Zoeybell

Words can’t express what our 10 year old basset Nelly Belle meant to our family the last 10 years. When we found out on May 18th that our 11 year-old lab mix Zoey had cancer, it broke our hearts. I know they are older and I knew the day would come but I wasn’t ready. 
  A week after our lab was diagnosed we took in our basset Nelly to have a lump checked out. They kept her for surgery to remove the mass. The surgery was too much for my Nelly and she passed away this past Sunday.  The hard part about this is Nelly was showing no symptoms of being sick. We just knew she had developed a large tumor. I know it was only a matter of time (it was cancer) but if I had to do it over again I would not have put her through the surgery. We were still processing Zoey’s diagnosis and trying to make her last months special. I never would have thought that less than two weeks later our Nelly would be gone.  These dogs are such an integral part of our family and everyday lives, I just can’t imagine coming home and not seeing them run to the door with their tails wagging and giving me kisses.  These two knuckle heads sleep in the bed with us, eat off a fork, and listen to our problems. Nelly was such a sweet and loving dog. We always said she had human eyes. She had these big brown eyes that saw right to your soul and could melt your heart. As I am sitting here in mourning of my sweet Nelly, I am still processing Zoey’s diagnosis. We have cried more tears than I can count. I know that Zoey misses her sister. She seems restless, pacing around and looking in all the places our sweet Nell used to lay. They are actually half sisters, same mother from a different liter a year later.  As I sit here and cry tears for Nelly, I realize that my sweet Zoey has limited time. How can I lose them both so close together? Is this really happening? My heart aches. These aren’t just dogs to us. They are family.  They are my happy place, my counselors, my best friends.

Missy chastain
Quote 0 0
winstonsmom12
Zoeybell what beautiful babies both are.  I am so very sorry for the loss of NellyBelle.  I lost my Winston 3/2/16 I still grieve heavily.  Today would have been his 13th birthday.  All I can suggest is you show your Zoey tons of love and kisses.  Keep her close.  None of us are ever prepared for this tradgedy, even though we all know it is coming.  I certainly wasn't.  I send you hugs and blessings.   Sue
Susan
Quote 0 0
Steve_F
Such beautiful babies. I'm so sorry you are going through this situation. My deepest condolences on the loss of Nelly Belle. It will be one week tomorrow that my Benny left me. I know the grief of losing Nelly Belle is overwhelming, but for right now giving Zoey all of your love and attention may be the best thing for you and your family. Keep her as happy and pain free as you can as I did for my Benny. Talk to her and let her know she is loved and that her sister is here in spirit watching all of you and waiting for her when it is her time.  I've come to find this forum is a place of solace as I read everyone's stories and share in their grief. I'm keeping you and your babies in my mind and wishing you comfort during this sad time.
BennysDad

Quote 0 0
Adeubel
I am so sorry for your loss. I had to put my Shepard down today. It is so very hard. They are part of the family and will be missed. I am having a difficult day but I know time heals. But they will always be a part of us.
Anna deubel
Quote 0 0
JJT
Nice pictures of your fur babies and sorry for your loss, caring for sick animals is tough as we found our Maximus had a lump 7 months ago and we got it removed though the cancer returned the following month in multiple places. Max lived on for another 6 months and always was standing waiting at the front door for any of the family members to return home.
Zoey will want to always be there for you as you will always be there for her, enjoy every minute you have with her and give her a cuddle from me.
John
Quote 0 0
camunki
hi Zoeybell....I am so sorry for the loss of your Nelly Belle...but please don't mourn your Zoey just yet. I lost 2 dogs from cancer last year, they both had Mast Cell Tumors years ago...and with any cancer, you automatically think of a "death sentence".........well my dog Daizy lived a few years longer even after having "dirty margins"....she lived thru the cancer. My other dog Munki had mast cell tumors but she had a very high index of a 6 (the higher the number the worse off for living life) and a grade 2 to 3 for the tumor.......and Munki lived 4 1/2 extra years of life with this cancer (yes the cancer tumor was removed) but with her stats of a 2 to 3 grade and a 6 for her index level, i would never think that she would have lived that long. So yes, I lost 2 dogs last year.....11 months apart, my Daizy was 9 y/o and Munki was one month shy of her 14th birthday. See, what I am trying to say is cancer is not a death sentence. I even know friends who have had dogs...who the vet said, your dog will only live a few weeks or months.......and that dog lived for 12 longer months!!! see, try to give your Zoey so much love and maybe even have her checked out by an oncologist and she may have more life that what the vets are saying.

I know this doesn't take away for the loss of your Nelly, for now show Zoey so much love and I am hoping that too, Zoey is around longer than what the vets may think.

Cam

Quote 0 0
elliemeewiz
I'm so sorry for your loss of Nelly and I hope that Zoey will live a long time with the cancer. Wiz did live a long time with his although no one thought it was cancer at first and for a long time after because they kept saying he would have been gone by that point if it were. We are never ready and just wish they could stay forever. Hugs to you <3
My beloved sweet Tess August 1999 - February 21 2001
My beloved loyal Byron March 1998 - April 28 2008
My sweet beloved girlie Angelina April 2001- September 2012
Me & my sweet beloved Wizberry forever 1998- April 21, 2016
My sweet beloved Snow Goddess Sybil girlie April 2001- May 11,2018
Quote 0 0
Zoeybell
Thank you all for your sweet comments. It really does help to hear your advice and your experiences. It's hard for non pet owners to understand what we are going through. I've decided to put my mourning for Nelly on hold and focus on cherishing my time with Zoey and making everyday special. She has lymphoma and I can already tell they are getting larger around her neck. I'm a teacher so I have the summer off and can spend special time with her. Today we went riding through the country and visited my grandmother. She loves these babies so much. Then we went to basken robbins and she ate ice cream. Tonight we will do our usual walk around the neighborhood. She is still with me and it's not fair to mourn the living. So each day we will head out for a different adventure. I've stopped giving her dog food and now cook her special meals like boiled chicken with vegetables. I found some great homemade dog recipes and she absolutely loves it! I'll have plenty of time to mourn them later, so right now I am going to drive Zoey crazy with attention and cuddles lol
Thank you!

Missy chastain
Quote 0 0
Eddiesmom
What a great attitude!  I wrote a long post last night but it didn't post?!  Anyway the jest of it is I lost two dogs in March, I have lots of regrets so enjoy the time you have with Zoey so while of course you will grieve when she is gone at least you won't have those nasty regrets.  I can see you are doing that.  Also, doctors/vets are often time when they give you a time frame.  I had a boyfriends father given 6 months to live, that was 20 years ago. Have fun with Zoey!!
Sue E
Quote 0 0
jonandkathy
So sorry to hear about your loss and knowing what is coming with Zoey. We lost both of our boys on 12/29/15. They were litter mates, and at 12 were both failing in different ways. We knew that neither would handle the loss of the other, and not wanting to put them through that, we made the decision that they would cross the bridge together. Hardest thing I've ever done. My head knows it was right, my heart still breaks.

Jon
Blessed to have friends like
Ginger
Bo
Bud
Clay
Luke
Quote 0 0