MizzMeow
Hey all,

I would really like to hear your experiences helping surviving pets grieve after the loss of a fur-sibling. My cat and I just lost a feline family member, and I am trying to be attentive to my surviving kitty's needs. When he cries, I mention his "brother" and ask if he misses him (he seems to perk up at the word "brother" and meows). I also make sure to have him near. I have instituted a policy in my house banning solitary moping! Lastly, I ordered a couple of pheromone diffusers (same as they use at my vet's office) to help my kitty feel comfy when I'm away. I do plan to adopt another cat (or 2! -- sick kitty taught me a lot and I'm hoping to find another special needs kitty to assist), but I want to give myself and my surviving kitty enough time to grieve. Please share some of your stories with me!
Quote 0 0
JerseyNonna
mizzmeow, surviving furbabies often seem confused as to where their best bud has gone to.  the night I had to take my service dog roxie to the emergency vet I left tae (my daughter's pomapoo who stayed here when she went out on her own) here and told her to "watch the house for us" and that I was going to go get roxie some help at the vet.  she was waiting for me at the top of the stairs when I walked back in the door by myself and she started getting antsy trying to see where roxie was.  as I walked sadly up the stairs I looked at her and said "we lost her tae, she won't be coming back".  I read online somewhere that if you can get a lock of hair from the friend who passes and let the surviving one sniff that in their own way they come to realize their buddy is gone and seem to come to terms quicker.  that Monday morning I picked up a lock of roxie's hair from the er vet and let tae sniff at it when I got home.  she picked up that it was her buddy but that it wasn't because the scent was a bit different.  she started eating again, vocalizing to me as she always did prior.  grief hits all of us in different ways and each of us has those days where the pain just gently nuzzles us where we can cope to what I call tsunami days where the waves are so great that each hits us down with such magnitude that we feel our heart breaking all over again and the wound still raw opens wide again.  i'm certain our surviving fur-babies feel the same waves of loss in their own ways.  this is a really great place to find solace, comfort and suggestions as we're all in this together and I am so grateful for each and every person here.  many hugs, loving thoughts and prayers to you.
JerseyNonna
Quote 0 0
MizzMeow
What a great idea about locks of fur. I can tell my kitty is starting to put it together, especially when he sniffs my deceased kitty's blanket and realizes he isn't there. I have also read that some animals respond to bringing home the deceased animal's ashes (which I intend to do). These next few days won't be easy, but I'm glad my kitty and I have each other. Thank you for your kind words, JerseyNonna.
Quote 0 0
JerseyNonna
aaww anytime hon, after all, everyone here is for the same reason, living through the same heartache whether our babies were dog or cat, bird or reptile, etc.  I can assure you that it does get a wee bit easier when thinking of your beloved friend brings you smiles remembering the good times rather than the tears and heartache brought by the last horrible day.  many hugs to you along with prayers
JerseyNonna
Quote 0 0