Nickm1978
This past Monday we had to take Oscar “bob” to the emergency vet. After thinking he may have had a stroke after the vet had took a look and the symptoms he had she explained a brain tumor is the reasoning of this at that time they said with him being 19 there was a slim if none of survival. My wife made the choice. She has had him since a puppy I knew him for the last 6 or seven years. When I met him he wanted to bit me we got past that and became best buddy’s he slept with me I made his dinner we went and got a bed pad since his legs stopped working and did everything we could to keep him with us. Today 7/6/2019 at 9:46am he was put to sleep. It’s been a long day and all I can do is keep the tears rolling. When I went in to bed I broke down knowing I’m not making his bed next to me not bringing his food and water bowel or bring a bacon or a bowel of fruity pebbles we share. Please let me know how to cope with this this is to most emotional state iv ever been in.
Quote 0 0
missingmylittlefriends
I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm breaking down and trying to cope with a similar experience, so I'm afraid I don't have any profound words of wisdom. Just know that you're not alone, and as cliched as it is, grief is the price we pay for love. As painful as this is, I bet your best buddy was worth it -- I know my dogs were, as absolutely painful as it all is right now.
Quote 0 0
Nickm1978
As heart breaking as it is your right this is the price we pay. Oscar was originally my wife’s dog but the past 6-7 years I felt as he was there my whole life. We went to the extent when his legs stopped working we got a bed pad for his potty we lifted him up and down off the bed and couch. We were there over 100% to make him live as long as possible. Is what hit me last night was I normally get his pallet on the bed next to me and he would cuddle up to me I’d have his food and water bowel in there and he got a piece of bacon and we would eat a bowel of fruity pebbles and of course he got the cereal milk. But last not was none of that and I tell ya I never knew I was so close this this little guy.
Quote 0 0
EileenMax
I’ve been through this before and I still miss my old friends. Today we said goodbye to our Max and it is heartbreaking. Sending ❤️ To you. It’s tough because the love and bond was so strong. Hope you find comfort.
Quote 0 0
Nickm1978
So sorry to hear about max he will have a friend up there where they will run free
Quote 0 0
EileenMax
Yes and they will all have strong legs and run free. ❤️
Quote 0 0
Pivoboy65
19!!!! You are so lucky. Since I met my wife 22 years ago we have had 3 dobermans. Jaxon died at 6 and a half. Heart desease. Joker just died this past Memorial Day. Just dropped over dead. He was probably 10. He was a rescue. So we took Ruby, our female Dobie in for a complete checkup and she Was diagnosed with a heart murmer with guarded to poor condition. She is 9. I would love to see one of our dogs live past 10. You got a good life out of yours. Take care. I know it still hurts.
David becak
Quote 0 0
Deebee58
Dont try to hold back the tears just let them flow. It us now 3 months since I lost my beautiful Sassy and a day never passes without me thinking of her and breaking down in tears. I am not trying to say that you will feel better for crying but it is definitely better out than in and there is absolutely no shame in crying.
D a bryce
Quote 0 0
just_lost
I'm sorry, Nickm1978.  I think all of us feel your pain; your comments about not making Oscar's (such a funny name for an animal - I love it!) bed or getting his food and water gave me a flashback to our beloved cat Felix.  He crossed the bridge several weeks ago.  The house seems a little emptier even though we have four other cats.  Please accept my deepest condolences.  I hope that you can find a little comfort, peace of mind, and healing in this group of amazing people.
Quote 0 0
AstrosDad
Time is probably the only thing that heals.  Grief is a process, different for everyone, and it seems to come in waves.  That your dog was 19 is amazing in itself.  I don't know any dog that has lived that long.  Of the 3 dogs I've buried, they were 12, 10, and just recently, 7!  So, try to remember that you gave your dog a home and love.  Compare that to the millions of other animals that suffer all across the globe, every day.  This is the main strategy I use to deal with the sudden resurgence of grief that overwhelms me on a daily basis.  Our pets have all won the golden tickets.  When you are ready, go save another animal and make the world a better place for both of you.  Good luck.
Charlie Bee
Quote 0 0
xxcesarxx
My boy was only 4, he is my only one and will always be my 1 and only. So many people tell me to get another dog , I cant! I lived the happiest 4 years of my life with him and even though only 4 years we sure made it feel like eternity. I can't wait to join him and run together again.
Quote 0 0
Deebee58
First off let me say how sorry I am for your loss, the pain of losing your dog, your best friend and soul mate is so hard to take.
Like you I vowed never to have another dog when Sassy Mr beautiful little Staffy died on 5 April. I really did feel as though it would somehow be disloyal to her and my wonderful memories of her. However 2 weeks ago I got a 3 year old Staffy, Jasoer, from a rescue centre, apparently he was very malnourished when they took him in and had obviously suffered from some abuse. I will never ever forget about my beautiful girl and still cry every day but Jasper really needed a loving home and although he can never replace my Sassy I believe that we can mutually help each other.
D a bryce
Quote 0 0
Lrogers424
I am so sorry for your loss.  It is heartbreaking; we all know that from first hand experience. Unfortunately, the only way through is straight through the pain.  There is no way around it.  Feel everything.  Cry, miss your boy, remember him and love him still.  I lost my girl 1 year ago.  I miss her and think of her everyday.  I chose to get another dog which helped me deal with the loss, but everyone is different.  My puppy, now 11 months, gives me a purpose and makes me get out and moving each morning.  Just like my Daisy before, everyone stops to talk to me when I am with her, which is good because I tend to lead a more isolated life.  Dealing with grief in isolation is not good.  This forum helped a lot in that I found like minded people who helped me through the loss and also the emotionally complicated adoption process on my thread "Adoption after loss."  The best thing to keep in mind is that there is no time limit or right or wrong way to grieve.  Everyone is different, but you will find much support here.

I wish you and your wife peace through the process.
Lori, Daisy's Mom and now Luna's Mom
Quote 0 0