JuanitaMH
Hi everyone.  I am so glad a site such as this exists, as I am still grieving and wonder if I'll ever get over the very violent death of my little girl Georgie.  I was never a dog person until I moved to Central Qld, and all of a sudden was surrounded by them, both working dogs and pets and I started to love them.  I found her through the RSPCA in Gladstone, she was 3, and thought she was a medium size dog, but no quite small; it took a couple of weeks I think to get to know each other and then we were inseparable. We lived out of town on a property for 2 years, I then made the worse decision of my life which was to move into town.  Unfortunately the house I rented doesn't have a fence, but I wasn't worried as she was always just by my side.  I was sitting on the verandah with a friend, she was there one minute and gone the next obviously having heard something; 2 very large dogs came into the yard and attacked her. I ran into the middle of it and just grabbed her, I have never heard screaming like it as I hurt her so much when I picked her up.  I got her to the vet but the damage was just too much, she died on the operating table.  This was on the 28th August and I still cry, I still think of her every day, and miss her every day.  You can see people starting to think 'get over it', and of course I have to but sometimes I wonder how the hell you do that; she was everything to me, I'd never had a family of my own and although a cat owner, I'd never known anything like the love she showed me. And I can honestly say I don't think I have loved like that before either, animal or person. As sad as that sounds....they really mean the world don't they?  The guilt I feel is so debilitating, the "what if's" drive me insane; I just wish things had been so different.  I actually have a new dog, it's not what I really wanted to do but thought it would help with my healing.  She is a sweet little thing and we are slowly getting to know each other, but I keep calling her Georgie poor little thing.  I just get so angry that this happened; these dogs left to wander the streets by their very irresponsible owner, walked across the other side of town to kill my little girl and of course I've had no recourse out of him, no apology, no offer to pay the vet bill, nothing.  I don't understand people like that, and the words I use for him would not be allowed on this site.  I could go on and on I guess, it is therapeutic to be able to write this down, so thank you.   
Quote 0 0
MurphysMom_0831
Hi Juanita,

I'm so sorry about the loss of your precious Georgie. Yes, they do mean the world. Some people have animals such as the incredibly rude and mean owner of the dogs who attacked Georgie. Then there are people like you and those of us here who consider their animals family members and children. Those who allow their animals to run free don't respect these beautiful creatures, care for them properly, nor do they understand the meaning of the unconditional love our furbabies have for us, and perhaps never even experience true love from their pets. They are the losers. Animals know who truly love and care for them and return that love a million times over. It's what makes their loss so incredibly difficult to deal with and accept and makes us question everything...because we love them unconditionally too.

I lost my beloved Golden Retriever, Murphy, on June 18 to an illness that came on him very suddenly. He was in a specialty hospital for 13 days, due to come home day 14, but took a terrible turn and I had to rush to his side and hold him while he was put to sleep. I question myself repeatedly about decisions I was forced to make, and the fact that there was no way to bring him home to pass where he felt safe and comforted has eaten me alive. Almost everyone here is or has gone through these same questions and emotions. It's devastating and there's no getting around it. I loved Murphy too more than I've ever loved before and losing him has rocked me to the core of my being. Even though it's been 4-1/2 months, I'm still despondent and having a terrible time finding my way without him. He was my everything as Georgie was yours. I write to him here every night and it helps. They know we tried everything to save them, and they love us no matter what. It's just how they are, and how wonderful to have the capacity to love unconditionally which is something they also teach us and enable us to do in return.

Everything you're experiencing is perfectly normal. Those who say "get over it" don't understand the incredible depth of this love and undoubtedly have never felt it nor had it bestowed upon them and probably never will as they don't have the capacity. They must be ignored. 3 months before Murphy passed he gave me the idea to get a Golden Retriever puppy who is named Spencer and is now 9 months old. Spencer will never replace Murphy, nor would I want him to, but he is forcing me to keep going and has become a very loving addition to our little family of him, my parrot and me. If it weren't for Spencer and Grady Bird, I honestly don't know if I'd be here as all I really want is to be with Murphy. However, Spencer and Grady need me too and I obligated myself to their love and care. I think it's good that you have the new dog as she will help you keep going and Georgie will guide you both. While not a replacement for Georgie either, this new dog will allow you to continue to love and will love you in return. I often call Spencer by Murphy's name and find myself saying the silly things or starting to sing the silly songs that were Murphy's. I'm always trying to think of new phrases and songs for Spencer as Murphy's are off limits, which may sound odd, but that's how it is for me. Allow your new girl to keep reminding you of the great capacity of love in your heart that Georgie established. Those of us who love our babies as we do have room in our hearts for other furbabies who need us.

Again, I am so sorry for the terribly tragic loss of your Georgie. Murphy was waiting to welcome her to the Rainbow Bridge and will take good care of her. That's just how he is.

Blessings,
Murphy's Mom (Kathryn)
"Sometimes there is a dog who is so special, he is able to wrap himself so completely around your heart it is impossible to tell where you begin and he ends."  For My Beloved Murphy, 08/31/2004 - 06/18/2014

http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/MURPH121/Resident.htm

http://s327.photobucket.com/user/kathrynbrown1626/library/?sort=6&page=1
Quote 0 0
JuanitaMH
Hi Kathryn, thank you for replying and sharing Murphy's story with me; and I am sorry that you had to go through that.  I felt so much better just being able to talk about what I was feeling; this site really is a godsend isn't it?  And like you, I think I will continue to write as well.  thanks again
Quote 0 0
MorgansMom
PooH!! it happened again!! I've got to be doing something wrong ... perhaps it is a message that I shold be more responsive .... 
Anyway what a horrific experience for you and Georgie!  Georgie is "over the rainbow" with Ms Murphy, and my boy Mr. Morgan (or Morgan Boo, or Boo-- same guy).  His trauma was different, but we two legged folks share similar responses; starting with guilt ... What could I , Should I, What if ... and frankly we could "should ourselves" until the cows come home (no cows where I am; but I imagine you get the drift...).  Nothing changes.
My short answer to your question of "how do you get over it?" is you don't.  The acute grief and pain may lessen over time, but the loss remains.  I am extrapolating that from experiencing other losses, most recently (now 5 & 6 years) of my beloved parents; they were each in their late eighties, each with unremitting chronic illness, and both were comfortable with the prospect of, and the actuality of their deaths.  But they're gone ... and eveytime something eventful happens in my life i think to this vey day... "I can't wait to tell Tootie about this"... or "what would Petie think"?  And I'll pick up the phone and dial their number ... but they're not there.  So, too it is with Mr. Morgan, who left to climb into his space ship .... (or so my husband says) on July 6, four months ago ... every morning I look to the bottom of our bed and expect to see his michevious brown eyes and his shiny black Cockapoo head poking up.  But he's not there.  Perhaps his story and that of another person's loss of a beloved dog at another time.  
Boo, aged two, "shouldn't" have died; nevertheless he's inanother place-- oh he has a place over the Rainbow Bridge-- which has brought me great comfort; and I get my Mikey's envisioning him in a spaceship being a Guardian Angel Dog for his and our four legged froends and their two legged companions,  and Mr. Morgan Guardian Angel job came all too close to home when our daughter recently, miraculously escaped a head or spinal cord injury,  and for that matter when Boy George and I escaped any injury in a more recent interaction with a guard rail when I "fell asleep" (I guess) atthe wheel 20 miles from our farm on a sunday morning from our daughter's hospital 500 mile away. (I'd been driving all night in rough weather--I'll not be doing that again soon).
That brings me to Boy George.  A week after I called Morgan's breeders to inquire whether there was anything in his line that might explain his death, one of them called me back.  He asked how I was doing, then told me he had a little guy named George, who was about a year old, they'd kept "until they found a good home." Apparently the woman who contracted to purchase him rejected him when she learned he was deaf.  They'd talked about it after learning Morgan died, and wondered whether we were interested in adopting the little guy.  Ironically, George was born a year to the day that our Mr. Morgan died.  So I spoke with Mikey, who is out of state 3 out of 4 weeks a month; whose response was absolutely.  Our older dog Ollie Pup needs a "buddy" for various reasons, that's the "why" for Morgan coming to live with us ... Ollie Pup was as bereft as we were when Morgan left, he'd wander around in the night looking for his "brother from another mother".  We jumped at the chanceto adopt the little guy.
I've lost another two paragraphs ... I don't know why they 
jump off to the side ... Anyway although Boy George the little rockstar, is
irrepressible and a joy, he is not, and was not intense to be a "replacement" for Boo.  Boois.  Not here, not now.  And in time the tears and pain will lessen.  But he will 
always be our Boo.  He had a "purpose" as W. Bruce Cameron writes in A Dog's Journey, and as hard as it is now, I know, in time, it will lessen.  Because Boo,
knows Georgie on Rainbow Bridge, and he'd now "looking after you".  (And when I get it together to change my avatar, you'll see for yourself!!)
Warmest regards and our empathy for your loss of Georgie 

Monica, Mikey B , OP & Boy George
Quote 0 0
mymilo
I'm so sorry for your loss, how do you get over such a shocking loss I know people always say that they are just animal, but for us we lover our fur babies as much as they love us. I agree about irresponsible pet owners those people should never be allowed to have pet. I hope someday you find peace sending you a big hug.
Quote 0 0
loft2111

So sorry for your loss, I can't imagine what you are going through with such a violent death and seeing your baby struggle.  Grief is a very tricky thing, there is not time limit, no magical healing time, you have to grieve and cry and be angry, get it all out.  We all know what you are going through and all going through the same things.  There will always be people that will never be privileged enough to feel the love of a pet, those are the ones that think you can get over it, I feel sorry for those people.  Take care of yourself and know it is not your fault and your grief is completely normal.

Quote 0 0