milda
Yesterday in the wee morning hours as I was coming home from taking my husband to work, I came across a dark patch of road and my headlights shined on a racoon that was crossing, I swirved my car to the left to avoid hitting it and it was so dark, I didn't see the other creature behind it and I hit and ran over the poor thing!  I was horrified.  I couldn't stop screaming and crying.  I feel just awful about this.  The entire day I cried over it.  It was a dark patch, so I was fearful of stopping, and had I hit the brakes the car behind me would have hit me, so I pulled over when I felt there was enough road lighting and I could find a street address so that I could call animal control.  It was just so shocking, I can't stop thinking about this.  I am such an animal lover that thinking that I hit the momma or the pappa racoon just is such a terrible thought.  I am so sad about this, all I keep thinking about is the first racoon crossing that looked right at me, and when I swirved to the left I sighed a sigh of relief because I thought it was going to be ok, not realizing that there was another one right behind it and hitting it straight away....I just don't think I can drive in that area without thinking about it.  Has anything like this every happened to anyone?  How do you handle this?
Quote 0 0
finchgangsmom

I have never had it happen to me but theres alot of it that happens here. I can only imagine what you are feeling. {HUGS}

Finch Gangs Mom (Loren)
Quote 0 0
tikibarb
I am so sorry that you had this happen to you. I hit.a deer once while driving along a dark road. Like you, there was nothing i could do to prevent the accident. The deer just jumped out of the side of the road and there was no possibility of stopping. I felt awful too. But, there is nothing you can do about these kinds of accidents. It was not your Fulton. You did what you could to prevent it. I think you just need some time to process the pain and sadness.
Barbara Lyngarkos
My Beloved Ted 8/7/2005 - 7/7/10
http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/TED001/Resident.htm
Quote 0 0
erica212
That is horrible that it happened, but like tikibarb said, it was an accident. As long as you know you tried to avoid, then there is nothing more you can do. I see quite a bit of animals hit here where I live too. It was simply an accident.
Erica
Quote 0 0
Meghanm
I am sorry about your accident. I can imagine that you feel horrified and upset. Please know it was an accident and you did all you could to avoid hitting the raccoon.
Meghan

"If the people we love are stolen from us, the way to have them live on is to never stop loving them. Buildings burn, people die, but real love is forever." ~ The Crow

"We don't "get over" our losses and just move on, we learn to live differently."
~ http://www.angelbluemist.com/frames/guilt.html
Quote 0 0
otto12

It must be a horrible experience. My cat got run over by a tractor that our neighbour was driving and I know he loves animals so your post made me understand how he probably is feeling, I know it was an accident and nothing he could do I have never blamed him he didnt even know what had happened until I called him afterwards and told him what had happened, he was in chock I think. There was nothing you could do it was an accident.

Quote 0 0