GEMINIXX69
I dont mean to wear out my welcome or post too many topics, but I still can't accept how I lost Minnie just all of a sudden.   Out of nowhere. She was almost 9 and healthy. She collapsed one day, there was blood coming from her mouth, and we took her to the vet immediately and hours later she was gone. Just like that. The vet thinks it was a hemangiosarcoma that ruptured, but I don't know for sure. I know some of you have lost your pet suddenly, and it's hard to accept. It's hard to accept no matter how we lose our pets.  Is there someone who has lost a dog in this exact manner?  Please share your story with me. I'm digging myself deeper into depression just not knowing exactly what took her and if I could've done something. Thanks to all who have sent me sweet messages. My heart goes out to all of you. 💔
Linda L.
Quote 0 0
Memories_of_Marmalade
Hi Linda,

I'm very sorry and saddened for what your Minnie and you experienced and for your sudden loss of her. It is so obvious in all of your words just how much you loved, cherished, and adored your little girl.

I did not have a dog, but a cat. His name was "Marmalade" and he was the love of my life. When he became ill as a senior, I began researching and have continued to do so. Reading countless medical reports, blogs, essays, articles, message boards and of course after he departed the comments here on this forum and on others (over on Reddit etc.) What I have learned I could almost lecture on. I am a researcher partially by trade which has helped me to gather and collate information. 

One important thing that I learned, that I did not know is - dogs, in the wild and out on the street (depending on the locale) have a lifespan of just 10 years (cats only live on average 2 to 5 years in the wild and out on the streets.) It is true that we humans can extend our dogs and cats lives by providing them with:

1.) Shelter (from the weather elements and natural predators)

2.) Regular food and fresh water

3.) Trips to the Vet's (examinations / treatments / medications etc.)

4.) Love and affection (which is nurturing to wellbeing.)

5.) A family (or pack or colony) which is important to a sense of purpose.

But they are not biologically designed to live as long as we can at times faciliate. We assume that our dogs (and cats) will live 10 to 12 to 15 years or more, but quite often, as is shown on this forum each week, that is sadly not the case. Our pets can pass within thier first year, their 2nd or 3rd, and / or any year thereafter. All we can do is be grateful for the time that we are allotted with them.

So your Minnie lived just short of an average lifespan for a pup. There was nothing that you could have done sweetie. She passed from natural causes. Which to be honest, is the best way for a pet to depart, as it is not involved suffering from prolonged pain and the anxiety that can come from being terminally ill. Quick and natural is a blessing in many ways. The way that Minnie departed saved you from having to make the decision to have her put down, she didn't need to continue to be in pain and suffer and you didn't have to watch her deteoriate over time. Minnie saved you from experiencing any of that. 

The other good news is the extreme grief you are feeling currently? is equal to the great love and affection your beloved Minnie felt from you all the years that you were together. So she knew GREAT LOVE. All dogs should be so fortunate and blessed.

I send you healing prayers. You are not alone, we are with you in comradeship and Minnie is with you in spirit...always.

My kindest regards & sincerest condolences,
James
Quote 6 0
GEMINIXX69
Thank you so much James. This is just what I needed to hear and I thank you for taking the time to reply. I too have a cat. Solid black and her name is Tygress. We call her Ty for short. It's strange because she does not like dogs, at all. But she had a kinship with Minnie and they were the best of friends. She loved giving Minnie "baths". I know she .can feel Minnie's absence as she is super clingy to me and my daughter and not aloof like she would normally be. I know you are missing your Marmalade and I'm very sorry.  They are always here in spirit, I have no doubt. Thanks again, so much, for this perfect message. Take care...
Linda L.
Quote 0 0
Mdmoore
My baby girl Ruby passed away very suddenly too.  The night before she was playing and acting normal, but later on I gave her a treat and she didn’t want it and that’s when I knew something was very wrong.  She started vomiting and lay down and couldn’t get up.  The next day she passed away.  I didn’t handle it well at all.  I was in denial for a while and couldn’t believe it.  I hoped it was just a nightmare and when I wake up she will be with me.  I don’t know of any easy way to deal with it.  After denial I started blaming myself wishing I had a second chance to be with her again and do everything right even though I’m not sure how I could have prevented it from happening.  I miss my baby girl and I know you miss Minnie.  The sadness is there.  My heart goes out to you and I feel your pain.  I joined this forum because it helped just to know that we are all going through this pain together and all we can do is be there for each other.  
M moore
Quote 2 0
runpr2
My dog, Rosie, 14, was plagued with stomach/pancreas issues since we had adopted her. Three weeks ago we thought it was just another one of those problems and took her to the emergency vet because our vet was backed up for 3 weeks due to opening from the virus.
The vet wanted us to leave her so she could do an ultra sound. We came home and two hours later she called to say Rosie's gallbladder had a huge mass and it was about to rupture. There was an option for surgery, but the vet said at her age and the severity of her problem, the prognosis was poor and many complications could arise. We had to make the decision right then. My last dog passed after a long illness and even then we weren't prepared for it, but with Rosie, she was just skipping and jumping curbs on our walks two weeks ago. To say I am devastated is an understatement. I feel guilty for not realizing sooner something serious was going on. She didn't act sick until the last day before the vet visit. I now understand how people feel when their loved pet dies unexpectedly. The only way I get to sleep at night is to talk to her, tell her I love her, and ask her to send me peace. Then I can sleep.
Brenda Hawley
Quote 0 0
Pepperlovesme
Sorry to hear about Rosie, I feel your pain. I lost my dog Pepper -12years old (female) two days ago. We had a great day at the park, she was not sick, when evening came she fell asleep next to me, 1 hour later she gave a loud yelp had a seizure, I rushed her to the vet 9:pm  she was already brain dead, so dr. put her down. Just like that my life changed my best friend and partner was dead. Pepper was a great help when I lost my parents and now I lost the most important friend I had. I am overwhelmed with pain. Thank you for sharing, knowing that I am not alone brings me some comfort.   I will pray for Rosie and everyone on this post.
Quote 0 0
runpr2
How awful for you!! It is so hard, isn't it, to wrap your brain around the fact that they won't be there when you look for them. I keep hearing Rosie, thinking it is time to go out, looking for her in her normal places. The pain we feel is so real and gut wrenching. I hope you can find some peace. I talk to her every night when I go to bed and tell her I love her, I miss her and would give anything to have her back. Then I ask her to help me find peace. And you do know what? I am able to fall asleep afterwards now. Thanks for responding and sharing your sad story. runpr2
Brenda Hawley
Quote 0 0
TKT
I too feel everyone's pain. My fur daughter Kiki passed yesterday. Although she had been diagnosed with kidney failure 2 years ago, she wasn't really sick or weak until a few days ago. I decided to take her to vet yesterday, then even before they started doing her bloodwork, she got seizures and her heart stopped beating on the table. It was only a couple of minutes ago when she was meowing while in the waiting room and asking me for gentle rubs on her head. I didn't even know what to think watching them do CPR, just collapsed into tears screaming please bring her back.
It's been only 2 weeks since my other fur daughter Toto passed from intestinal cancer. I don't have any children of my own so they were literally my daughters and the reason I lived for. Losing both of them, love of my life in 2 weeks is beyond bearable. Totally unexpected and I wasn't prepared for this. They were sisters born on the same day among other siblings. I adopted them from a rescue group 19 years ago when they were a month old. During those 19 years with them, I had a terrible divorce, followed by stage IIb breast cancer diagnosis, 6-month long chemo followed by radiations, then a sudden loss of my dad and job. Without Kiki & Toto, I wouldn't have survived any of them. How could I possibly get over this? So many "what if's" torture me. This place has become empty without anyone waiting for me. My heart is shattered into pieces.

Thank you for listening. I wish everyone peace and comfort.
Tam
Quote 2 0
runpr2
I am SO sorry for all your tragedies in your life. It has been so hard losing my Rosie so unexpectedly, but you have lost two in a short time. There are no words to make you feel better right now. I hope you can find peace somehow.
Brenda
Brenda Hawley
Quote 0 0
LaGata
I'm so sorry for all your losses...it helps me to know I'm not alone in this terrible dark place.
Quote 0 0
grievingmama

I just wanted to tell everyone here how brave and strong you are, I'm so sorry for all of your sudden losses. 

Geninixx69, I've just read your original post above (learning how to navigate this site as a newbie today). I was so grateful for your message of support on my own post earlier, and to read what you went through (and with the same symptom as my boy had) just makes my heart break for you even more. I'm so so sorry for your sudden loss. I hope our fur-kids are together chasing tennis balls and running free. 

Quote 1 0
GEMINIXX69
Thank you so much grievingmama. Today is so far the hardest day I've had, and already 3 weeks in.  I'm truly sorry for your loss and I'm glad we have this forum to vent.  There are maybe 2 people in my life who even remotely understand, and they think it's time to move on. It doesnt work that way as we all well know. Takes time. As much as we need.
So thank you for understanding. And please know I understand and am always here to listen. Thank you so much...
Linda L.
Quote 0 0
grievingmama

Last Friday was the 3 week mark for me and I get it, it was a hard hard day. I barricaded myself inside, I didn't want to deal with the world at all. In fact, I've been pretty much in a fog since June 5th, I'm not sure where the days have gone at all.

I think maybe it's knowing that you're about to reach a full month without them and although each day is painfully long and filled with memories at every turn, it is somehow also fast reaching the month milestone. 

Quote 0 0
lindydawn
My baby was diagnosed with stage 3 hemangiosarcoma on may 10th and we had to put her down june 16th 2 weeks ago.  That type of cancer is apparently super aggressive.  She was fine then the night of may 8th she came into the bedroom limping really bad so i picked her up to see what was wrong and her back leg was super swollen and there was a huge bruise already. We were so confused we ended up driving to the nearest big city for testing at 2 am and were back and forth all weekend then monday the 10th we were given the horrible diagnosis and said she only had a month to live. They said another tumor could rupture at any moment and kill her instantly.  I was so mortified that this could be happening.  She was completely fine all day. How could i not know anything was wrong.  I took a medical lead from work to spend whatever time she had left because she could of died at any moment.  I am thankful i got a full month and  a week with her that she was doing really good her red blood cell count went up and i was so happy thinking maybe she could beat this.  Then we found out she had a heart murmor as well and it was getting worse. Maybe from the cancer we dont know for sure. But of course it couldn't be just one thing.  I felt so defeated my poor sweet girl.  Her last few days she was having trouble breathing moving from on place to the next and it just got worse and she had that look in her eyes like mom im so tired.  I just held her and bawled knowing i didn't  have much time left.  I wanted to keep her another night thinking maybe she will get better but it pained me to see her struggling to breathe. Thats not how she would want to live. So we took her in that night and i was with her when she took her last breathe.  Which is the most horrific and peaceful thing at the same time.  But now all i see is her little body laying there on that table and it makes me sick to my stomach.  I hate cancer so much like why . Why my kia she was such a sweet girl.  Im 2 weeks without her and i cry everyday.  I come on this forum every night to read people's storys and it makes me feel a bit better but i just feel so heart broken 💔
Kias mommy 
Quote 0 0
Mdmoore
I’m saddened every time I read about our fur babies dying from cancer.  My chocolate lab’s Vet told me that when she retires she will spend her time doing research because too many are dying from cancer.  My baby girl had lung cancer and we don’t know how she got it. I know you cherish every moment you had with yours and hope that you find some comfort soon in knowing that you gave her a great life.  This forum has given me the support I needed during the darkest times of my life and I hope it does the same for you too.  
M moore
Quote 0 0