Forum

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Sixx

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello Everyone.

I am in the process of trying to reach a very painful and sad decision.  Is this the right time to put my 'Sweet Angel of Joy', Sixx down????  Three weeks ago Sixx had an ultrasound that revealed a tumor in his bladder, which is untreatable.  Sixx is 14 years old.  The tumor was discovered after several trips to the vet to try to get to Sixxy's constant drinking, and frequent urinating diagnosed.  In the past three weeks Sixx's symptoms have worsened, he drinks excessive amounts of water, and it seems at times can not hold anything in his bladder.  At the moment these seems to be his only symptoms.  I realize as the tumor grows things will get worse, but how do I determine if this is the right time.  I don't want to be early, and I really, really don't want to be to late.  Sixx's urinating has gotten to an unmanageable point.  He has frequent accidents in the house when he's home alone, and when I am home, I have to get him out every hour, and sometimes that's not even enough.  This is all the bad news, the good news and what is making this decision so difficult is the fact that Sixx still has times where he's playful.  He still takes walks, and he still eats, doesn't look uncomfortable and interacts with those around him.  At times I know what I need to do, but I'm having a hard time taking a step towards the decision I know I will eventually have to make.  Has anyone had a similar experience?

SchnauzsMom

Reply with quote  #2 

Dear friend,

I am very sorry to read about your dear Sixx.  All I know is that miracles do happen so don't rush into anything.  Many times, my own baby as well as many of my friend's dogs have beat all odds when given some time to do so.  If it truly is time, then you won't have doubts.  You may also want to seriously consider a second opinion.   Just don't give up -- you still have a chance to fight and you and Sixx may very well win -- I pray you do

-Schnauz's Mom
moonstone

Reply with quote  #3 
I know exactly how you feel about your pet Sixx and the very difficult decision about his life. I have posted on other threads on this forum about making such a decision. I had to have two of my cats put to sleep in the space of a month, just after Christmas,  and I struggled to let them go. My vet has been brilliant and done everything they could, but she said it was time to be kind and let them go. I didn't feel kind, I felt as if I was betraying their trust in me to get them made better, but there reaches a point when you have to take the vet's advice. I knew Rosie's days were numbered - she had numerous health problems including an over-active thyroid which was controlled with medication but then she developed a tumour which was probably on her liver,  although it didn't stop her from coming and making very loud demands for food, but it came as a shock when William showed symptoms of a tumour behind his eye which did not respond to any treatment.
I brought both their little bodies home and put them in a corner of my garden and put a rose bush on each of them.
Sixx

Reply with quote  #4 
Thank you moonstone, and SchnauzsMom for taking the time to read my post and share your thoughts.  While I want to keep Sixx with me as long as possible.  I know that letting him pass before he goes through any more pain is best for him.  After a few weeks of sole searching and many, many tears, I placed a call to his vet on Monday night and made the decision I've been regretting for all of his 14 years.  I am going to bring Sixx in on Thursday night.  It's important to me that I am able to make this decision for him and put my emotions aside.  I did not want to put him through any more than what he has already been through.  It was also important to me that the vet he's had for most of his life is there with us.  Dr. Ryckard has been wonderful with Sixx, and has managed his health issues in the past two years with understanding and compassion. So, the past few days while extremely emotional for me, have been great for Sixx.  He's been spoiled rotten, and gotten hugs and kisses that will last a life time.  He's my best friend, and I'll miss him so much everyday for the rest of my life, but I will know that I always did  what was best for him, and let him pass in a loving and gentle way, and not in pain and agony.
Ponchosmommie

Reply with quote  #5 
Sixx, I am so sorry yet what a blessing it is to KNOW what time you have left.  Even though Poncho had health issues BIG time, he died in my arms after getting his nails clipped!  SO unexpectedly!!  If I had known, his feet would never have touched the floor..I would have held him as long as I could!  As hard as I know it is, you have made the right decision.  No matter what the circumstance, losing a beloved pet is THE hardest thing in the world! To me, it's right up there with losing a child, because they are our "kids"....my thoughts and prayers are with everyone on this forum...as well as those yet to come.
carverman

Reply with quote  #6 
It's never an easy decision when your pet is so sick an the prognosis is that it's an incurable disease. I've been beside myself for practically 6 months with my little cat Boots suffering from CRF..I even put it off when the house call vet
showed up after 8pm and Boots had gone to sleep..but in the
end, all it bought us was 16 precious more days that he could
spend with me...and those were much appreciated by me.
Yesterday and today, when he started to go "toxic", and didn
eat and was listless, dazed and confused, I was at the brink
of making that decision. Today inspite of the snowy weather,he wanted to go outside to find a dark spot as animals often do to die on their own.I panicked but found him
and brought him home again and he "told" me it was time.
I called the vet and took him over and he was quiet and peaceful to the end.  At his end, even though I was overcome with grief, I was glad I did this final act of love for him and he
didn't have to suffer any more.
Ponchosmommie

Reply with quote  #7 
I'm so sorry for your loss.  It's just a nightmare that doesn't go away no matter what the circumstance.
Sixx

Reply with quote  #8 
I'm very sorry for your loss carverman.  I completely understand you being beside yourself for the past six months.  I have been in a similar situation for about that long myself.  This is by far the most difficult thing I've ever had to go through in my life.  Unfortunately after tonight I think the pain and sadness I'm feeling now is only the beginning.  Tonight is the night I'm taking my Little Angel to the vet for the last time.  I know it's what's best for him, and I'm trying to be strong for him, but darn it if this doesn't hurt more than anything I've ever felt before.  I'm sitting here at work trying to get through a few things before I go home and spend the rest of the afternoon with my baby, and it almost feels unreal to me.  Oh well, I suppose I could ramble on and on but where my head is today I'm pretty certain I wouldn't make any sense at all.  Thank you for all who read my post, and thank you for all who responded with your kind words. 
Casey

Reply with quote  #9 
I know exactly how you feel after having to put my beloved Skedio to sleep yesterday morning. I feel an overwhelming sadness and guilt about it. I've just been sort of in a trance since then remembering all the things we did together and won't be able to do again. The last 3 days have been so surreal to my wife and I. I still have a hard time accepting that yesterday happened. She seemed so healthy a week ago and was chipper and running around, I took her for a walk like we always do and she seemed just fine. The night before last when we had decided we would take her in the morning was sheer agony. By yesterday morning she wouldn't even come to us when we called to her. It was like she wasn't even there anymore. I was so wracked with guilt and grief at the vet's office that I couldn't even stay with her to the end. I hate that I abandoned her at that time and now I can't take it back.
It sounds strange, but she was more than a pet. She was a counselor, a friend, a protector, and a companion. I still don't know how I will be able to cope with her loss.
I would recommend to you that you should join the chat group here at night,
they made me feel a little better.
Ponchosmommie

Reply with quote  #10 
Casey, even though our circumstances may be different, I'm feeling exactly the same things as you and your wife. It's the worst feeling I have ever felt.  Tomorrow will be 2 weeks for me since I lost my baby boy.  I haven't had a day where I haven't cried. I think of him every minute and see him everywhere. I'm constantly thinking of all the years he was here.  You are not alone.  Everyone here on  the forum and in chat are a help...we're all going through the same feelings. Hang in there...that's what I'm trying to do...
Cindy

Reply with quote  #11 

I know what you are dealing with as I have dealt with it 5 times in my life.  Sometimes you just know. It may be due to an event, like a siezure, bloat or the beloved cat or dog does not respond.  You will just know when it is time.  And boy will you have the guilt.  Don't, which is easier said then done.  Last Friday I had the decision to put Matty asleep.  She had dementia, her legs were going bad and that night she had a massive seizure.  There was no choice.  My one regret is like the others, did I wait too long, were they in pain and I did not want to admit it.  Regardless, Matty is no longer in pain  .I wish you well in the process.  As time psses after the deed is done, you will know that you did the right thing  for your baby.  And that will help in the healing process. 

Sixx

Reply with quote  #12 
Cindy - I am very sorry for your loss.  I did make the decision, and I put Sixx down on Thursday evening.  Now I'm dealing with the sadness, and oh yes the guilt.  I guess that's a normal part of grieving. I know it was the right decision for Sixx, but right now that is not helping.  I'm doing my best to get through each day as they come, and will have to learn to live my life without my sweet little angel!
Goobiesbf

Reply with quote  #13 
Even with all you've had to go through in the past week with your little love, Sixx, you've been so very kind to everyone who's responded.  You are a wonderful, loving person.  Sixx knows he was loved and that he is still loved.  I don't think we ever learn to live without them because each and every one of them has permanently changed our lives in ways large and small.  They're part of us forever.  We do what we have to do to work through the grief of our separation from them.  Slowly, we begin to live our lives without their being with us on our journey and without the piece of our hearts they took with them when they left.
AmandaW01

Reply with quote  #14 

Much love to you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  I'm so sorry to read your story, but please, no guilt, sadness yes, that is totally unavoidable, but try to let go of the guilt xxxx You have NOTHING to feel guilty about, you love Sixx so much that you put you own feelings and wishes to one side and put him first and let him go to the bridge with dignity and without pain - there is no greater love that we can show for our darling angels than that!  He had a wonderful life with you, he knew love, cuddles, warmth and happiness, now he is waiting for you and is fully restored to health.  The sadness takes an age to go, I still cry and its been over a month now, its so very hard, but now I can smile when I think of my darling boy and I can look at his picture, if only for a minute before the tears start - a major improvement!  Take care of yourself, give yourself a break - you've done nothing to feel any guilt over whatsoever, you just allowed your best friend to go on ahead when he was so very ill and let him be free and young again, rather than making him stay here, suffer, feel pain and confusion so that you wouldn't have to deal with losing him.  That shows to me the utmost love and strength and compassion for you sweet angel xxx

carverman

Reply with quote  #15 

I'm so sorry for the loss of your Sixx.  
I know how you must feel right now, and how much you miss your little furbaby as I'm still having the same emotions of grief over the last week.

However, after reading some stories of people clinging on
desparately to them to the very last minute, or just letting
their beloved pet "die a natural death", I was bound and
determined not to let that happen to my little buddy,
not only would it be very painful to him, but devasting to
me to see him in his "final hours", and I would have guilt feelings for a long long time afterwards.

As it was, we both "knew" it was time last wednesday, we had said our goodbyes to each other over and over for the last 16 days.

The vet was very compassionate, and let me hold Boots and kiss him and tell him he was a good boy while she adminstered the drug.
He just lay down and went to sleep..and even though I knew
that that was it..and cried, it was still a peaceful and fitting
way to go..a way that I would like to go when it comes to be
my time as well.  I will always love him and miss him..but
he is in a better place now.  God bless these beautiful creatures that add so much to our lives.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.