DustysDaddy
Dusty died at the end of July, 2013.  I took him in when he was about 6 weeks, after he'd "cared" for by a crack addict that treated him horribly.  When he met me he was the most attentive, constant animal companion I'd ever had.  Just before his six month birthday he became very sick and the vet found blockage in his intestine that needed to be removed. He survived the operation, but when they took his breathing tube out he coughed and choked on the mucus in his lungs.

I have two other amazing cats but Dusty was so special in his own unique way. When I first met him he was 3 weeks old and the addict I mentioned had found him hidden on a construction site.  He took an instant liking to me (cats naturally take to me) and he would never let me out of his sight. It was like when he looked at me he was looking into me.  It was like he saw some inner goodness in me that I didn't even know I had.  

A few days ago I got an email from this time capsule thing I done last year and forgotten about.  It was a message that I'd sent to myself to be reminded of in one year's time.  The last line was "I hope you still think about Dusty every day." And I do. Every single day.

It never occurred to me until tonight to see if there was such a thing as a forum for grieving pet owners. I'm glad there is- especially right now.  Sometimes I have to just sit down and let it all out.

So... I guess I'm asking how you all cope?  I have certain songs I listen to, the primary one being "Bright Eyes" by Art Garfunkel from the Watership Down soundtrack.  

I'm trying to find music that reminds me of how Dusty was when he was alive.  There's a children's folk group called the Okee Dokee Brothers that captures his naturally happy, adventuresome spirit. But I can't listen to it without breaking down.

Thoughts?
-Dusty's Daddy

971171_927411587789_1711898678_n.jpg
Quote 0 0
Katel
Oh look at that dear little face.  I want to just grab hold and cuddle him.  You've come to the right place here Dusty's Dad -  as people here are all mourning and in pain,  and we understand. You are not alone.  How do others cope?    In our own ways, but letting grief out is very important for each person. You can tell us more about Dusty and how it was with him, tell us about the good times if you feel like it, and maybe post more photos.  Talking about our pets pays them tribute and honours our grief in my opinion.  I lost my little dog (in the photo) 4 months ago and am soon to lose my other little one who is inoperable.   It can be very hard to bear our sorrow and loss but there are some wonderful people
here who have helped to comfort me in a way I don't get in real life.
Please tell us more about your beautiful little cat,   and my prayers are with you for peace,

Kate 
Quote 0 0
Charliesmommy
What a sweet face Dusty has and I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

I found this place soon after I said goodbye to my Charlie and its been like a safe haven.  I can talk about how I feel and write notes to my boy and know that no one here will tell me that I should just stop talking about it and just move on.  Its been a comfort.

hugs,
Tammy
Quote 0 0
DustysDaddy
Thank you for the kind words- I do appreciate it.  I'll think about it more and maybe upload some more pictures of Dusty.
Quote 0 0
Kylea
Dusty sure is a cute little guy. One way that I cope is that I talk to my dog up in heaven. At night before I go to bed and say my prayers, I take a moment and speak to Bailey. I tell her I love her and hope that she is being a good girl. Sometimes I can picture her face listening to my words. I talk to her a lot in the morning too. Sometimes, I will drive along in the car and just start talking like she is there with me and I like to think that she can hear me talking to her. Have you heard the song "Happy"? That was mine and Bailey's song. She is my sunshine and made me really happy. I used to sing it to her a lot. Every time, I hear it now, I sing it out loud just like I would to Bailey. I feel like that song is a God moment kind of thing when it comes on. Most of the time, that song will come on when I'm crying and missing Bailey. It reminds me that she is still my sunshine, just in a different meaning. 

You will always have Dusty in your heart. I take comfort in knowing that Bailey will always be with me. I hope this site helps you to cope. It has really helped me.

Kylea
Kylea Barton
Quote 0 0
DustysDaddy
That's a good idea, Kylea.  Dusty does always seem ready to listen.  Perhaps I ought to try talking to him when I'm feeling good, not just when I'm missing him. :)
Quote 0 0
Duke2014
Hi, I lost my 13 week old puppy to distemper a few weeks ago and I found the most beautiful quote that really has helped me. "When you feel me in your heard, just look up I will be right there". I have it saved on my phone and its an image of a dog with wings looking up at a starry sky. I hate to overuse the phrase but I know our pets are in a better place with no more suffering. It hurts so much that our pets were so young but just think about the amazing impact they have left on our lives in such a short time and I can only wish I leave such an impact behind.
Quote 0 0
DustysDaddy
13 weeks- wow...

A week prior to Dusty's passing my mom's cat Pepper had to be put down.  Pepper was 18 years old, so even though I cried like a baby when it happened I was still expecting it to come.  But Dusty was just under 6 months... I think there's something extra devastating about losing a baby animal- they're pure, innocent, and filled with happiness.  All children are born not knowing about the pain and cynicism of this world, but if pets are well cared for, they'll never have to deal with it.  Losing someone so full of life and innocence is truly painful as we can't even take solace in knowing that they lived a long life.

Although, I'm reminded of the quote from Blade Runner: "The candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long and you have burned so very brightly."
Quote 0 0
Gertie
What a beautiful baby!! I am so very sorry for your loss. I do understand your pain. I too lost my beautiful kitty Myles 1/20./13 he was 11. My oldest pet. I then went on to loose my beautiful Lhasa Duncan July 3 last year. I now look back and wonder how I got through this. I think the love I had for these two beautiful souls helped me as I grieved.  Your little guy had a very short life but the love you shared still lives on. Looking at his picture I can understand why. I am very partial to orange tiger Kitty's. He was adorable. I have always since I lost my little guys looked for the brightest star in the night sky. I say goodnight to my beautiful babies. There is a beautiful song called "one small star" I have it on my I pod. You can down load in on I tunes. I hope you find peace in knowing Dusty is always near, loving you from that night sky.

Hug's to you,

Duncan & Myles Mom xx
Quote 0 0
DustysDaddy
Thank you all for the kind words, this definitely helps.  One thing I've started doing is forcing myself to listen to music that reminds me of what Dusty was like when he was alive. One major example would be the Okee Dokee brothers album "Through The Woods."  Captures his innocent love of life perfectly.  Bittersweet for me, but it's helping.

I'm trying to reach out to Dusty and see if he forgives me.  I think he does, but I need him to remind me.
Quote 0 0