mskarenlynn
Hi, 

I'm new here.  My heart breaks for all of you.

How did you decide?  I've read and read and read, and it's not helping me.

Emma (16 year old Papillion).  She's totally deaf, but that never stopped her.  I don't think she can see very well anymore.  She sleeps about 22 hours a day.  Some days, the two hours she is awake, she runs around like the old days.  Some days during the two hours, she stares at walls, stairs....and just looks lost.  It's those two hours on the good days I'm holding on to.

I know I'm being selfish.  When I think about having her put to sleep, I can't stop thinking it may be the wrong thing.  That's my heart.  My head knows what I need to do.

I know it's about the quality of life.  How do I know she doesn't enjoy her long 22 hour naps?  I know that sounds dumb.  She eats.  Not very much.  She's starting to go potty in the house.  She's used a doggie door for 16 years.  She still does, except for in the morning.  She sticks her head out and then runs and goes to the bathroom in my dining room.

When she sleeps she sleeps right up against me.  I can't imagine her not there.

Please help me.  I can't sit here crying any longer knowing what I SHOULD do.  Everyone keeps telling me "it's my decision".  I know that, but it doesn't make it any easier.

Any words of wisdom sure would be welcome.

emma.jpg 

Karen
Karen
Quote 0 0
Bizbol
Hi, Karen,

Emma is beautiful, by the way. I lost my beloved Pomeranian two weeks ago. He was 16. He too was almost totally deaf and could not see very well anymore. However, nothing else seemed to diminish his quality of life so my wife and I never thought of having him put to sleep. He died of a heart attack, but as a Pom, he did live a full life. I say this, but it brings me no comfort at all; it does not bring him back.

Your Emma seems in the same situation as my Tsuk. My advice to you would be to keep your Emma as long as you can if she shows no sign of suffering. That's what we did and I still believe to this day that Tsuk enjoyed life till his very last day. If you were to put Emma to sleep now, you would probably have regrets about it for a very long time, not knowing if your girl was happy or not. You know Emma, you probably know if she's a happy dog or not.

Your reasoning is not dumb at all. It is one through which we all go as pet lovers. 

I can only hope my short reply has helped you a tad in taking a sound decision.

We are all here to support you. Don't hesitate to write about all your concerns. You're among friends here.

Eric

Quote 0 0
mskarenlynn
Thank you for responding Eric.  Your baby was beautiful.  I'm so sorry for your loss.  Your story was heartbreaking.  They do become a part of us, don't they? 

I think I've decided to take her to have her checked by the vet.  I think.  Maybe.  I don't know.  I feel if you look for something hard enough, you're going to find it.  It's so hard to see her out of sorts.  I know she has dementia.  I also know she has lived a very long and good life.  I treat my animals like they are humans, as I am sure, everyone on here does or they wouldn't be on here.

I'm touched to see how many people really are "like me" when it comes to their pets. 

I'll definitely be updating Emma's status.  Again, thank you for your response. 

Karen
Quote 0 0
BrianG
mskarenlynn wrote:
Hi, 

I'm new here.  My heart breaks for all of you.

How did you decide?  I've read and read and read, and it's not helping me.

Emma (16 year old Papillion).  She's totally deaf, but that never stopped her.  I don't think she can see very well anymore.  She sleeps about 22 hours a day.  Some days, the two hours she is awake, she runs around like the old days.  Some days during the two hours, she stares at walls, stairs....and just looks lost.  It's those two hours on the good days I'm holding on to.

I know I'm being selfish.  When I think about having her put to sleep, I can't stop thinking it may be the wrong thing.  That's my heart.  My head knows what I need to do.

I know it's about the quality of life.  How do I know she doesn't enjoy her long 22 hour naps?  I know that sounds dumb.  She eats.  Not very much.  She's starting to go potty in the house.  She's used a doggie door for 16 years.  She still does, except for in the morning.  She sticks her head out and then runs and goes to the bathroom in my dining room.

When she sleeps she sleeps right up against me.  I can't imagine her not there.

Please help me.  I can't sit here crying any longer knowing what I SHOULD do.  Everyone keeps telling me "it's my decision".  I know that, but it doesn't make it any easier.

Any words of wisdom sure would be welcome.

emma.jpg 

Karen

Karen

I am going thur what you are also.  My Jesse back legs are going, she doesn't do alot of the things she used to do, Her hearing is also going.  She has he good days and has bad days.  I too don't want to be selfish, I think you will know, this is " the time "    Its hard that's for sure.

Give me her as much love'n as you can. She knows you love her and likewise. I hope you find peace within your self.  As pet owners, it rips at our hearts that's for sure.  I tell myself at this time, with such sadness in my heart at times, I can't go thur this again.  But I have had dogs all my life. But as another person on her said,  I know Jesse is the " one "   I loved all my pets, none more then the other,  But Jesse has put a spell on me lol .. if that makes any sense lol.  She is and has been my best friend.  Camping trip's, hiking, walking the trails, swimming in the lake.  I can't put it into words, But she is the " one ". 

I'll be thinking of ya .. Thoughts and Prayers !!

Brian
Quote 0 0
PreciousBailey
Hi Karen, I'm sorry for what you're going through right now. I know nothing can be said to make any of easier but I do agree with Eric on this. If your baby doesn't seem to be in pain keep her as long as you can. If I could go back and change my decision to euthanize I would. I ache every minute for that decision. My situation was different. My Bailey had CHF and began having trouble breathing. I knew it was terminal and there was nothing they could do but I still wonder. A few more weeks, day's, even hours would have been wonderful. I loved him and miss him so terribly!! Regret is a horrible thing to live with. I hope this helps some and you are able to find some peace.
Michelle
Quote 0 0
Beesmom123
Karen
if your baby has quality of life, experiences joy , is still eating and drinking and is comfortable, I suggest holding off a little if it makes sense for you and your family. 
I know this sounds obvious but once the decision is made, its so achingly permanent and the 'what if's' start
my boy went down hill very rapidly and my trying to keep him alive with extraordinary measures would have been cruel & selfish..yet I still run the scenario thru my head every day, maybe if I did this or that, sooner or later..

plus no matter what the circumstances, simply making that life or death decision leaves a mark on one

My heart goes out to you,
Diana
Bee- "Good night sweet prince & flights of angels see thee to thy rest"
Quote 0 0
Bizbol
Hi, Karen,

Just dropped by to see how you are doing and to let you know I'm thinking of you in these tough times.

Eric

Quote 0 0