring him back from a HORRIBLE state of emaciation (I adopted him from the shelter I work at) Now I am left with coming to terms that my amazing cat is going down hill.  He hasn't eaten a thing since Friday night.  All he wants to do is sleep and even meows behind his kitty gate until I pick him up and carry him to my bed.  

Since he isn't eating well again I plan to visit our vet today for some special food that usually gets his attention...but my question still remains...

How do I know he is still happily living vs. being miserable?  I love my cat more than any words can describe and I will gladly do anything to help him stay around longer but will I know when its time? I've never had to deal with a very old animal before and all the things that come with having one.  I am now left wondering if he is still comfortable or should I be preparing myself to say good bye. 
Quote 0 0
animal_qwackers
Hello patent123. I read your post with great interest as there are some similarities to what I am currently experiencing with one of my cats. You did not say how old your cat is.

My cat, Bonnie, who I took on as a 14 year old senior when neighbours who were moving no longer wanted her because of her age, has started refusing certain foods that once she loved. She is 16 now, and has lost so much weight and muscle mass. I lost my beautiful 14 year old cat Gonzo just under 7 months ago from cancer, and less than 10 weeks later had to say farewell to my beloved 11 year old German Shepherd, Solly and cannot believe I am in this situation again. Bonnie is showing the same signs as Gonzo, and I believe it is time to take her to the vet and see where the problem lies. She is still drinking, still going out for a wander, and still using the litter box, but her eating habits have deteriorated rapidly. 

My Bonnie doesn't look uncomfortable although I know that animals are crafty when it comes to disguising their discomfort. Cats will also purr when they are in pain or distress, so purring is not a sign that they are doing fine. I can only suggest (not knowing how old your baby is) that if the vet has said he does not have a specific medical condition causing his problems, then it is simply a matter of old age. Maybe you should seek a second opinion, as you don't want your boy to be suffering in any way. 

I sincerely hope that you sort out the issues with him, as I wish the same for my little Bonnie. I have dealt with aged cats before and from my own experience I feel sure that my little girl is failing. I will know more when I have made a trip to the vet, but gut instinct tells me I will soon be preparing myself to say goodbye to another pet in the not too distant future, the third in a few months. 

Please let me know how things go with your lovely cat. My thoughts are with you and him. Take care.

Wendy

“Death ends a life, not a relationship.” – Jack Lemmon

Solly, Gonzo, Daisy-Mae, Ebony, Jerry, Tigger, Bonnie, Suzy, Cleo, Spike, Sooty, and Tibby – dazzling lights that will never fade. Adored, cherished, I was privileged to know you all. Until we meet again, my beautiful babies. Bowls of love and cuddles, your ever-loving, devoted Mummy xxxxxxxxxx

Quote 0 0
patent123
Thank you,  I have no idea how old my cat is.  When he first came into the stray animal shelter our vet suspected he was in his late teens.  After I took him home and worked closely with my vet he became healthier and looked younger.  My vet is estimating he is in his mid teens right now.  However, that is just a guess considering I don't know anything about his background.  Our situations do sound similar.  My cats issues originally started with a lack of appetite.  They continue to progress to the liter box issues and loud howling.  Its hard watching him walk around like hes lost.  Its also hard because we have a young puppy in our home now and I think he is just causing added stress to our old man...our cats name is Cricket but as he got older he has earned the nick name Papa kitty from my daughter. 

I am sorry you have lost 2 amazing animal companions so close together.  I think senior pets give us a lot of love and in my opinion are the perfect and most enjoyable age group.  Its sad you have lost 2 in such a close time frame but I am sure they reunited with each other on the other side. I hope your Bonnie perks up soon.  If it helps any I have had luck in the past with this A/D critical care soft cat food.  Its usually only sold in vet offices.  It usually helps perk my little guy up and I am hoping it will do the trick again after I go get some today.  Perhaps you can try a can and see if it helps.  
Quote 0 0
animal_qwackers
Thank you patent123 for your well wishes for my little bon bon. I have an appointment for her tomorrow with the vet. As it happens, she has eaten some food today, although her appetite isn't what it was. I believe that she may be losing her sight, as well as something else lurking internally. 

How is your little fella today, and how are you today? I am going to wait and see what the vet says tomorrow and then take things from there. My Bonnie is currently asleep in her bed. She has had some tuna, and a quarter of a pouch of wet food. She's also eaten some of her favourite treats. I will try her with something else in an hour or so and keep you posted on her progress. Please do the same with your lovely little boy.

Take care.

Wendy

“Death ends a life, not a relationship.” – Jack Lemmon

Solly, Gonzo, Daisy-Mae, Ebony, Jerry, Tigger, Bonnie, Suzy, Cleo, Spike, Sooty, and Tibby – dazzling lights that will never fade. Adored, cherished, I was privileged to know you all. Until we meet again, my beautiful babies. Bowls of love and cuddles, your ever-loving, devoted Mummy xxxxxxxxxx

Quote 0 0
patent123
Good luck at your vet visit...

I went and got some special food from the vet during my break yesterday.  He ate a tablespoon at lunch.  I was told that since that calories are so high if all he eats is a tablespoon a day that will be enough.  I tried to feed him again at night but he wasn't interested.

This morning he ate a little bit more of his special food but refused to eat his IAMS which he normally loves. I was also told to monitor him for dehydration as well.  I just hope he bounces back soon although these episodes of bad health are becoming more frequent which is saddening.

Last night while doing laundry I saw him go over to his box to use the restroom.  He quietly meowed to himself but I paid close attention.  After a while of acting like he might go he just sat down in his box looking lost.  He eventually got out and never ended up going. Has anything like this ever happened to your cats?
Quote 0 0