Forum

Author   Comment  
Yaely

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello. My little Bella has hemangiosarcoma. She is a 7.5 year old Yorkie. It was found on her left thigh and last week she had surgery and they removed most of it. The only lucky thing is that it didn’t spread to any organ but since it’s a blood cance it will spread eventually. Next step is chemo and I am not sure what to do. I was hoping to hear from other members who went through the same thing for advice.
Thanks!
Sampson

Reply with quote  #2 
My sympathies as you are facing this awful decision my dear! My dog had cancer but it was not this type and was quite advanced to the point where I had to have him pts. However, I would advise asking lots of questions from the veterinarian. Will the chemo cure your dog or just prolong her life? If it will eventually spread, approximately how long will that take? What will her qualify of life be? This is so difficult because you don’t want to hold on because you can’t bear to part with her but if she can be pain free and happy then I would consider it. I’m sorry I can’t be of more help. Please do post updates as things unfold.
My best wishes for peace!
Sam
gilligan

Reply with quote  #3 
We are currently going through this with our dog, a 6-7 year old dachshund.  He had a large tumor on his spleen that was removed surgically.  We did go ahead with chemo, which he tolerated very well...my husband and I agreed before we started treatment that we would do one round of chemo and if he was miserable on it, we would stop.  He completed 5 rounds via IV and is now on a daily anti-inflammatory and low-dose oral chemo every other day.  He was diagnosed in August, and his last scan in January showed no signs of new tumors.  We were told that his prognosis without treatment was 1-3 months, and with treatment 6-9 months.  His quality of life is great, and he's the same dog he was before.  I will caution that treatment is expensive.  The oral meds he's on now are fairly reasonable, but IV chemo and ultrasounds/xrays/bloodwork are really pricey.  We know eventually the cancer will return, but we have zero regrets about treating him.  Best of luck to you and Bella.  
Yaely

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilligan
We are currently going through this with our dog, a 6-7 year old dachshund.  He had a large tumor on his spleen that was removed surgically.  We did go ahead with chemo, which he tolerated very well...my husband and I agreed before we started treatment that we would do one round of chemo and if he was miserable on it, we would stop.  He completed 5 rounds via IV and is now on a daily anti-inflammatory and low-dose oral chemo every other day.  He was diagnosed in August, and his last scan in January showed no signs of new tumors.  We were told that his prognosis without treatment was 1-3 months, and with treatment 6-9 months.  His quality of life is great, and he's the same dog he was before.  I will caution that treatment is expensive.  The oral meds he's on now are fairly reasonable, but IV chemo and ultrasounds/xrays/bloodwork are really pricey.  We know eventually the cancer will return, but we have zero regrets about treating him.  Best of luck to you and Bella.  

Thanks so much for sharing and that is what I always read online- this type of cancer mostly attacks the spleen. In Bella’s case it was on her left thigh with no sign of tumors anywhere.
She had her first chemo treatment and also tolerated it well. I hope I am doing the right thing by putting her through chemo treatment.
As for the expense- so expensive however she is insured and that is why I always tell people who decides to take a pet, especially if their are puppies, get insurance! Vet bills are very expensive and that is a life saver.

Thanks and good luck with your dog. I hope he’ll have many years of spreading love 😍
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.