medapatt
My sweet beautiful five-year-old dachshund named Hunley passed away today at noon. He went down in his back two weeks ago but with acupuncture and steroids he gained the use of his legs and even though he was on strict crate rest I had tremendous hope he would recover.

However I took him back to the vet Monday morning with severe vomiting and they give him fluids and make sure he was OK. They tested his blood and discovered he had severe pancreatitis. Probably from the steroids. Pancreatitis is usually curable.

They called me this morning at 9:30 saying he was not doing well. I took off to the vet and they told me he had crashed once already but they kept him alive so I can get there. His sugars bottomed out and his temperature dropped and I had to make the heart Breaking decision to let him go and end his pain. We buried him in my folks yard where he so loved to hunt squirrels.

I've had dogs my whole life but no death has affected me like losing Hunley. I physically hurt because I miss him so much. And I honestly don't know how I'm going to move past this.
Melody
Quote 0 0
William
Hi
I am so sorry for your loss. Hunley looks so much like my William but he was a long haired daschund.
William was 14. Had never had any health issues and we always worried about that back causing problems. On May 3 he fell down the stairs I thought omg this is it. We did pain meds as his hind leg and front leg were definitely effected. Lab work showed there were other things going on also. We made the decision to let him go on May 20. He was having to be carried in and out. Couldn't take his daily walk. Slept more than usual.

I'm so sorry you lost your baby. But, being that daschund are so fabulous I bet you have a lot of memories to hang on to.
I would like to share some pictures of William with you.

My thoughts are with you
❤️💕🐾kim
Kim
Quote 0 0
medapatt
Thank you for your reply. Your baby was beautiful!!
We've had dachshunds our whole life. This is the second with back issues and both could walk again. This pancreatitis was a freak surprise and I wasn't ready to say goodbye after he was recovering so well from losing mobility. I don't understand. I sat in my recliner last night holding his big blanket that he used while on crate rest because it smells just like him. My best friend came over last night so I wasn't alone and all I did was cry. I don't know how to move past this.
Melody
Quote 0 0
William
Hi
It's so hard to move forward. I reached a three month marker a few days ago.
In some ways things get easier. But the beginning is very difficult. I slept with Williams blanket every night. I love the smell. I will never wash it. On difficult days I will pull it out and just smell it.
I talk to him everyday I look at pictures everyday. William was my world.
You just have to go day to day. It is not easy. But this formum is so supportive.

I have set up little areas of memorials with pictures in my home. I went around and found all his " buried in plain site" treats. I didn't throw them away I kept them.

Right now you are in survival mode. You have lots of what if questions as we all do. Of course the biggest question is how do we get through this. Our lives are changed forever. But we have beautiful memories. That's what I hold on to. No matter how painful in the beginning I looked at pictures all day and cried. Each photo has a memory and I would talk to William about that picture and how much that moment meant to me.

Take it minute by minute. Let your pain out.
❤️💕❤️💕🐾
Kim
Quote 0 0
medapatt
I feel physical pain in my heart. I haven't eaten a bite because it makes me nauseous to think of eating. I can't go to work the rest of this week. I don't understand how I will ever get through this. I've had many dogs pass away in my lifetime I've always had dogs, but this little Hunley was my soulmate and I feel gutted and borderline desperate for him. I am craving to add another puppy to our family just to fill the void. It Just hurts so much.

I'm 45 and live with my 13 year old son. My daughter is in her third year of college away and my oldest son lives on his own. Hunley has been with me through a long time relationship and break up over the past five years. I literally feel lost without him in my house
Melody
Quote 0 0
William
I totally understand everything you are saying. I lost 6 pounds in two weeks. I criedd to the point of nausea and gagging.
It lasted a few weeks.
William helped me through family illness and losses of family members. During difficult times I had his unconditional love and non judgement. That's what makes this so hard. There is no other love like this.
I have anxiety and have had panic attacks.
You do feel like it will never ever go away. But at some point there is an adjustment made to the new life we have to live without our babies.
Read about grief there are some great articles. If you need to, go to a berievement counselor. I met with two pet berievement counselors they were helpful. But nothing takes the pain away.
I am married and my girls are grown and out of the house. I do have a granddaughter who helps keep me busy. But, when I curl up in bed at night William is missed so much.

There is a chat room here that is very helpful. Also continue to write on the forum.
Please keep reaching out. Cry and talk that's the best things we can do to " unload " our pain
💕🐾❤️
Kim
Quote 0 0
medapatt
Ralph I'm sorry for your loss as well!!

It has been unusually cool and no humidity here in North Carolina and I've been sitting out in my swing under the carport where Hunley used to love to be. I feel like I need to be where he loved to be to process all of this. It is still so unreal and I can't grasp the fact that he is gone. He was recovering so well on crate rest and was walking just fine with no pain when the pancreatitis hit him. And he went downhill in 48 hours and I can't wrap my head around it. This is literally killing me I can't function 😥
Melody
Quote 0 0
Dalidog
So sorry about Hunley.....your story brought tears to my eyes.  I will never say goodbye to my Girl even though it has been almost 3 years.  When they leave so suddenly you don't have time to prepare.  My pain is with you....there are no words.  Your Hunley is beautiful and I know will be in your heart forever

Hugs to you and Hunley from me and Dali

Dali, as much a daughter as any human...  pure love
Until we meet again

http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/DALI003/Resident.htm

Quote 0 0
jeffreyburcham
I am so sorry that your beautiful baby has passed. I too am grieving the loss of my sweet puppy girl Satin Marie. She had to leave me June 1, 2017 after an almost 2 year battle with mast cell tumors. She was a trooper and she never gave up but in I knew she was suffering. It all came so quickly even though I knew it was time. I cry pretty much every day and I will never get over her. I too have had other fur babies but this time is so much harder and so much different. My heart goes out to you and everyone here. If it were not for this place and the grief counselor I see, I don't know how I would handle this loss. Satin, like your Hunley, was not just a dog, at least not to me. Satin was my Angel puppy girl and I am fortunate to have had her in my life for 11 years of her 11 years and 3 months. One more day would not have been enough but then again, neither would a hundred years.
Quote 0 0
medapatt
I'm so sorry so many others are going through the same thing. I just feel like I'm losing it. The grief is unbearable and I can't make it an entire hour without breaking down. He was taken way too young and just when he was starting to recover. It was totally unexpected and I wasn't ready. I was supposed to have eight or 10 more years with him. This dog was truly my soulmate. I have a large blanket that I transported him back-and-forth to the vet several times and I don't think I will ever wash it. It smells just like him and I sleep with at night and sit with it during the day.

I still have the skirt I was wearing when he passed. Unfortunately he messed on it when he died. I can't bring myself to washing the skirt. Is that gross or what ????
Melody
Quote 0 0
LisaAndy
Hi, I hear ya. My Andy was my soulmate too. No one seems to understand this relationship with a dog. its very special and Im sorry for your loss.
Quote 0 0
LuckyLouWho23
I'm so sorry for your loss. It's so hard to accept a loss when we can't understand why it had to happen. Our sweet boy Popcorn died recently. My daughter and I went on vacation, and we expected her dad to take care of him. Just before we were about to come back we found out that he put Popcorn to sleep. We are still devastated over losing him. I cry all the time. It has helped me to be able to go on here anytime I want to express my feelings. I only wish that I could get my daughter to talk about how she's feeling. Once again I am so sorry for your loss. I wish that I could say more to help you.
Quote 0 0
medapatt
It's sad that so many people have to experience this. But I guess it is a part of life and having a dog we are promised heart break at one point or the other I guess we just don't expected to be at such a young age. I'm hoping this forum and the two groups I'm a member of on Facebook will help lessen the pain. I've had dogs die of old age many times but I can tell you they weren't near as painful as losing Hunley at such a young age so unexpectedly. I still can't accept it 😥😢
Melody
Quote 0 0
Rosanne777
Losing our precious pets is 
really not something that
we can easily recover
from.

Like I lost my precious Cat
Maya this past Feb.and I
still miss her.

I still wish that she was
here with me.

So,you aren't alone in
your grief for we are
here for you.

Quote 0 0
William
medapatt wrote:
I'm so sorry so many others are going through the same thing. I just feel like I'm losing it. The grief is unbearable and I can't make it an entire hour without breaking down. He was taken way too young and just when he was starting to recover. It was totally unexpected and I wasn't ready. I was supposed to have eight or 10 more years with him. This dog was truly my soulmate. I have a large blanket that I transported him back-and-forth to the vet several times and I don't think I will ever wash it. It smells just like him and I sleep with at night and sit with it during the day.

I still have the skirt I was wearing when he passed. Unfortunately he messed on it when he died. I can't bring myself to washing the skirt. Is that gross or what ????
Kim
Quote 0 0