ljoy537
I have a boxer named Jackson who is 5 years old.   He has not eaten more than 4/5 cups of food since my Greyhound Fly passed last Thursday.  We are not making a big deal about him not eating - but I'm starting to get concerned.  

Have any of you gone through this with your dog(s)?  

Fly and Jack were best buddies.  Jack used to go and lay with Fly on Fly's bed and lick his face. They did everything together - ate together, went outside together, napped together, got excited together when daddy came home - the garage door told them he was home!  Now all Jack does is lay around.  I don't see him getting excited about anything...even his daddy coming home.  Jack is a big love bug, and I really feel he is sad that his "bro" is not with him any more.

When Jack goes to his food dish - he looks over a few times to where Fly's dish used to be (Across the room from him).

I've been taking Jack for several walks a day.  I offer him his food in the morning and at night.  I even have maintained "pill"/treat time.  My Fly had seizures and took meds every night.  We play with him.

Any suggestions/thoughts would be appreciated.  

Laurie

Quote 0 0
heartsick
When one of our babies leaves us his brother/sister left behind gets frightened and confused and may grieve heavily. Your sweet Jackson has to get food and water into him. You can try and make some chicken broth and mix it with boiled white rice and a little boiled white meat chicken breast. You can also make ice cubes from the chicken broth and he may lick at that. I would let him curl up with you on the bed and if you need to feed him by hand for a little bit go ahead and do it. Bunnies bond for life. I lost my little tiny Arthur 13 weeks ago. His mate Jessica did not eat or drink and bunnies are very fragile. I brought her on my bed and cuddled her so she would have the affection she was used to and I fed her by hand. It only took her about 3 days to begin to bounce back and eat. Now she is in her hutch and eating normally. When my Bear died his little brothers Jasper  and my Jackson also did not want to eat. The ran around sniffing everything looking for Bear. I gave them lots of extra attention - one on one - and they did begin to eat and are fine. Though to this day Jasper looks for anything with Bear's scent still on it. He would rather have one of Bear's old toys without the squeaker than a new one with a squeaker.

Our babies grieve like we do. They need a lot of extra love and assurance that we aren't going to leave them. They get scared. Please let me know how Jackson is doing. I have other ideas and tricks to get him to eat. I just don't want him to dehydrate. I know how difficult this is - truly I do.

My Love to You.

Susan(heartsick)
Quote 0 0
ljoy537
thank you so much for your response susan.  Your response was extremely sweet and helpful.  I appreciate you and your response.  :)

Tonight, when daddy came home (meaning the garage door opened) I got excited and got jack to go see daddy.  Jack got excited and wagged his butt (he really doesn't have much of a tail) and went to greet his daddy.  He also ate 3 cups of food and drank water.  We even had some play time tonight.....with his favorite toy...a face cloth!!!  I got kisses today.  Jack is very kissy and hasn't given any since fly left.   He hasn't played since fly left either.  

I know that one evening of Jack being ok...doesn't mean that he is ok.  If he doesn't eat tomorrow I will try your suggestions. Thank you again for providing me some guidance. I will call the vet if he becomes too listless.

Laurie

Quote 0 0
Mistysmama
It sounds like you are doing the right things for Jack.
When my Misty died, her lifelong friend and male partner grieved very deeply. He was not young, and I was concerned for him. He is not my dog. He lives with a neighbour at a nearby farm. He used to visit us almost every day, so after Misty passed, I gently supported him through his grieving by visiting every day -come rain or shine, even when I could hardly walk and felt like a zombie. I did what you're doing -keeping things loving, supportive, and as normal as possible. We BOTH knew we missed a loved one deeply.
His human family thought he didn't have long to live, and had suddenly developed dementia. But I knew it was his grieving. I didn't push him, wasn't impatient for him to recover, or anything. I just kept showing him I love him and haven't forgotten him, and that some things have not changed.
It took him about a month to start to come out of his serious funk.
Now, 17 months later, he is not exactly the same as he used to be when Misty was with us (part of that IS his age as he must be about 15 now) -but he's doing great for an old dog! He is not grieving any more.
Who knows what dreams he has....? Maybe Misty visits him in his dreams?
Hold the love like a little light. It is all you have, or will ever have, to find your way home.

Misty's Blog..a Dogfight with Cancer http://www.mistysblog69.blogspot.co.uk

Misty's life after death: http://www.dog2spirit.com
Quote 0 0
brknhrtd
My sweet pup is grieving too.  It's been 3 weeks and I think today was a downer for him.  I had gone online and got some ideas.  The walks are great, keep it up.  Also said to take him for car rides.  Play games we used to.  Mine is 5 too.  It said to take this as a training opportunity.  You be the boss.  The pack has been upset.  He may not be sure of his place.  Make sure when he is going out, make him stay in the door til you give the command.  Same thing going in.  My son brought his dog over the last couple of days.  I think mine is sad cause she is gone now too.  He doesn't realize that one will come back.  I am so sorry your pup is going through this too.  You will figure it out and hopefully heal all your hearts. Take care.
Quote 0 0
heartsick
Laurie what you did is absolutely perfect. Jackson will pick up on  your mood and voice so if you use your high pitched play voice he will respond as he did tonight. Just keep it up and he will be fine.
It sounds like you did a great job with him  tonight. I couldn't get Jasper all excited because he was such a little puppy ( 11 months old) that if I got him all excited he would have run puppy circles through the house wrecking things and I did not have the energy for that. During the day in the back yard he ran and we played with Jackson and Emma and Bella and Sammy and Molly and I let them tire each other out. So when they came inside I could feed them. They get fed in their crates as everyone gets a different amount and then they are on lockdown for an hour to prevent bloat. When they are tired they fall asleep.
I think you did a great job with Jackson. He will be all right because his Mommy and Daddy love him so much. 

Always,

Susan

[image]

Dog Mommy.jpg 

Quote 0 0
in_loving_memory_of_Jazzy
I read this with great interest as our beloved Jazzy passed away just 6 days ago and our lil Pomeranian, Teddy, hasn't been himself either. :(. We used to walk slowly around the property every 1.5 - 2 hours because Jazzy's arthritis hit suddenly and hard, and I wanted to prevent her muscles from atrophy and prevent further pain. Teddy would just romp along beside us enjoying the outdoor walks, so now I make sure to take him for his walk every 4-5 hours or whenever he asks me. He does lay around looking forlorn though, and the very few times he has gone into their back-room bed area he has come skidding out like he's been spooked. I'm giving him extra cuddles and assurance but he is in a funk as he doesn't understand why we went flying out of the house with dear Jazzie on her bed at 2:45 am almost a week ago, and why Jazzy didn't come back. Jazzy had gone into sudden and severe convulsions and Teddy just stayed to the side trying to figure out what was wrong with his best buddy. In the 8 years of his life dear Jazzy has always been by his side, inseparable; she was the 'muscle' to his little-dog barking - his back up. Now he hardly makes a peep like he's really afraid or something. Everyone in our home is suffering from our loss, and our little Pom is no exception. Luckily, he's always had a great appetite but he just seems depressed.. like the rest of us, I guess. Best of luck with your lil one. <3
Quote 0 0
sadieandsugar
I am so sorry for your loss, my 2 poms were sisters for 8 years so they enjoyed each others company everyday for 8 years, when I lost my SWEET SADIE GIRL, my little Sugar was lost too, just like yours is right now, I am so sorry its so hard going through this I am still hurting with pain and I miss my sweet little SADIE GIRLsoooooo much everyday of my life, until I see her again. my little sugar is doing good now, I am so glad I still have sadies sister with me, if I were to lose them both I would be defistated. Sugar is keeping me lots of company now that SWEET SADIE is gone from my life!!!!!  you take care and godbless  sadiesmommy
my sweet sadie girl she was a pomeranian and she was the sweetest little girl ever, she loved every one and she loved life in general she was my child because my husband and I could never have kids of our own, so she was definately our daughter, she was thebest furkid ever in my life we were soul mates from the beginning , we adopted her when she was only 8 weeks old, she was so cute and then she turned out to be the most beautiful pomeranian ever I have ever seen in my life. she was with us for 8 wonderful years but I didnt think that was long enough she was so young when we had to put her to sleep, she had diabetes foe a few years and then her kidneys just started shutting down it was so sad it killed us when we had to say goodbye to sadie!!!!!!!
Quote 0 0