Pj
My beautiful Golden Retriever died suddenly 38 days ago. He was 10 y.o. but had always been healthy, active and young looking as if he would never age. He developed lung cancer and died 17 days after his diagnosis. We were shocked & devastated.

We have had a Golden for 18 years. This loss has left a huge void in our hearts and home. My grief is affecting my day to day life. I go to work every day and do all that I need to do as a wife, mother, etc. But I cry almost daily and I am struggling to get past it. 

I actually have an appointment for grief counseling as suggested by my trusted veterinarian.

I was happy to find this forum of those affected by this loss who have an understanding of what I am going through.
Quote 0 0
Korrasdad
Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend.  You did come to the right place for support. We are all struggling to come to terms with these losses.  My story is similar to yours, Korra was a 5 year old, healthy, active and loving member of my family 3 weeks ago.  I made the decision to let her go one week ago today.  I still don't know for sure what affected her, but she had lost muscle control and developed a condition called megaesophagus.  She suddenly couldn't walk or hold her food down, and it wasn't getting better. She had also developed pneumonia. All of the suspected disease diagnosis came up negative.  I couldn't watch her suffer anymore and I didn't want her to pass alone in a hospital, without me by her side.  

I've had to let dogs go in this way before, but this one has hit me very hard.  She was my "forever dog", we just "got" each other.  To lose her when she was so young and vibrant and when we should have had a few more years together at least is crushing.

I also am taking advantage of grief counseling, I hope it's the right step for both of us.

Just keep loving your friend (what is his name?) and remember the years you did have him.  Post a picture of him here, I think we'd all love to see how beautiful he is.  Take care and allow yourself to grieve as long as you need to.
Quote 0 0
carmens_mom
I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful goldie.  Making "that" decision was one of the hardest ones I've ever had to make, but like you, I knew I had to because I loved her too much to let her suffer.  Our beautiful babies give us so much love and joy - and it's so horribly difficult without them when they are gone.  I understand what you mean when you say you still function on the outside (work, wife, mom), but I also know and live the lingering pain you feel everyday.  This group has been a godsend for me - there are so many caring and supportive individuals who have been through the same loss(es) and truly understand what a "day without" means.  Please keep all the memories of your precious goldie in your heart, as I will keep you in mine. 
My warmest regards,  Carmen's and Gigi's mom - alicia
Quote 0 0
Pj
Thank you Korrasdad and carmens mom for your replies. My dog's name was Tucker.  I will post a picture, Thank you. I appreciate your replies, kind words and support. It does help knowing I am not alone in my grief and sorrow.  Our dogs were always treated as family and spoiled rotten. I have pictures of Tucker all over my house which I will never take down. I also had an 8x10 and a photo album made of some of my favorite pictures of him. His constant companionship is irreplaceable and like you Korrasdad, his relationship with my son was special. Tucker "got" him (my son) and they were inseparable and my son is grieving as well and seeing him in pain and not being able to "fix" that is heart wrenching. Your story is similar to mine, I'm so sorry you had to go through that with your beloved Korra. It's a shock and devastating to see them suffer. But when that time comes we have to let them go. It was the worst day of my son's life to let Tucker go and mine as well.
Quote 0 0
Pj
fullsizeoutput_1bd.jpeg
Quote 0 0
Korrasdad
Tucker is sure gorgeous. It’s so hard to go through this, it must be difficult for both of you. It’s 10 days after for me, and tonight I’m missing her so much. They mark our lives forever, make us better people while they are here, and especially when they leave.
Quote 0 0
Pj
Thank you, Bonniesmum, I appreciate your support and kind words. I am going through with grief counseling. My first appt is next Wed. I am letting myself grieve and it is so painful. It’s nice to know someone else did let grief counseling and it helped.
Quote 0 0