jo0232
Hello everyone. On Friday I have an appointment at the vet to put my beloved cat Eevee down. She was diagnosed with kidney disease in November of 2016, which I have been treating with SQ fluids and various medications. I was and still am willing to do anything to keep her in my life. She is the sweetest little angel who brings me so much joy, and who has always been there for me in good and bad times. She recently began peeing in different spots all over my apartment, and then began peeing on my bed. I thought it might be an anxiety issue or a UTI so I brought her to the vet. She did have a UTI, but the vet was convinced that this behavior is due to loss of bladder control (since she is elderly). I was so hopeful that treating the infection would solve the problem, and that I could spend a few more months time with her. Unfortunately, she is still incontinent, and her quality of life will only decrease from there. She's down to 5 lbs, and the kidney disease is in the final stage. I just don't know if I am doing the right thing by putting her down. I feel as though I am betraying her trust, and I feel sick counting down the days until I have to say goodbye forever. I can't fathom life without her, and the thought of essentially taking her to die without her knowing what is going on is breaking my heart. I know I need to enjoy these last few days with her, but looking at her knowing she will be gone soon hurts so bad. I am trying to be happy in her last days, but I am so heartbroken that I can't maintain a strong appearance. She is still eating, drinking, and enjoying being pet and snuggled, and doesn't appear to be in much physical pain, which is making me question if I am doing the right thing. I just feel so lost and depressed. I love you Eevee.
Quote 0 0
Imlost101
Hi hi
Truth is at this point you can only trust that you will make the right decision. I had to face the very same decision on Sunday but unlike you I had no time to plan. Animals, I believe are here to show us how to behave - compassionate, kind, affectionate, loyal and brave...my heart broke on Sunday when my beautiful dog Lola had been so unwell I had to let her go. Lola was curious and sweet in every way her presentation on Sunday was pain, distress and desperation. I couldn't have her in pain prolonged so that I would be okay...I'm lost now...I sat tonight looking at her photos wanting to scream no come back to me...the ache is horrendous but as I realise that the last kind thing I could do was to relieve her distress and let her sleep soundly with me with her..know that your beloved furball adores you and trusts you. Talk to your vet again and have someone with you...
Quote 0 0
jo0232
I am so sorry for your loss of sweet Lola. Losing a pet is literally losing a piece of your family, and I'm sure Lola knows how much you loved her and is thankful for the life you gave her. It is so hard to deal with the pain. After I posted this, my sweet baby became wobbly and fell. I hate seeing the progression and knowing that she doesn't feel well, and not being able to explain what is happening to her. Again, I am so sorry you lost your baby so suddenly :(
Quote 0 0
Nikki18
Hi, Jo. I just agreed to put my cat down a few days ago. He had similar symptoms as yours does. He had incontinence, UTI infection, was extremely anemic, had very low platelets, one of his lungs had collapsed, he had stopped drinking water the day I took him to the ER. The vet thought he had cancer. The doctor told me that he was in a very serious condition. The vet tech tried to convince me that whatever he had was irreversible and that I should euthanize him. During the night I got a call and the vet told me that his blood pressure was dropping to a dangerous number, I then agreed to put him down. Since then, it's been a nightmare. I feel like I betrayed him. I feel like I should have transferred him to a better ER. I'm dying with so much pain. I miss him. Don't euthanize yours if you are not 100% ready, please. I don't want you to go through what I am going through... Love, Niikki's mom.
Quote 0 0
jo0232
Nikki18 wrote:
Hi, Jo. I just agreed to put my cat down a few days ago. He had similar symptoms as yours does. He had incontinence, UTI infection, was extremely anemic, had very low platelets, one of his lungs had collapsed, he had stopped drinking water the day I took him to the ER. The vet thought he had cancer. The doctor told me that he was in a very serious condition. The vet tech tried to convince me that whatever he had was irreversible and that I should euthanize him. During the night I got a call and the vet told me that his blood pressure was dropping to a dangerous number, I then agreed to put him down. Since then, it's been a nightmare. I feel like I betrayed him. I feel like I should have transferred him to a better ER. I'm dying with so much pain. I miss him. Don't euthanize yours if you are not 100% ready, please. I don't want you to go through what I am going through... Love, Niikki's mom.

Nikki’s mom,
I am so so sorry that you are going through this nightmare and that you lost your baby. I’m sure he knows how much you love him and always trusts that you did the right thing. Animals have a sense of knowing and your baby doesn’t want you to blame yourself and feel guilty. I am cancelling my appointment to euthanize her after reading this post, because I don’t feel like it’s 100% the right decision. I will seek out a second opinion to see if there is anything else we can try. I am here to listen if you want to talk more about your baby.
All the best,
Jo and Eevee
Quote 0 0
Leegrey
Hello. I’m sorry for what you are going through. I found this very useful when I was going through it with my kitty. He lived more than a year after his kidneys started to fail on a drug called Ipakitine. Check out this site: http://www.felinecrf.org
Quote 0 0