Angexx27
Hi all my king charles spaniel Bailey was put down yesterday. It all happened so quick he was only 3 years old. I took him to the vets thursday cause he wasn't eating they took blood tests and told me to bring him back Friday. Friday I'm told he has diabetes so they kept him in to bring his sugars down. Sunday i am called in to see if he will eat for me. He can't breathe properly and can't even stand up. The vet then tells me he has cancer and he's in a lot of pain. His blood sugars are also still high. So 2 hours after arriving thinking he was OK he is put to sleep. I feel so guilty should I of done more to help him he was only a baby
Quote 0 0
dachsiemom
I am very sorry to read this tragic story of your Bailey.  What happened to you was terrible, and of course you are feeling traumatized, shocked and sad.  But you should in no way be feeling guilty.   Cancer in a dog that young was probably serious, aggressive and fast acting.  It sounds as if your boy was rapidly declining.  You could have put him through tests and treatments in an attempt to save him, but the result would probably have been the same.  
My sister went through a similar ordeal last year with her Corgi.  One day the dog was fine, the next day she could not eat and had trouble walking.  That evening she collapsed.  When we took her to the emergency vet we were told that she had a tumor that had burst inside her and that she was hemorrhaging internally.  I don't know the circumstances you were dealing with, but it was probably very serious.  I think you did the right thing, as difficult as it was.  Now your focus must be on taking care of yourself as you recover from this loss.  
Moira - remembering Brandon
"Better lo'ed ye canna be. Will ye no' come back again?"
Quote 0 0
Angexx27
Thank you I can't stop feeling guilty and thinking I should of tried to save him I'm crying all the time I feel like I gave up on him when he might of survived but then I think he hadn't eaten for a week and couldn't move he wasn't excited when he saw me he just about managed to wag his tail. I just don't understand how 10 days ago he was his usual self and now he's gone
Quote 0 0
AZTiger98
So sorry for your loss. It sounds like you did everything you could for your little man I know that doesn't necessarily take away the feelings of guilt and loss. I hope coming here will be of help to you on your grief journey. May you find the peace you need to make it through the day.
David

Daddy to beloved fur baby Stormy
08/2003 - 05/19/18
Stormy’s Residency https://www.rainbowsbridge.com/residents/STORM059/Resident.htm
Quote 0 0
Angexx27
Thank you I'm finding it so hard just to get through the day I can't function I miss him so much I just want to hold him again
Quote 0 0
catiebee
Ohhhh! Your precious three-year-old baby! I am so, so sorry this happened. It must be a terrible shock!

Though it is so unfair, sometimes these awful illnesses sweep in fast and furiously and just snatch our sweet one's lives. I am sad for you and my heart feels so torn that you have to go through this deep loss and with him at such a young, young age. 

He was a lovely creature and I know you miss him immensely. I hope writing here and knowing others understand and care will help at least a little. Hugs to you!
Catie
-Missing Marissa deeply
Quote 0 0
Angexx27
Thank you it does help talking on here. I keep thinking I made the wrong decision I should of tried to help him get better. I feel like i let him down It hurts so much just want to see his face and watch him barking at the TV. Does it get any easier x
Quote 0 0
dachsiemom
There are two issues here.  First, should you have tried to help him get better?  You may have been able to get some kind of treatment for him, but would that have made him better?  Probably not.  Years ago I had a beautiful Sheltie who was diagnosed with bladder cancer.  I was devastated, simply could not bear the thought of losing him.  He was nine years old.  When the vet saw how distraught I was she suggested that I take him to Ohio State veterinary hospital where they could provide treatment.  How much would that cost?  About $10,000.  Yes that was a lot, but she told me that it could buy him six more months.  I didn't do it.  It is so easy to go down these roads trying to help our pets because we love them so much and can't imagine life without them.  And yet that life must be imagined.  Loss must me endured.  It is very painful; I can attest to that.  After the sheltie died I got a dachshund named Brandon.  At 49 I had already had lots of very beloved pets, but I loved Brandon more than any pet I'd ever had.  When he died 8 weeks ago it hit me very hard, as I knew it would.  I still miss him, but it has gotten easier. 
I am sure everyone tells you this, but the grief really does come in waves.  At first these waves are huge and close together, but they gradually get farther apart and smaller.  For the first few days I cried so hard I thought I was going crazy.  Cry as much as you need to.  Don't feel that you need to "get over it" before you are ready.  Your dog was your constant companion, your soul mate, your baby.  Losing him was losing a part of yourself.  You will regain your equilibrium, but not today.  Everyone is different.  I noticed that I was feeling better after about 6 weeks.  I still miss Brandon and still grieve for him, but I am no longer consumed by sorrow.  It will get better for you as well.  
Moira - remembering Brandon
"Better lo'ed ye canna be. Will ye no' come back again?"
Quote 0 0
Angexx27
It's so hard we only had him for 3 years he was still a puppy. I keep seeing him everywhere I can't sleep when I do manage to get to sleep I keep waking up and his the first thing I think of when I open my eyes.
Quote 0 0
Tankie12
Angela, so sorry about your baby. He was young, so unfair. Yea waking up in the morning is hard, your first feeling is that normal one, than you’re blasted with reality and you just want to g to sleep again and “wake up from a nightmare” I wish you could, I wish we all could. I can tell you not to fell guilty, you shouldn’t and I wish you didn’t, truth is we all feel guilty in our own ways. The ‘ what if’s ‘ it’s our desperation, it’s our pain it’s our grief. We desperately want to think their Had to have been something else we could have done to have prevented this. We are very much at the mercy of our knowledge, the Vet’s knowledge and our “gut feeling”. We’re here for you, check in as often as you like, take care of you
Lynn, Tankie’s mom, forever
Quote 0 0
Angexx27
We bought Bailey home today and buried him in the garden he looked at peace. I can talk to him now when ever I want. I miss him so much but I'm glad he's home now where he was happy xx
Quote 0 0