Bywater326
Monday night, my 2, 11 month German shepherds got out of my yard. My dad had been at my home earlier that day and didn't properly close and lock the gate. I didn't see it until they were already gone. Friends and family helped me search for the next 24 hours, and the outpouring of support was incredible. By Tuesday night, we confirmed the boy, Rocky, had been struck by a car and died. A few hours later, his sister Riley was brought to the local shelter without any physical injury and I was able to bring her home. I have forgiven my dad for his mistake, but I don't trust him to watch Riley while I am on my 24 hour shifts. With his age, he has gotten too forgetful. Riley is doing ok. Sometimes she gets down and she isn't eating as much, but she still gets excited when I'm around. I don't know how quickly I should adopt another dog. I can see that Riley is lonely and misses having a playmate. This is the first time in her life that she has been without her brother around. But I don't know if its thing for her to bring in another dog so soon.
Quote 0 0
Mistysmama
I am so sorry for your loss of Rocky, bless him. You must be hurting very much over that awful accident.
I can understand how you daren't trust your Dad to watch Riley now when you are on a shift. He must also feel completely sorrowful about what happened.
Accidents can happen like that. One minute all is well, the next.....a dog will run right through our smallest mistake. And traffic is always dangerous.

I wonder, is there a friend, or pet sitter who can come for a few hours in the middle of the day to help out?

It's hard to know if Riley would like another friend to enter the family so soon....She might. If she's a type of personality who needs company she might appreciate that. They do grieve the ones who have passed. They know who they are, and they know they have gone. Some can't bear another to come in....and some need the company and are better for it.

Has she ever shown any "motherly" instincts? If so, then maybe a young dog might be the best companion for her. A rapid bond can sometimes happen under those circumstances. But it depends on her temperament. Some dogs might even be annoyed by that.

Also, if she is a matriarch-temperament, she might prefer a dog who is more submissive and gentler.....etc.

But I do think she should choose. You will be able to tell if or when she relates to another dog. I wonder if you could take her to an animal Rescue, and see how she does with some of the dogs? That might take a little while, and not be a quick fix, as she gets used to the other dog, through frequent visits before making any decision.

They are as different in their characters and needs as we are.
Hold the love like a little light. It is all you have, or will ever have, to find your way home.

Misty's Blog..a Dogfight with Cancer http://www.mistysblog69.blogspot.co.uk

Misty's life after death: http://www.dog2spirit.com
Quote 0 0