Jparish

Just registered here. Sadly my first post is about my little buddy Fruit Bat who went to Heaven today.

Fruity was one of six feral kittens who I caught and raised last summer. I had two young ferals living in my backyard in a house I made them and I was planning on catching them last June and having them fixed (at the time I didn't even know if they were male or female.Well, it turns out they were both females and both already had very little kittens. After waiting until the kittens were weened I caught everybody, had the two moms spayed and raised the six kittens (three black and white, three black) in my garage, which is actually more like a family room - carpeted and very comfy. Eventually one of the black kittens (Spot) went to a friend of my Mom's and her son and the three black and whites (Haircut, Longshanks and Peek) went to my Wife (we have been separated for a few years) and I kept the remaining black kitties - Fruit Bat and his sister Minsker (in addition to my three adult cats). Fruity had always been a little fellow, but last week I decided he was getting noticeably skinnier and took him into the vet. At first the diagnosis was possible Mycoplasmosis. Over the next six days he continued to go downhill and was in to the vet five times. Early this morning he lost use of his legs. We still don't know what it was, but he was in obvious pain (laying motionless execpt for spasmy jerks).

Although I only knew Fruity for eight months, he really took hold of my heart. He was one of the most unique kitties I'd ever met both physically (he looked like a little fruit bat) and in terms of his personality. I miss him terribly and the sun hasn't even set yet. My last words to him were "I'll see you in Heaven little buddy". I've lost several kritter friends over the years and it never gets any easier.
Quote 0 0
Tricia
Dear friend,

I'm so very sorry for the loss of your beautiful Fruity.. It doesn't matter how long we have these precious babies, they win over our hearts and become a member of our family. No matter how short a time it was, Fruity knew she was loved and you gave this baby a forever loving home. She went to the Bridge knowing this. Bless your heart for finding these babies a forever loving home.

No, it never gets easy, but we will all meet our babies again in heaven. they will be waiting for us.

Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Tricia
Tricia, Burton&Ozzie's Mom

"Good night sweet prince:And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest!"
William Shakespere's Hamlet
Quote 0 0
nicokudo
Your Fruity is such a handsome little guy.  I'm so sorry that he was with you for such a short time.  Bless you for caring for his wild little siblings as well.  Thinking of you and Fruity during this difficult time.

Karen, Kudo and Nico's mom
Earth mom to Marco and Bella
Karen,Kudo and Nico's mom
Earth mom to Marco and Bella
Quote 0 0
River
Look at those ears, so cute! Yes, bless you for having such a big heart to care for all of those kitties. It's really sad to take such care and give so much love to those little helpless creatures like Fruity and then lose them so young. I'm so sorry for your loss. But imagine what little Fruity's life would likely have been like without your kindness in giving him a loving home and caring for him.
Quote 0 0
Jparish

I turns out that Fruity had the wet form of FIP. None of his siblings or other exposed cats are showing any symptoms. Hopefully things stay that way. Most times cats can catch the virus that leads to FIP but never develope FIP. Knowing what killed Fruity doesn't make me feel any better that he's gone, but at least I know that there's nothing more I could have done - once a kitty developes FIP (especially the wet form) there is no cure. It's a terminal disease. I really wish that weren't the case. Maybe someday..

Quote 0 0
siah
i am so sorry for your loss, such a beautiful and cute kittie. i guess sometimes we all wonder why so soon and why my cat but we have no control over that.
thank you for rescueing this little kitties and give them good life even sometimes for short time.

take care

shawn
Quote 0 0
Sharbysyd
I'm so sorry for your loss of Fruitbat.  He was just adorable.  It's so hard when we lose these little furkids that we love so much.

I wish you comfort and healing during this difficult time. 

Sharon

Quote 0 0