jnogueira95

My beautiful girl Abby turned 5 on New Years eve and was diagnosed with stage 4 Lymphoma 2 days later.  I started her on Prednisone and Tramadol to keep her comfortable and just over the past few days, Ive had to double her dose at night since she seems very uncomfortable.  I dont want to prolong the inevitable for my own selfish reasons but I also dont want to give up on her so soon. People keep telling me "you'll know when its time"  But I dont know if I will. I brought her in twice during the week because she was panting and the vet ruled out cancer in the lungs. I thought for sure she would have been put down that night. So heartbroken and so confused. How will you really know when it's time? Should I just end her misery sooner rather than later?

- Jodi -  Abby's mom

Quote 0 0
shihtzu01
Jodi, I had to put my 11 year old Shih Tzu to sleep today. OH GOD how I hurt tonight. It's almost 2AM and I can't sleep because I miss my Buddy so much. I think you WILL know when it's time. When they are suffering and there's no hope left, you will do it - FOR YOUR FURBABY'S SAKE. Buddy had congestive heart failure and the meds worked for about a year, but his heart was so large it wasn't working anymore. He couldn't breathe and sat up all night. I couldn't see my best friend in all the world suffer anymore. The vet told me it was time and I already knew it was. I sent him to the Rainbow Bridge knowing I did the only thing I could do for the most precious thing in my life. How do I go on without him, I have no idea. Take it one hour, one day at a time and pray to God to get you through. God bless you and I know you will do the right and only thing for your precious furbaby.
Margaret
Quote 0 0
TobysMom

I believe it's not time. You never really will be 100% sure but they will let you know when they can't fight any longer. My baby Toby went to sleep yesterday and I'm falling apart and still wonder if it was the right thing to do but he couldn't move and was crying so that's why I made the decision. He did have cancer in his mouth and within a week lost 2 pounds....cancer is so sad because it's so fast.

Whatever you decide please cherish every day with you pup because the grieveing part is the worst and ou want happy memories to look back on. Also make sure there's nothing you'll regret...atleast try. A part of me regrets putting my baby down...I wonder if I maybe held him longer he would of been okay and I question if I rushed into it. I'd say keep the days going for right now..

Toby RIP 1/12/12- you are furever in my heart and I can't wait to see you again.
Quote 0 0
sweetiesmom09
Dear Jodi -
You will know when it's time - I can't tell you how but you do.  My Sweetie was dx'd with spinal osteosarcoma on 12/28 because she was limping.  For some reason the spinal cancer was causing her to limp on her left hind leg.  The dx was very shocking b/c the day we went for the tests, we went with a tentative dx of pinched nerve.  When were given the terrible news, the vet told me to be prepared, she would decline very quickly - days or weeks he said - and that <<I>> would have to be the one to make the decision when to PTS.  I coulldn't even think or see straight - just shocked, stunned.  Over the next several weeks, her pain got worse and worse.  We kept adding pain meds, increasing pain meds, adding more pain meds, but we couldn't stay ahead of the pain.  Thursday (1/12) I called and scheduled for the vet to come to do it Friday morning.  Then she seemed to rally on Thursday night - went for her full walk, seemed fine.  I thought I was doing it too soon.  I canceled the appointment.  Friday morning, she was worse than ever, couldn't get up to go out at all, even to relieve herself.  (Yet in other ways, she was still good, still eating and drinking, still being affectionate and interactive with me.)  I called back the vet - he now couldn't come till Monday, so I rescheduled.  As the day wore on into Saturday, she still couldn't get up.  For that entire time period, she didn't go to the bathroom and every time she tried to go in the yard, she would just flop down and cry in pain.  I knew it was time.  Took 4 people to get her into the car but we did it and yesterday I took her to the vet and now she is not in pain any more.  So you see, you will know, just as I finally did.  One thing I wish - I hadn't canceled Friday's appointment but anyway - I tell you this story only to help you see every person and animal's case is different but watch your Abby and you will know.  I am so sorry you have to go through this.  It is torture.  I can only say too come back and talk to the wonderful people on this board.  Go to the chat room where so many others have been through it.  It doesn't make the pain go away but it helps, if only just a little.  I wish you peace and strength.
Quote 0 0
sannathan
We did not know it was time.  No sign of pain either.  Our pet JRT "Jonji" was playing till his sudden death due to blood clot and hyperglycemia on Feb. 27, 2012.  Vet checks to include blood, urine and x-rays were done but this liver cancer was never detected.  The Vet xrayed just before his heart stopped and his liver was so large.  Our pain is unbearable. 
Quote 0 0
nicola
We knew it was time to have Lucy put to sleep.
As she couldn't eat and had no quality of life.
She didn't seem to get any sleep the day before.
Quote 0 0
LyndaAnne
We are going to loose our Gemma probably next week, spotted a lump Wednesday, took her to the vets Friday, to find she has aggressive mouth cancer, so we have brought her home till she tells us its her time.
Why is it never easy???  I dont let my eyes dribble in front of her, but I'm sure she knows. I really dont wont to let her go..............
L.Phillips
Quote 0 0
partickler

I lost my Golden Retriever, Russell, today to Squamous Cell Carcinoma (Skin Cancer) caused apparently by UV-rays... He was masking the pain and from appearance, he looked fine, but the vet said the cancer was advanced and there were tumours near his stomach. It was a wonder that he still had a voracious appetite despite the cancer! In a way it was a blessing that he still enjoyed life so late into the illness, but in a way it was hard because it felt like I was doing something so desperately wrong. He was so excited about the car ride to the vet and I feel almost frustrated that he was... But I knew that it's better to have him this way than to wait for the already proliferated tumours to affect him... 

Most of all, I miss his musky smell. I admit that I actually snipped off a bit of his fur and wrapped it up... I feel like discovering the science to bottling smells right now.

Miragekenn Canella Abbot (aka Russell). 13 April 2003 - 2 August 2012.
Quote 0 0
ShyAnn30
You will know, my pepper let me know, even 4 months later I still wonder if it was right, but then I think about how hard it was for him to breathe and I know that it was the right thing.
RIP my sweet Pepper, mommy loves you so much, and I miss you so much too!
Quote 0 0
sadieandsugar
You will know when the time is right, I had to put my SADIE girl to sleep on december 13 2010, she had diabetes and then her kidneys started shutting down, I knew she was ready to go when she would not eat any more, thats her way of telling me, she was in pain, and yes its was the hardest thing ive ever had to do in my life, but I helped her out and now she is no longer in pain, she is up in heaven waiting for me now and she lives in mu heart forever, and she is also watching over me, I know. my prayers are with you tonight, please write me when you feel up to it ok? IM Christine, sadiesmommy
my sweet sadie girl she was a pomeranian and she was the sweetest little girl ever, she loved every one and she loved life in general she was my child because my husband and I could never have kids of our own, so she was definately our daughter, she was thebest furkid ever in my life we were soul mates from the beginning , we adopted her when she was only 8 weeks old, she was so cute and then she turned out to be the most beautiful pomeranian ever I have ever seen in my life. she was with us for 8 wonderful years but I didnt think that was long enough she was so young when we had to put her to sleep, she had diabetes foe a few years and then her kidneys just started shutting down it was so sad it killed us when we had to say goodbye to sadie!!!!!!!
Quote 0 0
bluemoonlove
My beautiful girl went to sleep Saturday afternoon. We took her into the vet thinking she had an eye infection, and the vet showed us the tumor in her mouth. It must have grown overnight, and I was afraid that it would cause her more pain.
Unfortunately, cats mask symptoms well. She seemed tired that week, and I knew she was getting old enough that she would need a checkup. She could have used one sooner probably, but at 12, she seemed like a kitten. She was energetic and still had her appetite. But I also noticed she was less sociable. From my experience, our pets don't want to worry us. Earle had wonderful manners and did not think of herself as a cat but rather as my own. She wanted to be outside enjoying the weather.
When I took her to the vet, she wasn't curious and alert like usual. She wanted to sleep, and when I pet her she purred. I felt she was letting me know it was her time.
Oral cancer is a tricky thing. The tumor is aggressive and spreads quickly. It affects 3% of cats and is lethal in all but 10% of cases. Then it depends where it is. If it's the lower jaw, the odds are better. Early detection of the tonsil is ideal. Still, there are conditions that stack up to improve your pets' odds. If you catch it early, if it's an operable location, if you remove it and pursue chemotherapy, and even then, it's only a 50/50 chance. Depending on the bloodwork, your pet might not be able to withstand the treatment. 
My cat's tumor was the upper jaw, and it quickly ballooned. Even if I had taken her earlier, they might not have seen it. She had healthy teeth. Best case scenario, she would still have needed two doses of chemo daily for a week plus newly developed medication. Again, only a 50:50 chance and survival time exceeding a year is rare.
I gave it so much thought. The vet gave me the news, and I was in denial. "Can you do a biopsy and tell me if it's malignant?" She said by the size and rapid growth it definitely was but think about what I wanted to do. She left me alone, and I was researching everything on squamous cell carcinoma of the mouth I could find. I knew the vet was being truthful and professional. So I decided not to put my baby through any unnecessary discomfort. Since we were already there and I would only stress her with my grief, I agreed to put her down. It was quick and painless, and she looked at me the whole time. But I miss her unbearably. I'm still accepting she's gone forever.
Oh, honey count those raindrops!
Quote 0 0
licdfjk
It was a wonder that he still had a voracious appetite despite the cancer! In a way it was a blessing that he still enjoyed life so late into the illness, but in a way it was hard because it felt like I was doing something so desperately wrong.

----------------------------------
WoW gold|Diablo 3 Gold

Quote 0 0
Oriane
jnogueira95 wrote:

My beautiful girl Abby turned 5 on New Years eve and was diagnosed with stage 4 Lymphoma 2 days later.  I started her on Prednisone and Tramadol to keep her comfortable and just over the past few days, Ive had to double her dose at night since she seems very uncomfortable.  I dont want to prolong the inevitable for my own selfish reasons but I also dont want to give up on her so soon. People keep telling me "you'll know when its time"  But I dont know if I will. I brought her in twice during the week because she was panting and the vet ruled out cancer in the lungs. I thought for sure she would have been put down that night. So heartbroken and so confused. How will you really know when it's time? Should I just end her misery sooner rather than later?

- Jodi -  Abby's mom

YES. Panting is a sign of unrelieved pain.  Any day with unrelieved pain is a bad day.  Care more for your animal's suffering than your own suffering over letting go people.
Quote 0 0